E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
devin_name

My Ride: 2004 325i
Gluten free

So I posted on here a few months ago about tips on losing weight and pretty much got blasted for my current diet / workout routine. It's frustrating when you talk to 10 different people and get 10 different theories.

Anyway, I finally went to the doctor and gave a really thorough explanation of my situation and basically wouldn't leave till I got an answer... the answer being... i'm alergic to gluten.

So it's been a month now, made slight changes to diet to accomodate the alergy... workout routine is more or less the same... but I've lost almost 20 pounds! More eenergy, don't feel bloated all the time... it's great.

So wondering if there are any other people on here in my situation... share recipes... things to avoid... etc etc. Also tips on working out would be great too. I noticed my stamina isn't the same, perhaps from fewer carbs???

Anyway, any advice and tips would be great;ly appreciated.
devin_name is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
honestly, best bet is to try the food forum. I also think a member by the name of ghorn has the same allergy you do.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
devin_name

Oh wow, I feel like a moron... didn't even realize there was a food section. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
devin_name

So I've been on this gluten free diet about two months now and I've lost 32 lbs. It's crazy how the weight keeps coming off. But I'm not really looking any different. Any tips on getting skin to tighten back up faster? Minimize the sag so to speak... lol.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin_name View Post
So I've been on this gluten free diet about two months now and I've lost 32 lbs. It's crazy how the weight keeps coming off. But I'm not really looking any different. Any tips on getting skin to tighten back up faster? Minimize the sag so to speak... lol.
that's very odd unless you are very very heavy.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
If you have celiacs, that's a big deal. Sounds like your case isn't too serious... my grandpa had it and it was debilitating. Then again, he had it when basically nobody knew what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
devin_name

Yeah, my case is fairly mild... stomach aches and that's about it... but... the weight loss I'm told is pretty normal. Would I say I'm very heavy... no! But I do have weight to lose. Considering my workout routine and typical diet the celiacs explains why I couldn't lose weight in the past. Anyway... any tips to tighten the skin up faster?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
I believe I have the same allergy. I've been on the diet for 3 months or so. I generally feel better. It is annoying to eat out, but it's actually healthier in the long run. I'm about to move into trying some recipes from scratch.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
speedcrazy1532

The thing you have to be most careful of it that many things that are naturally made of wheat based products are often not nutritious in their "Gluten free" state. In other words, stick with things that are naturally gluten free.

-Phil
Old 07-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
So I posted on here a few months ago about tips on losing weight and pretty much got blasted for my current diet / workout routine. It's frustrating when you talk to 10 different people and get 10 different theories.

Anyway, I finally went to the doctor and gave a really thorough explanation of my situation and basically wouldn't leave till I got an answer... the answer being... i'm alergic to gluten.

So it's been a month now, made slight changes to diet to accomodate the alergy... workout routine is more or less the same... but I've lost almost 20 pounds! More eenergy, don't feel bloated all the time... it's great.

So wondering if there are any other people on here in my situation... share recipes... things to avoid... etc etc. Also tips on working out would be great too. I noticed my stamina isn't the same, perhaps from fewer carbs???

Anyway, any advice and tips would be great;ly appreciated.
Yeah, I have celiac disease (started a thread a while back: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...ghlight=celiac). Are you gluten intolerant, or do you have celiac?

I won't sugar coat it, having to look out for gluten is a total pain at first--especially when it comes to eating out. I've gotten sick countless times from eating out since I was diagnosed. It's not just the ingredients they use that you have to worry about, it's also the preparation. For ex., a gluten contaminated pan. Also, sometimes it's just a lack of knowledge on the part of the chef/kitchen. They may think that since the dish's ingredients is free of gluten, then you won't get sick. This isn't the case.

If you don't cook much, start to. Never assume something is free of gluten, unless it's something like a clean protein w/out seasoning or fruit/veg. There are a ton of online resources for recipes and the like. If you have a smart phone there are g-free apps that give you g-free restaurants (by proximity) and searchable lists of g-free grocery items.

Always research ingedients online. You'll find gluten in some weird places, like soy sauce (there's a gluten free equivalent called tamari), and envelope stickum.

Think Thin bars (high protein, low sugar) and Kind Bars make great snacks and they're starting to show up in a lot more stores. I think most Starbucks carry Kind Bars.

I've been livin' the g-free life for almost 2 years now. If you have any other questions, let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
Yeah, I have celiac disease (started a thread a while back: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...ghlight=celiac). Are you gluten intolerant, or do you have celiac?

I won't sugar coat it, having to look out for gluten is a total pain at first--especially when it comes to eating out. I've gotten sick countless times from eating out since I was diagnosed. It's not just the ingredients they use that you have to worry about, it's also the preparation. For ex., a gluten contaminated pan. Also, sometimes it's just a lack of knowledge on the part of the chef/kitchen. They may think that since the dish's ingredients is free of gluten, then you won't get sick. This isn't the case.

