E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
mhagley323

My Ride: 330i
torque converter.

I got a code p0741 saying that i had some issues with the torque converter. Took the car to local dealer and as always they recommended replacing the whole thing with a brand new converter for a whopping $3500K.

There is no difference in the way it drives as well as shifting smooth through every gear. No slipping through shifts either.

Does anyone have any recommendations or reputable sites on where i can buy an OEM torque converter for an automatic 03 330i. Any other help as far as diagnosis would be great. Car has about 80K on the dash

03' 330i
Mods
|M Tech II|P46| Orion V2|Painted Rear Diffuser and Moldings|Clears|Painted Grills|Koni FSD|Eibach|M6|WeissLicht LED|

09' ///M5
Mods
|BMW Performance Gloss Grills, Gills and Reflectors|SuperSprint|RPI|WeissLicht LED|

Last edited by mhagley323; 09-02-2009 at 05:23 PM.
mhagley323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
mhagley323

searched and can't find much on even purchasing an OEM torque converter

03' 330i
Mods
|M Tech II|P46| Orion V2|Painted Rear Diffuser and Moldings|Clears|Painted Grills|Koni FSD|Eibach|M6|WeissLicht LED|

09' ///M5
Mods
|BMW Performance Gloss Grills, Gills and Reflectors|SuperSprint|RPI|WeissLicht LED|
Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
If theres no problem apart from some codes, whats the problem?
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
mhagley323

i dont want it to result in further problems. if it ended up damaging the transmission as a whole id be out 5000K

03' 330i
Mods

09' ///M5
Mods
Old 09-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Try IPT. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Acarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagley323 View Post
i dont want it to result in further problems. if it ended up damaging the transmission as a whole id be out 5000K
Well tbh even if your torque converter did go out you wouldn't damage the transmission at all, have you considered the problem could be electrical though? It just seems well over the top to replace the entire torque converter while the car is running as normal.

And I have a few points to add,

Don't go to the dealer. An entire transmission replacement shouldn't cost more than 2,000 dollars. Hell, you could even do a manual swap if you had a shop that was half experienced.

3500K = 3,500,000 dollars. 5000K = 5,000,000 dollars.

As i'm sure you're aware, P0741 means that the torque converter clutch is reported to be stuck off. If the car is driving normally, then your torque converter clutch is working normally and a sensor is relaying bad information or the solenoid in the transmission that controls the torque converter clutch is starting to fail. If it's not driving normally, your first course of action would to be replace the torque converter clutch solenoid which is very cheap compared to the cost of a new torque converter. I'd be very surprised if this didn't fix your problem.

If you're determined to change your torque converter, know this most likely will not fix your problem. I'm sure the dealer knows this.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Rollo`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
Well tbh even if your torque converter did go out you wouldn't damage the transmission at all, have you considered the problem could be electrical though? It just seems well over the top to replace the entire torque converter while the car is running as normal.

Don't go to the dealer. An entire transmission replacement shouldn't cost more than 2,000 dollars. Hell, you could even do a manual swap if you had a shop that was half experienced.

As i'm sure you're aware, P0741 means that the torque converter clutch is reported to be stuck off. If the car is driving normally, then your torque converter clutch is working normally and a sensor is relaying bad information or the solenoid in the transmission that controls the torque converter clutch is starting to fail. If it's not driving normally, your first course of action would to be replace the torque converter clutch solenoid which is very cheap compared to the cost of a new torque converter. I'd be very surprised if this didn't fix your problem.

If you're determined to change your torque converter, know this most likely will not fix your problem. I'm sure the dealer knows this.
Amen brother, quoted because that whole post was damn well said.
Rollo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
mhagley323

Quote:

I am open to ideas and would love to not have to replace the whole thing. I just had a bad experience with my usual indy shop so i've been relying on the dealer. I was trying to explain to them that mabey it was electrical.

And your right the code reads:
Probable Cause
-TCC stuck off
-Poor electrical condition
-Low Trans Fluid
-Failed TCC solenoid.

