E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
GhostFlame

My Ride: LSB/HPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
Never met anyone with a used/older Audi that did not have a complaint.
I get it that cars are not perfect, but Audi being a premium brand some these issue should not come up.
BMW also gets it that it's a good idea to build cars that are (relatively) easy to maintain because the car will hold value better.
I would love to get an RS4, incredible car, but the maintenance on that thing will make you sell a liver.
Or even the relatively pedestrian a4 v6. Look at the link below for how to replace timing belt and water pump
http://ramspeedautomotive.com.au/blo...tag/water-pump
Exactly, and its not just about the maintenance cost. Doing your own work on these cars is a headache - very unfriendly to DIYers.

YMMV based on model and job, but overall I would not own one again unless its warrantied. Like percisionx said, this won't happen for me as im the type of person who needs to be able to do my own work.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
Exactly, and its not just about the maintenance cost. Doing your own work on these cars is a headache - very unfriendly to DIYers.

YMMV based on model and job, but overall I would not own one again unless its warrantied. Like percisionx said, this won't happen for me as im the type of person who needs to be able to do my own work.
Having to take the front of the car off for a timing belt would frustrate me to no end. I can't believe manufacturers still use timing belts these days. A chain is vastly superior.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #23
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
NO! I actually also have a 2003 New Beetle Convertible in the family that was purchased new. The VW makes the BMW look as reliable as a bicycle!!

Luckily the VW has cheap parts and is not bad for a DIY mobile.

An Audi, I hear you should watch out.

If you want an Audi, LEASE IT!!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
rhombus

My Ride: 330i
My buddy had a built B5 S4 with Tial turbos and the whole bit, made 470awhp. He was always fixing something on that thing though, the best part is that every single job on the car starts with remove front bumper, drain radiator LOL
rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #25
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
When I was looking to buy my current car, I was considering an Audi S4 also. In the end I went with BMW largely because of exterior styling and overall driving experience. The interior of the Audi was a bit more attractive than the BMW but it wasn't enough to sway my purchase.

Later, my gf (who is now my wife), had an Audi TT. Absolutely LOVED driving that car but would never buy it. Great feel and handled superbly but it is just too small for a DD.

I'd consider an Audi... Hell, I'd give any car a fair shot... But they've all got big shoes to fill compared to my e46 - 10+ years and I *STILL* love driving my car - every time!
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #26
Driver08

My Ride: '88 325is, '04 ZHP
Audi

I have a bit of a love-hate with Audis. Pretty compelling cars and I considered an A4 Quattro before buying my latest BMW (E46) but I would always be worried about maintenance. My most recent Audi was my wife's Allroad (now an MDX). It was a pretty great all rounder of a car but it was in the shop quite a bit and if it weren't for the warranty the costs would have been frightening. We liked it enough to pay to extend the factory warranty at 50K but I was sure to sell it before the warranty expired. Granted, the allroad can be a bit more problematic than other Audi models. I had several Audi loaners while the Allroad was in the shop and liked them all but like the Allroad, none of them are nearly stong in terms of feedback or driving dyanamics compared to their BMW couterparts. I have not driven every model of either brand but enough of each to say that this is generally the case. Also, unless you are in an S or RS model there is no exhaust note to speak of. I'd consider an Audi again but I wouldn't own one out of warranty untill it earned some confidence back in that regard.
Driver08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #27
jfoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver08 View Post
I'd consider an Audi again but I wouldn't own one out of warranty until it earned some confidence back in that regard.
That's why you lease one!!

No need for extended warranty, everything covered hopefully by the bumper to bumper coverage. But what you really want is not to have to take anything to the dealer for repair while under warranty as it is a PITA.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
raymoon

My Ride: Alpinweiß III
I almost pulled the trigger on two Audi A4 1.8T's (B6) with 90-100k miles. So glad I decided to get the bimmer instead.....steering is definitely much better in the bimmer. Also, timing chains FTW!!!

Last edited by raymoon; 11-30-2012 at 03:24 PM.
raymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #29
Martin 03 325i

My Ride: 03 325I
I had a VW before my BMW so I totally skipped the Audi step..to be me an Audi would be a step back..If anything I would be getting a Benz next..is only up from now
Old 11-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #30
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin 03 325i View Post
I had a VW before my BMW so I totally skipped the Audi step..to be me an Audi would be a step back..If anything I would be getting a Benz next..is only up from now
I really like Benz styling on the C class. I have heard that their parts cost is ridiculous. I have no idea how they are to work on.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #31
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Spent 6-7 hours doing the VCGs on a 2.8L Audi motor last weekend.

