E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Breakingdolphins

My Ride: 318i E46
Love my new E46 but it's suddenly unreliable

First off I stumbled upon this awesome forum with a lot of E46's guys so maybe you guys can help me out!

So about 6 months ago I swapped my E36 318IS for an E46 touring 318i. (2002 (or 2001) facelift model) I love the car and extra space it has. I mainly want three things from a car, it needs a lot of space, has to be fast and reliability

The last thing has become an issue. About 2 months ago the first thing happened: I start my car engine goes into EML mode. I start it again and EML goes off. Just a faulty sensor? until this month.

On a hot summer day I was sitting in traffic and I press down on the clutch and the engine suddenly drops to 0 RMP and shuts off. I try to start it... nothing try for 3 more times and randomly it starts again. I drive it for a bit and BAM the same thing happens. I get my car towed get some Mc-Donalds and try to start her again (why not) and the car runs again! Fill her up with gas (tank was almost empty though that might be the issue) and everything is fine again. (Just shook it off as it might be the almost empty gas tank though the car still said I could drive for 70KM)

So yesterday morning: normal temperature car fully filled I sit at a traffic light and decide to give a little bit of gas for no reason but no throttle response. I bump the throttle a few nothing happens RMP drops to 0 and the engine dies. Start her up again and everything is fine!(?)

The car has been to a local dealer twice but they couldn't find anything I also used the device-thingy to read error's but there were 0 error's.

Does anyone have any clue why this could happen? I really like this car and don't want to sell it again (only had it for 5 months) because the engine randomly stops working every now and than.

Help!
Breakingdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Sounds to me like a vacuum leak. Have you had it smoked tested?

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,H&R Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Time to get a code reader beyond the device-thingy and read up on JFOJ

Last edited by Archbid; 09-21-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
gusthehater

Fuel pump?
gusthehater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Quote:
(Just shook it off as it might be the almost empty gas tank though the car still said I could drive for 70KM)
This sounds like possible fuel pump/filter issue. I had my car die with 50 miles left in the tank - add in a gallon and it was fine till I got it filled it up. Worth checking out at least...
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
It is not suddenly unreliable. E46 have always been unreliable. You just have be pro-active and replace a FEW key parts ahead of the failures.

Fuel pump might be one to start with.

Get PA Scanner vet 1.4.x to read BMW Specific codes.

Over 2 Billion Served !

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 09-21-2016 at 04:33 PM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
gusthehater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
It is not suddenly unreliable. E46 have always been unreliable. You just have be pro-active and replace a FEW key parts ahead of the failures.

....only as unreliable as the owner.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #8
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusthehater View Post
....only as unreliable as the owner.
wtf!
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
gusthehater

Quote:
wtf!

I meant that when people don't take care of their ****, then it becomes a problem.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #10
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Quote:
I meant that when people don't take care of their ****, then it becomes a problem.
The car is unreliable. Seriously. This used to be an interesting debate, but at this point the cars are rotting.

Yes, if you replace everything, they are modestly reliable. But that is not a definition of reliable in any reasonable mind.

A car that needs to be rebuilt to not break down, overheat, throw codes, go into limp mode (should I go on?) is not a reliable car. Fun car, sure.

My trooper, which was annihilated by an idiot driver at 230k miles, was reliable. It didn't have a limp mode. When the radiator got a hole from a tree - a tree, seriously, 3" hole - it still drove! I was too far to get towed so I had to put snow in the engine compartment - and it didn't blow up when I drive another 40 miles.

Suffice to say - the Trooper doesn't even have a term "limp mode"

That is a reliable car, as in "I can rely on it". The E46 is only reliable in the sense that "It will reliably require something to be replaced or cryptically diagnosed every 6 months"

You people have to stop. By your definition the space shuttle is reliable. Just rebuild most of it every flight and it mostly won't blow up.

Last edited by Archbid; 09-22-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:53 AM   #11
Breakingdolphins

My Ride: 318i E46
The car did some weird stuff again this morning, engine goes into EML mode I restart it a few times.. nothing lock the car unlock it restart it and it's fine again. My hands are starting to itch to maybe replace it for a Volvo V70 from 99/98 or a V70r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonRed View Post
This sounds like possible fuel pump/filter issue. I had my car die with 50 miles left in the tank - add in a gallon and it was fine till I got it filled it up. Worth checking out at least...
Quote:

Quote:
Fuel pump?
Quote:
I check my fluids every 2 months and oil / quick engine check every week the car also goes to the garage every 25.000km.

I'm going to have the car fully checked next week (mainly the fuel area) ill update to what happened.
Breakingdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #12
zheka130

My Ride: 2004 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
The car is unreliable. Seriously. This used to be an interesting debate, but at this point the cars are rotting.

Yes, if you replace everything, they are modestly reliable. But that is not a definition of reliable in any reasonable mind.

Seriously, a car that needs to be rebuilt to not break down, overheat, throw codes, go into limp mode (should I go on?) is not a reliable car. Fun car, sure.

My trooper, which was annihilated by an idiot driver at 230k miles, was reliable. It didn't have a limp mode. When the radiator got a hole from a tree - a tree, seriously, 3" hole - it still drove! I was too far to get towed so I had to put snow in the engine compartment - and it didn't blow up when I drive another 40 miles.

Suffice to say - the Trooper doesn't even have a term "limp mode"

That is a reliable car, as in "I can rely on it". The E46 is only reliable in the sense that "It will reliably require something to be replaced or cryptically diagnosed every 6 months"

You people have to stop. By your definition the space shuttle is reliable. Just rebuild most of it every flight and it mostly won't blow up.
Funny, but mostly true.

Although my experience has been better, I've had 0 problems in 3 years of ownership, albeit with occasional PM done in a few areas. Hope the trend continues.
zheka130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #13
elbert

My Ride: Chevy Beretta GTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post

Exactly. People need to take their blinders off.

edit: I'm looking at fuel pumps myself right now

Last edited by elbert; 09-22-2016 at 07:33 AM.
elbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #14
tcphoto

My Ride: '09 335 MT Coupe
The codes will give you a good indication of the problem, likely lean codes P0701 and P0174. The likely fix is the fuel pump, filter and check the intake boots and vacuum hoses. The pump is cooled by the gas in the tank, consistently run low on fuel and the pump fails.