So you suggest the solenoid? What about any sensors?

03' 330i
Mods

09' ///M5
Mods
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
I had my torque converter replaced under warranty at 20k miles in my auto. Then at 75k, the rest of the tranny went and I got a new tranny with a new torque converter.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #10
jakajuka

My Ride: E46 330iA M Tech II
Quote:

Nice post. Good to know that for P0741 it could be also a problematic solenoid for TCC. I have some question in regard. How could I replace a failed solenoid? Could it be done from the bottom part of tranny? Is it necessary to remove the whole valve body? Which is the P/N for the solenoid which engage TCC?
Thanks.

jakajuka
jakajuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #11
Acarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakajuka View Post
Nice post. Good to know that for P0741 it could be also a problematic solenoid for TCC. I have some question in regard. How could I replace a failed solenoid? Could it be done from the bottom part of tranny? Is it necessary to remove the whole valve body? Which is the P/N for the solenoid which engage TCC?
Thanks.

jakajuka
This is where things get a little more difficult.. i'm not 100% sure how the E46's GM transmissions are assembled but i'm going to make a possibly incorrect statement and say that you are able to replace it without removing the valve body, and that you can access it by just dropping the pan. I can't speak at all for the ZF transmission however but it shouldn't be that different, just no promises it is as easy as dropping the pan and locating the solenoid pack.

I'll have a look for the PN, but I think BMW just sells the whole thing remanufactured.

Edit: I'm a little lost, but heres the realOEM page - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...41&hg=24&fg=15.

If I were you though i'd just take it to a shop.. this will be a walk in the park for them

Great page here, whole thing broken down into pieces. Looks like you can just drop the pan to replace it

http://www.automaticchoice.com/Catalogue/5l40e.pdf

Last edited by Acarder; 09-07-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
David F

My Ride: 323i, 740iL, 633CSi
The TC pressure regulator (aka solenoid) is accessible after dropping the pan on the GM tranny. I would get someone with INPA (diagnostic software) to see what is going on in real time with the regulator/solenoid before moving forward.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
jakajuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
The TC pressure regulator (aka solenoid) is accessible after dropping the pan on the GM tranny. I would get someone with INPA (diagnostic software) to see what is going on in real time with the regulator/solenoid before moving forward.
I got an Inpa/Ediabas software for diagnosis. Could You tell me where to look at to realize if the regulator/solenoid is working well? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
jakajuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
I have a screen capture from INPA. Please look at them and told me if I have the right option to realize that solenoid for TCC is OK.

Thanks
Bye
Old 09-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #15
mhagley323

jacked

03' 330i
Mods

09' ///M5
Mods
Old 09-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
You need a convertere there are TSB's from BMW about this and the lip seal rolling. SEARCH I POSTED THIS MANY TIMES!!!!!!!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #17
jakajuka

Hi,

replaced a TC last week after find out an error "slippery TC clutch".
I put in a rebuild one and solved the problem. Now the tranny is more efficient (1.5 litre less petrol consumption on 100km) and the car run smoother!!!

If You have the same problem do not hesitate and change the TC.

Bye.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:10 AM   #18
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
Torque converter is basically a hydraulic clutch. Symptoms are same as a bad clutch - excessive RPM increase in relation to actual vehicle speed (RPMs climb faster than you actually go). Do you notice that? Also it can tend to make a pretty loud noise it badly worn enough...
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:54 AM   #19
Acarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakajuka View Post
Hi,

replaced a TC last week after find out an error "slippery TC clutch".
I put in a rebuild one and solved the problem. Now the tranny is more efficient (1.5 litre less petrol consumption on 100km) and the car run smoother!!!

If You have the same problem do not hesitate and change the TC.

Bye.
I would hesitate, it's not exactly a 5 dollar fix
Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #20
jakajuka

Quote:
I would hesitate, it's not exactly a 5 dollar fix
I agree with You.

But I made a calculation that only calculating the consumption reduce the payment will return in 2 years!!!

On other side I want that my car is mechanical on top.

bye