E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
IL IN MI MN OH WI

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Passnu2

My Ride: Sport Wagon
anyone install a remote start e46?

looking to install it myself if its not too much. normally I would take it to a place but this time and given the age of the car not looking to get crazy here. I can take my time and the garage is heated so if it took a few days or I had an issue I have other cars to drive.

also what have other used and had luck with? all of my most recent remote starts have been "Auto Start" with no issues. Im sure many of these are all coming out of the same MFG facility and getting private labeled.

Thanks
Mike
Passnu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
assembler

My Ride: 2001 325i
You don't say what year your car is and that's the major factor here. If the key has a chip in it that enables the EWS driveaway protection/engine disable you're probably not going to want to tackle this yourself. If you take it to a reputable shop they'll use one of your spare keys (or valet) and integrate it into the system to activate the remote start. I had an acquaintance a while back that tried doing this himself (he was great at car audio installations and figured he could handle it). it worked fine for a while and then one day it locked up on him and even his regular key wouldn't work. cost him a ton of money to sort it all out in the end.
assembler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Passnu2

oops thought that was displayed, its a 2000, I ordered the stuff so will see how it goes. I found a DIY on here in the main forum section. I also plan to write to new keys to the EWS so I can report back how it goes. Need to get one last thing. I only have one key with the car so for anyone to do the remote start I have to have more keys and what the BMW dealer wants to order isnt worth the expense.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
BMWjunkie77

My Ride: 2002 ///M3
I hope that with this remote start you don't plan to start your car and let it warm up in the driveway, as it's recommended with these motors that you get in the car and drive it as soon as the idle drops and that you don't let the motor just sit and warm up. Sitting and letting it up is not good for the motor, just a word of advice. I am eager to see how the install goes.

2002 Jet Black/Grey///M3
2002 330ci-GONE

"Bags are for dead hookers"
BMWjunkie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Passnu2

Thanks for the advice! hopefully the install goes well. I think, assuming I can figure it out, you can time how long the car runs for. Not looking for much figured like 5 minutes and it wont get used very often. I would assume in the extreme cold temps that 5 min should be enough to then jump in and drive away.