If you don't cook much, start to. Never assume something is free of gluten, unless it's something like a clean protein w/out seasoning or fruit/veg. There are a ton of online resources for recipes and the like. If you have a smart phone there are g-free apps that give you g-free restaurants (by proximity) and searchable lists of g-free grocery items.

Always research ingedients online. You'll find gluten in some weird places, like soy sauce (there's a gluten free equivalent called tamari), and envelope stickum.

Think Thin bars (high protein, low sugar) and Kind Bars make great snacks and they're starting to show up in a lot more stores. I think most Starbucks carry Kind Bars.

I've been livin' the g-free life for almost 2 years now. If you have any other questions, let me know!
Is a gluten free diet similar to paleo? No grains or processed foods. Meats, veggies, and fruits are pretty much the diet.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
ghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Is a gluten free diet similar to paleo? No grains or processed foods. Meats, veggies, and fruits are pretty much the diet.
Somewhat similar. I end up eating the above most of the time. Except, I can't live without rice.

Since gluten is in so many processed foods you end up cutting most of them out. You can't kiss anything fried goodbye. Even though french fries are gluten free (for the most part), the oil gets contaminated by the breaded items they fry in the oil. No more beer--g-free beer BLOWS.

The fried food & beer probably accounted for the majority of the 50lbs I lost after going g-free But, as I'm sure most here know, simply going g-free won't necessarily lead to weight loss.

Quote:
Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
DylloS

Quote:
Somewhat similar. I end up eating the above most of the time. Except, I can't live without rice.

Since gluten is in so many processed foods you end up cutting most of them out. You can't kiss anything fried goodbye. Even though french fries are gluten free (for the most part), the oil gets contaminated by the breaded items they fry in the oil. No more beer--g-free beer BLOWS.

The fried food & beer probably accounted for the majority of the 50lbs I lost after going g-free But, as I'm sure most here know, simply going g-free won't necessarily lead to weight loss.
Holy **** that's awesome. Ive always battled allergies and they seem to never fully go away. I've been eating semi paleo for a week or two and I've been very clear. Almost no gluten at all. Is that a symptom of gluten maybe or would I be getting physically sick?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
devin_name

Good info guys, thanks for the support. I don't know if it's celiacs or just an alergy. Doctor just said to avoid it. I can eat a piece of bread and be fine... bowl of pasta though makes me feel all bloated and crampy for about 24 hours.

I personally have never been a fried food kind of guy, and never drank soda and juices either... my diet has always been fairly good and I've always stayed active. i also like to cook so tweaking the recipes has actually been fun. But as you all say, eating out sucks... miht as well stay in.

Doctor told me taht weight loss is common for two reasons... how my body has been digesting and storing foods as well as teh change in diet ie; more whole foods and vegies versus processed foods.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #15
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
Holy **** that's awesome. Ive always battled allergies and they seem to never fully go away. I've been eating semi paleo for a week or two and I've been very clear. Almost no gluten at all. Is that a symptom of gluten maybe or would I be getting physically sick?
If you had celiac you would be in the bathroom. Alot. If you're just intolerant than it could be any number of things. For me, I get constant belching and air in my chest when I eat it. It's really annoying ans sometimes scary because the pressure can be so great.

-Phil
Old 07-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
ghorn

Quote:
As speed mentioned, yeah, you'd be having some serious intestinal discomfort. Some celiacs get hives, swollen limbs, and I've read there can be neurological symptoms as well. I guess that has to do with it being an autoimmune disease--can attack different areas in different ppl.

But, I have read that for non-celiacs cutting out gluten can leave you feeling better.

Quote:
Good info guys, thanks for the support. I don't know if it's celiacs or just an alergy. Doctor just said to avoid it. I can eat a piece of bread and be fine... bowl of pasta though makes me feel all bloated and crampy for about 24 hours.

I personally have never been a fried food kind of guy, and never drank soda and juices either... my diet has always been fairly good and I've always stayed active. i also like to cook so tweaking the recipes has actually been fun. But as you all say, eating out sucks... miht as well stay in.

Doctor told me taht weight loss is common for two reasons... how my body has been digesting and storing foods as well as teh change in diet ie; more whole foods and vegies versus processed foods.
Well that's good to hear! If you can eat a piece of bread and be ok, I'd think you definitely don't have celiac. They diagnosed me via a blood test and endoscopy--they could actually see the physical damage done the the villi in my gut, which are these little finger shaped things that absorb nutrients from the food you're digesting. Eating out will get easier. Best of luck, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
If you had celiac you would be in the bathroom. Alot. If you're just intolerant than it could be any number of things. For me, I get constant belching and air in my chest when I eat it. It's really annoying ans sometimes scary because the pressure can be so great.
A fellow celiac? Hello, brother. lol.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
As speed mentioned, yeah, you'd be having some serious intestinal discomfort. Some celiacs get hives, swollen limbs, and I've read there can be neurological symptoms as well. I guess that has to do with it being an autoimmune disease--can attack different areas in different ppl.