Audi just keeps bolting parts together, with no thought of how they will ever be removed, until there's a driveable pile of parts. It's pathetic. There is almost zero forethought to their engineering.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #32
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
My opinion:

Pros of owning an Audi:
The new Audi line up is absolutely gorgeous. Every car is stunningly beautiful. However, they all look the f-ing same. (BMW seems to be doing the same thing).
It's a German car. So everyone assumes you make a large sum of money.
The turbo Audis have a lot of hidden potential. Put a chip and intake into the B5 S4 and you have a really fun AWD DD.

Cons:
The interior. I get into my cousins 2.7t and I'm extremely confused. There are literally upwards of 20-30 buttons.
Extremely unreliable. 2 friends have a 2.7t, one had a B5 S4. Although they're quick, they're replacing parts all the time.
Older Audis are ugly as hell for the most part. I dislike the extreme roundedness.
I can't tell an A4 from an S4. The older generations anyway. The only distinct difference is the wheels...and they're like $200..

Everyone I know that has upgraded to a different car from an Audi, has enjoyed it. My friend that upgraded from the S4 to a new GTI seems to love the GTI a lot. They're nice cars, but overpriced anyway imo.

If I were to upgrade from a BMW, the only reasonable brands that come to mind are Porsche and Mercedes Benz. It's too tough to compete with this brand.

Last edited by PH03NIX46; 11-30-2012 at 03:48 PM.
PH03NIX46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #33
afstud

My Ride: 02 & 04 325xi sports
Ive had 4 a4's 3 1.8T and one was a 3.0. there all a pain, harder to work on, parts are more expensive than bmw, even for OEM stuff, the 1.8t are really slow at first too however i like the audi because there solid cars...but i also hate them because of there stupid rubberized plastic buttons, they always wore off and looked cheap.

02' 325i sport/premium pkgs zhp wheels & shift knob, euro clears, painted lip, Eonon Nav unit.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #34
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
I think if you're not daily driving then you can get an Audi...I know I will be looking to get myself an RS4 someday...just because I like the difference but won't be driving it on a daily basis since I have my ///M3 and ZHP...
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 11-30-2012 at 04:46 PM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #35
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I'd buy an Audi 90 CS Quattro if I could find one... almost bought one a few years back. I would never buy one to DD though, I have some friends with Audi's and just like everyone else said, nothing but problems.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #36
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Spent 6-7 hours doing the VCGs on a 2.8L Audi motor last weekend.

Audi just keeps bolting parts together, with no thought of how they will ever be removed, until there's a driveable pile of parts. It's pathetic. There is almost zero forethought to their engineering.
This is really funny. I wonder what a salesman at a dealer would say if you said these exact words to him while browsing cars.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #37
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
f no

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #38
jfoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin 03 325i View Post
+1 on the VW being better than the Audi. The Audi is an overly complex VW that is far harder to work on. I agree that the BMW is probably a step up as compared to the Audi.

At least the VW parts are fairly cheap and readily available. I just replaced the timing belt & some other things @ 75k just to cover the bases (yea, yea, yea, but 20 valves in a 4 cylinder interference motor I want to be proactive!) on my 1.8t VW Beetle Vert. For $280 I got timing belt, hydraulic timing belt tensioner, timing belt idler pulley, water pump with metal impeller (yes OEM is plastic like BMW), thermostat & gasket, OE Antifreeze, cam & crank seals, stretch motor mount bolts, serpentine belt & serpentine belt tensioner. So not too bad parts pricing.

I did not need to take the front of of the car apart on this to replace the timing belt, it was a bit tricky, but not bad.

Audi and some other VW's you pull the front bumper, radiator and a bunch stuff to do the job, makes it much more of a PITA.

Overall the 1.8t has not been a bad engine except for the oil pick up being clogged up with carbonized oil from the turbo. Too bad Mobil One changed every 5k or less this still happened. But at least that was only a $30 parts job and about 2 hours to pull the oil pan, replace the 2" oil pickup and clean everything up and put it back together. VW bought a lot of motors due to this, BUT you had to have IMPECCABLE service records for oil changes. If you did not get all your oil changes at the dealer, VW likely was not going to buy your motor!

The VW is giving me a new outlook to the BMW's of the same era!!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #39
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
I came this close to getting an s4 in nogaro blue..so glad I got an LSB m instead.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #40
tystager93

My Ride: 2003 325XI
I have owned 3 audis, a 1993 URS4 and 2 b5 a4s. My first b5 had a bad tranny but apart from that never had any problems with any of them. I would buy an S4 again espicially anuother 2.2t or one of the new TT RS .

I have also had 2 e36 M3s a e36 328is and I am now driving a 2003 325xi.

The trick for audis is buy from a forum, from a guy who knows more then that craigslist guy.

Sent from my DROID4 using Bimmer App
tystager93 is offline   Reply With Quote