E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
Washer fluid leaking

So I've owned my car for a while now, and I top up my fluid regularly. Tonight for the first time I had my fluid level low sensor trip. Got out, tank is bone dry. So I top it up to have all the fluid I put in, pour out all over my feet. I lifted the tank out and inspected it, tank holds fluid fine. Fluid seems to be leaking out of the front sprayer on the passenger side, or something around there. Is there a specific weak point of the system around there? Anyone ever experienced this ?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Only thing I can think of is an internal leak/failure of the washer pump unit. When that happens, it allows fluids to pass through. Check to see if there is any evidence around the unit, usually you'll see rust residue...
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
GT172I

My Ride: 2004 330Ci, 335is
I also had a leak on mine where the pump for the headlight washers wasn't sealing properly to the tank gasket. Of course I found this after disassembling and cleaning the entire headlight/hose/sprayers. Slapped a little RTV on it and good to go. When I was researching it however I did find a couple instances of the check valve on the sprayer failing and allowing fluid to dribble out.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
Took mine apart today, when you fill it up it leaks out around the headlight washer cylinder (the part that extends out) so gotta replace it and the nozzle looks like. Ordered parts from ecs, should get em in a few days. For anyone who has the same problem as mine here's a good, DIY. It's relevant to all years mines an 2001 and came apart the same as the DIY.

Here's the link,

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1757442

Last edited by DBrown; 11-30-2012 at 07:44 PM.
DBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
aftCG

My Ride: 330i
Not to blow too much dust off of an old thread, but my left headlight was leaking washer fluid and it was the cylinder as pointed out in the last post. $65 part on ebay, so not the cheapest repair I've done but not too bad.

The link posted is a good DIY write up. The cylinder itself is not serviceable, so I'm on the hunt right now.
aftCG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washer fluid leak