But, I have read that for non-celiacs cutting out gluten can leave you feeling better.

A fellow celiac? Hello, brother. lol.
It is difficult to explain to people how wheat is in everything. Something like the paleo diet is a mere scrape on the surface of what it would mean to actually not eat wheat at all. Some vinegars are distilled from wheat but you wouldn't know by reading the ingredients, products that are not made from wheat often share equipment with wheat which means that food could be contaminated. Restaurant prep areas can allow cross contamination, buffets are like a huge question mark and things like envelopes can ruin your day. Add to that the fact that most people have no idea what thier food is made of.

I actually just had an experience at Patsy's in Atlantic City a top notch restaurant (Solly may know the original in NY). I notified the server that I was allergic to wheat and he informed me that the only thing that had wheat on the entire menu was the Whole Wheat Pasta. I was actually pretty scared from that point on. I ordered a calamari salad, which was not fried and they brought me the fried version. I asked the server if the dinner entree I was ordereding contained grilled chicken and he said yes. When the dinner arrived the chicken was covered in egg batter.

It may seem like an annoyance that can be dealt with but some people are allergic to the point where they experience Anaphylaxis which means thier throat closes up and they could die.

All this and I'm not even a Celiac. I just have some sort of an issue with digsting wheat. I burp for hours afterward and get intense air pressure in my chest. Celiacs like ghorn have it way worse.

-Phil
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #18
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
WOW, I didn't know how sensitive some of you actually are... trace amounts in vinegar and soy?! Eff that. I hope I never become sensitive to gluten, love me some pasta. GOD SPEED brothers.

For those feeling nerdy this morning like myself, I attached the mechanisms of action for gluten and gliadin (glycoprotein in wheat) in the gut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gluten.png
Views:	25
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	411288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gliadin.png
Views:	23
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	411289  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
ghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
It is difficult to explain to people how wheat is in everything. Something like the paleo diet is a mere scrape on the surface of what it would mean to actually not eat wheat at all. Some vinegars are distilled from wheat but you wouldn't know by reading the ingredients, products that are not made from wheat often share equipment with wheat which means that food could be contaminated. Restaurant prep areas can allow cross contamination, buffets are like a huge question mark and things like envelopes can ruin your day. Add to that the fact that most people have no idea what thier food is made of.
EXACTLY! It's as though you have to take a leap of faith every time you eat out. Whether it's cross-contamination, or their lack of knowledge, you never really know if you're going to be safe, until you find out the hard way. When they say "What's gluten" that's never a good sign. And, I absolute hate seeing "made on shared equipment" on the back of boxes, b/c I feel like I can't take the chance.

Quote:
I actually just had an experience at Patsy's in Atlantic City a top notch restaurant (Solly may know the original in NY). I notified the server that I was allergic to wheat and he informed me that the only thing that had wheat on the entire menu was the Whole Wheat Pasta. I was actually pretty scared from that point on. I ordered a calamari salad, which was not fried and they brought me the fried version. I asked the server if the dinner entree I was ordereding contained grilled chicken and he said yes. When the dinner arrived the chicken was covered in egg batter.
Had a similar experience at a Morton's Steakhouse here in L.A on Xmas eve. They told me their jus on the steak had gluten, but they'd leave it off. Well, they didn't. Spent most of Xmas day violently ill.

Quote:
All this and I'm not even a Celiac. I just have some sort of an issue with digsting wheat. I burp for hours afterward and get intense air pressure in my chest. Celiacs like ghorn have it way worse.
Sounds like you have a bad case of gluten intolerance. I feel your pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock View Post
WOW, I didn't know how sensitive some of you actually are... trace amounts in vinegar and soy?! Eff that. I hope I never become sensitive to gluten, love me some pasta. GOD SPEED brothers.

For those feeling nerdy this morning like myself, I attached the mechanisms of action for gluten and gliadin (glycoprotein in wheat) in the gut.
Yup. And if they put a gluten free item (for ex. french fries) in a deep fryer where breaded items are cooked, you'll get sick from the cross-contaminated oil too. Yeah, corn & rice pasta just isn't the same. I miss (real) pizza & (real) beer the most!!

Quote:
Old 08-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #20
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
Sounds like you have a bad case of gluten intolerance. I feel your pain!
Oddest thing is that when I started having this problem I was tested for allergens. They actually took a piece of my stomach and said I have no allergies. I figured it out on my own. I'm actually wondering if this is really my problem or if it's something else entirely. Once next year gets here I'm signing up for my companies top notch health coverage and going to town on the tests. The last one they wanted to do was a HIDA scan and I never followed through.

-Phil