E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
myles01

My Ride: 330i 02'
Sell 02' 330i or keep?

Hi everyone,

I am debating on whether to sell my 2002 330i, I have had the car since 107,000 miles and it now has 212,000 miles on it. It is an automatic transmission, original. I have replaced the power steering system,parts of the cooling system and various other parts.. I am in college so I do not have unlimited funds..just trying to figure out the cheapest option to stay in a BMW.

The car now needs:
tie rods
right control arm
steering rack boots
cooling hoses under the vehicle
oil separator (my mechanic has patched it up for the time being and the codes have been cleared.
I also believe the DISA needs to be replaced soon.

Would you keep the car and fix all that, or sell it and take another 5,000 and get one with lower mileage?

Thanks

Last edited by myles01; 12-25-2012 at 12:07 AM.
myles01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
SteadyMobbin

My Ride: ImolaZHP 6spd M/T
Swap in a 5 speed if you plan to keep
SteadyMobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by myles01 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am debating on whether to sell my 2002 330i, I have had the car since 107,000 miles and it now has 212,000 miles on it. It is an automatic transmission, original. I have replaced the power steering system,parts of the cooling system and various other parts.. I am in college so I do not have unlimited funds..just trying to figure out the cheapest option to stay in a BMW.

The car now needs:
tie rods
right control arm
steering rack boots
oil separator (my mechanic has patched it up for the time being and the codes have been cleared.

Would you keep the car and fix all that, or sell it and take another 5,000 and get one with lower mileage?

Thanks
If funds are tight I would unload the car and find another car that requires less money and attention.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyMobbin View Post
Swap in a 5 speed if you plan to keep
Doesn't make sense. He is planning to sell it to refrain from spending on it and you are advising on spending more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
If funds are tight I would unload the car and find another car that requires less money and attention.
+1
Old 12-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
SteadyMobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Doesn't make sense. He is planning to sell it to refrain from spending on it and you are advising on spending more money.

+1
Alot cheaper then rebuilding an auto tranny once it fails...and at that mileage id be worried...
Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
Sounds like really cheap **** to be considering selling it over...

I mean, even if you were selling the car you'd probably be better to fix that **** to get better $$ for the car because now you are trying to sell a worthless poorly maintained high mileage p.o.s.

Should have sold it 2 years ago if you couldn't afford it or kept up on the maintenance.

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
myles01

I can fix all of that..just worried about the auto transmission. It's not a POS.. If you knew the entire list of components replaced. I spend 57,000 a year on school.. I could buy a new one if I quit school.. I'm not poor by any means.. just economically efficient. No need to be rude.. I was only asking for advice.
...it was my sisters first car new.. I got it at 107,000 have every service record for the vehicle.

Last edited by myles01; 12-25-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyMobbin View Post
Alot cheaper then rebuilding an auto tranny once it fails...and at that mileage id be worried...
Yah, once it fails that is. Right now it hasnt failed. I am pretty sure if the auto transmission gives out he is not going to keep the car let alone doing the swap to a manual or another auto on the same car.

OP, as you are in school and know the car well I say sort out the issues and keep it.
Another used car will come with its own set of needed repairs.

You wont get much money from your car as its considered very high miles now whether you sort out the current issues or not.

If you are tired of the car, then sell it without any repairs with full disclosure and buy a more reliable/less maintenance prone car.

I am in the same position as you are, the time it has taken on maintenance is really getting on my nerves. I would like to use my time otherwise than working or thinking about working on the car for the next maintenance/repair. But I have put a lot of time/money to it and just dont want to give up. At least till I get out of university and get a job. Then it will be my beater. If something major breaks then its going to scrap yard or sell it for cheap.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
myles01

Exactly how I feel!!
I will probably just fix the issues and keep it for the next couple of years and drive it less.. and hope the transmission can hold out another few thousand miles.. It shifts smoothly no issues, knock on wood, but I just feel like I'm pushing my luck. Lol
Old 12-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
trj

Quote:
I can fix all of that..just worried about the auto transmission. It's not a POS.. If you knew the entire list of components replaced. I spend 57,000 a year on school.. I could buy a new one if I quit school.. I'm not poor by any means.. just economically efficient. No need to be rude.. I was only asking for advice.
...it was my sisters first car new.. I got it at 107,000 have every service record for the vehicle.
Agree with you. Money is not a problem, but time is(at least for me). I would rather do something better with my time than working on the car all the time.

