E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
bimmer320

My Ride: 320i
Steering Rack replacement.

Hi guys

i have a 2005 320i that started leaking transmission fluid all of a sudden few days ago.

the whole power steering was gone and it was leaking crazy. It was very strange as i drove it no problem, car didn't make any noise, no lights had come on.

All of a sudden, i move out of my garage and i hear a loud grinding noise. At this point i realized the steering wheel all stiff. I check the fluid and it's empty. I drive the car back to the garage and refill the fluid. No help..i drive it thinking the fluid has to circulate. It just made it worse. All of a sudden, the fluid leaks out like crazy.

I got it towed to a shop and they told me the steering rack needs to be replacement. The cost of the damage $1700.. ... is this right?

The shop said that the rack on the passenger side has a leak and only option is to replace it. I gave him the go ahead but I'm thinking i overpaid.

He said the car also needs alignment.

The car is at 132000 km.
bimmer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
djdonis

My Ride: 330i 6sp, 325xi AT
Yep.
Rebuilt steering rack $260 + labor = ?
Unless you are getting "genuine BMW" part.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #3
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Way over charged! The steering rack is so easy to replace. 2 bolts, 1 steering guibo, 2 pressure hoses and 2 tierod ends.

Are they charging you actual time for labor or book where they charge you 8 hours at 1xx per hour and do the whole job in 2 to 3 hours.

This is why i am a fan of DIY!

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Sir Knight BMWCaptain
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Way over charged! The steering rack is so easy to replace. 2 bolts, 1 steering guibo, 2 pressure hoses and 2 tierod ends.

Are they charging you actual time for labor or book where they charge you 8 hours at 1xx per hour and do the whole job in 2 to 3 hours.

This is why i am a fan of DIY!

A little more complicated than that. Here's a thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...945&highlight=

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
A little more complicated than that. Here's a thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...945&highlight=

NO not complicated at all. He is showing you the exact same things i showed you. He actually replaced his tierod ends instead of just undoing a large nut.

Very simple and does not take too long.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Sir Knight BMWCaptain
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:50 AM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
as posted above, that's Way overpriced unless they're quoting you a steering rack from the BMW dealership. and even then it's still kinda high.

all you need is a rebuilt rack + labor and an alignment after.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
bimmer320

My Ride: 320i
Update. The shop called and said the steering pump needs to be replaced. Which is gonna cost another $450.

Should I go somewhere else
bimmer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #8
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
It seems unlikely that you need a rack and a pump all at once. Your symptoms sound like the PS pump shaft broke which is pretty common. I found a new Luk LF30 pump on Amazon for under $300, and then sourced the hoses, reservoir, and seals/washers from a few different places and I think I was still under $450. The labor for that is pretty easy if you can DIY.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
Mango

My Ride: M54B30
Unless you went to a destruction derby and took first (or second) place with no power steering fluid, don't seehow you'd need a new rack.

your mechanic is a business man. so naturally he is going to charge you a lot for things you can do yourself. you can repair your car for about 15 subway sandwiches if you DIY. look for a used pump. if you buy a reman pump from your local auto parts store, double your sandwiches. still cheaper than 200 sandwiches+