E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
bmwci323

My Ride: 00 323ci
No air con!

Hi there..

I am chasing a issue of no air conditioning this weekend and I did a thorough check of the system. The compressor wouldn't turn on , I chased it to no refrigerant.
I got the system filled up to 45psi.
The compressor now turns on when i engage the ac! But.. The fan does not turn on with the compressor, and the air put of the vents isn't cold whatsoever!

Now.. I do know my fan works, It turns on while sitting idle on traffic.

Oddly enough, if I unplug the AC pressure switch from the drier(?) the fan turns on full gusto, I mean damn full on, it turns off and on with the snowflake ac switch in the interior. Note, the. Compressor does turn off with the switch now disconnected..

Sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes and grammar issues , typing from my phone is a pain in the rear!
bmwci323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
fixnit4u

My Ride: 2002 325ci Jet Black
No air con!

Which fan, condenser fan or a/c cabin blower?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
fixnit4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
bmwci323

The electric fan, which sits in front of my motor against the condenser .
Old 07-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Your outside temperature gauge doesn't happen to say it's -40 degrees outside, does it? If so, that will cause an AC to not work.

Also, not sure about the 45psi, as I know my system needs 1.86 lbs. of refrigerant...I don't know where you got the psi rating from...but if it's correct, it 'could' be that the switch you disconnected is wonky. It probably sends a code, but I'm not sure.

I'm just guessing it's the switch based on your story...it could probably be a number of other things too

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
m0nk3yb0n3

My Ride: 2002 Grey 330i
Where is the low side port on the ac system? Is it the one by the firewall or the radiator? '02 330i BTW.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
WDE46
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
45 psi sounds like the low side. the high side should be something like 200 shouldn't it...
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
bmwci323

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Your outside temperature gauge doesn't happen to say it's -40 degrees outside, does it? If so, that will cause an AC to not work.

Also, not sure about the 45psi, as I know my system needs 1.86 lbs. of refrigerant...I don't know where you got the psi rating from...but if it's correct, it 'could' be that the switch you disconnected is wonky. It probably sends a code, but I'm not sure.

I'm just guessing it's the switch based on your story...it could probably be a number of other things too
Forgot to mention, yes my temperature gauge reads the Correct outside temp.
I was sort of thinking the pressure switch too, but that wouldn't allow the compressor to turn on..
Old 07-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
It was an okay movie...oh wait that was Con Air.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
bmwci323

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
It was an okay movie...oh wait that was Con Air.
This guy ^
Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Slapsys

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nk3yb0n3 View Post
Where is the low side port on the ac system? Is it the one by the firewall or the radiator? '02 330i BTW.
Use the port that's next to the firewall. Don't touch the one by the front. That's the return when they do the refridgerant proffessionally (at the shop).
Slapsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapsys View Post
Use the port that's next to the firewall. Don't touch the one by the front. That's the return when they do the refridgerant proffessionally (at the shop).
No, that is not true!

One port by the firewall is the low pressure port and the other at the front is the High pressure port.

It is used to measure the high side pressure.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
You have an overcharged system and need to look at your system pressures. The pressure switch is telling you your high.side is too high and the compressor will not run when pressure is too high.

Put a set of gauges on it to verify where your pressures are.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Slapsys

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
No, that is not true!

One port by the firewall is the low pressure port and the other at the front is the High pressure port.

It is used to measure the high side pressure.
I stand corrected. Thanks. If I'm topping up the freon that I got from AutoValu or Pep Boys, I use only the one near the firewall, correct?
Slapsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
WDE46
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
No air con!

This thread is why you just go to an AC shop and have them use their machine. Do it right do it once.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
bmwci323

The pressure was 45 psi, which is in range!
The compressor does turn on and spin. But the fan does not!

If I unplug the pressure switch, the compressor stops spinning and the electric fan starts spinning full tilt.

Iam very confused.
It seems my fan does work, but why doesn't it worth in conjunction with the compressor?
Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
m3cabrio

My Ride: convert m3
45 psi is low. Techincally you should be around 60 to 70 psi on both low and high side. Both low and high should be even.
If high side is too high your aux fan will constantly kick on and off trying to lower the pressure.
If pressure is too low the fan wont kick on since the pressure is too low.
Easiest way to check right now with no gauges is turn your ac on and close all the vents except the vents in the middle of your dash. Put it on high and check with a thermometer and see if all the vents are blowing out the same temp. If the drivers side is lower than the pass side then your low on freon.

Im a hundred percent sure your low on freon since you mentioned 45 psi.

Good luck and keep us posted.
m3cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
m3cabrio

By the way.

Low side port is by the firwall with the smaller port. High side is next to the front right side of the engine with the bigger port. Forgot to mention that.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
bmwci323

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3cabrio View Post
45 psi is low. Techincally you should be around 60 to 70 psi on both low and high side. Both low and high should be even.
If high side is too high your aux fan will constantly kick on and off trying to lower the pressure.
If pressure is too low the fan wont kick on since the pressure is too low.
Easiest way to check right now with no gauges is turn your ac on and close all the vents except the vents in the middle of your dash. Put it on high and check with a thermometer and see if all the vents are blowing out the same temp. If the drivers side is lower than the pass side then your low on freon.

Im a hundred percent sure your low on freon since you mentioned 45 psi.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Your saying Iam low? I am pretty positivity I read around saying 30-45 psi is recommended , the gauge blue Zone ends at 50 psi .
Second to that, so the compressor kicks in at lower psi then the fan?
Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwci323 View Post
Your saying Iam low? I am pretty positivity I read around saying 30-45 psi is recommended , the gauge blue Zone ends at 50 psi .
Don't go by the gauges on those fill bottles. You want a lower low side pressure. The pressure.is directly related to temperature. If you increase low side pressure, your evap. Temperature will be higher. Optimum is 34-40 degrees F. Look at a real gauge set and you will see the temp associated with the pressure.

You need to check out your system to see if anything is wrong.

Since you are talking about your Aux fan on the front of the car, you should look at your lower radiator hose temp sensor. Turn your car on and then turn your ac on to see if it turns on, then disconnect the wires from your lower temp sensor and see.if your fan comes on full blast.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
m3cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwci323 View Post

Yes sir. Average on both ends high and low should read between 60 to 70 psi.

The fan isnt coming on because you have low pressure. Check what I posted earlier with a digital thermometer or take it to a shop and have them do a evac and recharge with the correct charge.