The question is, do you really want to keep the car or want to buy another used car which may require maintenance as well.

Dont worry about the transmission. If it is not showing any problems, nothing will happen. If it does break, just sell it. With that many miles you are not going to get a lot of money anyway. With a working transmission, may be $500~800 more. If people want to do a manual swap then they dont care anyway, they will be happier as they can get a car for cheaper as they dont have to pay for the working transmission that they have to toss out.

Just drive the car till you get tired of it.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
SteadyMobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Yah, once it fails that is. Right now it hasnt failed. I am pretty sure if the auto transmission gives out he is not going to keep the car let alone doing the swap to a manual or another auto on the same car.

OP, as you are in school and know the car well I say sort out the issues and keep it.
Another used car will come with its own set of needed repairs.

You wont get much money from your car as its considered very high miles now whether you sort out the current issues or not.

If you are tired of the car, then sell it without any repairs with full disclosure and buy a more reliable/less maintenance prone car.

I am in the same position as you are, the time it has taken on maintenance is really getting on my nerves. I would like to use my time otherwise than working or thinking about working on the car for the next maintenance/repair. But I have put a lot of time/money to it and just dont want to give up. At least till I get out of university and get a job. Then it will be my beater. If something major breaks then its going to scrap yard or sell it for cheap.
Why dont you Write an essay on it. Op sounds like your car has a solid engine with those miles if its still running strong. Id say keep since you cant get much money for it, and you never know what your really getting into when buying another one. Replace what needs attention, then start saving for that manual swap.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
jcns

My Ride: California
Quote:
Hi everyone,

The car now needs:
tie rods
right control arm
steering rack boots

Thanks
the repairs you list will cost much less than $5k you are planning to add to another used car with unknown maintenance history
I don't think you will get much for your car if you try to sell it.
I would keep it, fix it, and keep driving until the wheels fall off.
Put yourself in the buyers shoes, car with 212k miles, with needed repairs, how much would you pay for it IF you would consider buying such car to begin with?
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
park it.
buy a $1000 Honda civic and get a job
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
I hate these threads.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
myles01

Merry Christmas!! So I woke up today and was unwrapping gifts..my dad made me wait till the end to open up this small box...and I unwrapped a BMW key...I got a 335i!!!! He had it in the neighbors garage! Best Christmas ever! ...I guess enough complaining.lol
Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
you should have cried and asked for a porsche 911
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Merry Christmas!! So I woke up today and was unwrapping gifts..my dad made me wait till the end to open up this small box...and I unwrapped a BMW key...I got a 335i!!!! He had it in the neighbors garage! Best Christmas ever! ...I guess enough complaining.lol
Nice thread jack. OP, you should keep your car. Fix all that minor stuff and drive like a normal person. Swap trans fluid/filter and you should be ok. Some GM trans last 4 or 500,000 miles. If there are no signs of trouble why worry?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #18
afstud

My Ride: 02 & 04 325xi sports
lucky betch... ha

02' 325i sport/premium pkgs zhp wheels & shift knob, euro clears, painted lip, Eonon Nav unit.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiEtr View Post
Nice thread jack. OP, you should keep your car. Fix all that minor stuff and drive like a normal person. Swap trans fluid/filter and you should be ok. Some GM trans last 4 or 500,000 miles. If there are no signs of trouble why worry?
He is the OP. I guess he gets to have his cake and eat it, too.

Good job OP. Awesome Christmas and have fun.

Personally, I would keep the E46 and return it to like-new condition as time and funding permits. But that's me.

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiEtr View Post
I completely agree. The car has a little over a 100k on it. It's practically a virgin!

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."

Last edited by DavidDee; 12-25-2012 at 11:27 AM.
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote