E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
Today my car overheated due to it leaking a huge amount of water. Now I have to see what is leaking tomorrow morning. Guys, I like how the car drives; I just hate the stupidity BMW invested in how reliable they made the car, and I'm pointing out the cooling system. Why the need of an expansion tank ? Why not just a simple radiator without all the additional unnecessary fragile plastic they add ? If I could go back or had the option, I'd go for an STI !
I haven't seen a cooling system w/out an expansion/overflow tank of some sort for at least 30 years. Some of them might not, I just don't know of any.

Last edited by 330iPilot; 12-20-2012 at 11:54 AM.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
I haven't seen a cooling system w/out an expansion/overflow tank of some sort for at least 30 years. Some of them might not, I just don't know of any.
They all have some sort of reservoir as does any fluid system on the vehicle (engine/tranny are built in). The difference on ours is that it is 100% sealed and pressurized. Regular reservoirs are at atmospheric pressure.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
Every other car I've ever worked on has only had a radiator, water pump, upper/lower radiator hoses, thermostat, heater core/hoses and that's it. Our cars seem to be full of unnecessary plastic crap we don't need. It's already been understood it's the weakest link of the car, so why defend it with when there's no wise logic behind this? It's so stupid. It's my first time seeing this "expansion tank" addition crap.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
always-there

* coolant reservoir.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
always-there

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
They all have some sort of reservoir as does any fluid system on the vehicle (engine/tranny are built in). The difference on ours is that it is 100% sealed and pressurized. Regular reservoirs are at atmospheric pressure.
Right. Other cars have the much simpler coolant overflow reservoir so why in the world do we need the vulnerable crap we have to replace and worry of blowing up all the time? Look at all these other cars who don't utilize this "expansion" tank; they don't have this problem. Don't get me wrong, I love how the car handles, I just despise how needy it is due to BMW's lack of constructing a tougher cooling system.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #26
boongsin12

My Ride: none
Our cooling system is pressurized, hence we have pressure cap.
Our engine temperature is hotter than most cars hence we need higher pressure.

P/T = nR/V. We can assume the right hand side as constant. Then higher pressure leads to higher temperature. Which is more efficient.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App

2001 330Ci

Last edited by boongsin12; 12-20-2012 at 12:15 PM.
boongsin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
WDE46

Quote:
Right. Other cars have the much simpler coolant overflow reservoir so why in the world do we need the vulnerable crap we have to replace and worry of blowing up all the time? Look at all these other cars who don't utilize this "expansion" tank; they don't have this problem. Don't get me wrong, I love how the car handles, I just despise how needy it is due to BMW's lack of constructing a tougher cooling system.
I wish I could think of a good reason for it. All I can think is that they wanted it to be a minimum volume (2 gallons is tiny) so they had to pressurize it because of concerns about boiling the coolant. The pressure also eliminates cavitation which would reduce the water pump efficiency. Cavitation also eats the material surrounding the location of the cavitation.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #28
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
It's not that I'm "unreliable", the previous owner just neglected to maintain this car so much that I'm stuck having to renew literally the whole car. Unreliable? Nope. I take care of all my cars.

You bought a used car... what did you expect?

(Please pardon my auto-correct)
Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
always-there

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post

Lol
Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #30
always-there

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post

I'm well aware of the obvious. My point is that the e46 cooling system is retarted and weak.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #31
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
I'm well aware of the obvious. My point is that the e46 cooling system is retarted and weak.
No. Owners are retarded and weak. I'm on my 6th BMW and have driven well over 250,000 actual driving miles. I've never had a problem with any of my BMW cooling systems.

I do, however, have first-hand experience with cooling system failures of other makes including Toyota, Inifniti (brand new off the lot Inifniti that blew its transmission due to a blown cooling system off the showroom floor--few k miles), Honda, etc.

Never BMW though. Easily the most reliable brand I've ever owned. Would never drive anything else.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #32
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Why not just find the leak and fix it, or take the more expensive route and replace everything? Coolant leaks don't get better, you should've fixed it instead of driving it when you knew you had to add water every morning.

I think your water pump install was botched, and created the leak. You said it didn't leak before that.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #33
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Why not just find the leak and fix it, or take the more expensive route and replace everything? Coolant leaks don't get better, you should've fixed it instead of driving it when you knew you had to add water every morning.

I think your water pump install was botched, and created the leak. You said it didn't leak before that.
I'm thinking you are right. People pinch the WP oring on install and ruin the seal sometimes.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #34
always-there

I took a look at the water pump and around the area to see if there were any wet spots and nope. Did I install the expansion tank incorrectly maybe! There's small pieces at the bottom of the expansion tank were it connects. Maybe i didn't install it right? I did out it back the way it was on the older tank. Any pics or vids I can look at to see where I could have gone wrong ? Mango I know you have this info!!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #35
WDE46

He'll ask you why you didn't replace the radiator hoses as well
Old 12-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #36
always-there

^ Mango, don't ask me that. Tell me more about the expansion tank and how to correctly install it, please? Lol.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
^ Mango, don't ask me that. Tell me more about the expansion tank and how to correctly install it, please? Lol.
you just seat it down firmly then snap the locking clip into place. You'll know you've pushed it down far enough when the hook of the expansion tank hooks onto the ET bracket

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #38
always-there

Facepalm...I remember accidentally breaking the clip. Prior to this, I still had a leak. Buy the clip now ?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #39
always-there

I have a new tank installed, but I don't think it came with it?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #40
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Did the ET click? It's probably not seated.