E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, Quattros, Miata
DIY ABS Disengagement Switch

One of my Audi's has a fantastically helpful switch on the dash that disengages the anti-lock brakes. I would like to add this feature to my E46 and my other Audi. On the Audi, I don't need ABS so I can just unplug the wheel speed sensors. (The fuse cannot be pulled as I would lose my differential lock along with the ABS since they are controlled by the same fuse.) On the E46, I would like to have the option of disengaging ABS at the flick of a switch. However, the ABS in my car leaches into 4 or 5 fuses. Clearly, I cannot simply wire a switch into the fuse. What are my options for this? I have yet to find an answer for this and apparently no one really cares to do this. So this is a bit of a shot in the dark but hopefully someone here has done something with this.

I recently purchased enough buttons to fill up my DSC button row and I have two that are currently unused. If I can find a way to disable ABS, I am going to try to wire it into one of the unused buttons for an OEM look!

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"
1993 Audi 90 Quattro V6 "Lydia II"
1994 Mazda Miata R-Spec Race Prep "Natasha"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
AndreBXP

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Whats the purpose of disabling ABS? I can understand traction control to get the rear-end out, but ABS is pretty much out of the way until you really need it.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreBXP View Post
Whats the purpose of disabling ABS? I can understand traction control to get the rear-end out, but ABS is pretty much out of the way until you really need it.
Disabling ABS makes the car safer if you know how to drive without it and especially if conditions call for it. Braking on snow, dirt, or any loose surface is difficult with ABS engaged. It can also be good for track usage.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"

Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Disabling ABS makes the car safer if you know how to drive without it and especially if conditions call for it. Braking on snow, dirt, or any loose surface is difficult with ABS engaged. It can also be good for track usage.

It's only good to disable it for track cars when you've modified the capabilities of the car outside the envelope it's able to correct for, i.e. much stickier tires that need a healthier slip angle to develop grip. Even then, Bosch makes a motorsport ABS that's much faster than non-ABS. It's just retarded expensive, and not allowed in most race series because it's unfair.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post

It's only good to disable it for track cars when you've modified the capabilities of the car outside the envelope it's able to correct for, i.e. much stickier tires that need a healthier slip angle to develop grip. Even then, Bosch makes a motorsport ABS that's much faster than non-ABS. It's just retarded expensive, and not allowed in most race series because it's unfair.
I know this. My Miata has no ABS. But anyway the reason for wanting a switch is not for the track, I was just pointing it out. I want it for driving on snow and dirt.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"

Old 12-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
AndreBXP

I'm pretty sure that ABS will make you stop faster on snow and dirt 9.9/10. Test your stopping distance with and without it. Also remember that if you have to turn, and your wheels are locked up, you ain't turning. Not trying to start an argument, but I'd love to see the numbers.

Last edited by AndreBXP; 12-02-2014 at 10:46 PM.
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
unevolved

Quote:
Also remember that if you have to turn, and your wheels are locked up, you ain't turning.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that ABS will make you stop faster on snow and dirt 9.9/10. Test your stopping distance with and without it. Also remember that if you have to turn, and your wheels are locked up, you ain't turning. Not trying to start an argument, but I'd love to see the numbers.

Several close calls with trees while off-road with ABS on tell me it doesn't help and in fact hurts. I can stop far shorter with ABS off. I can test this with the same subject by using my Audi in which you can disable the ABS. I am actually curious as to how much it helps now. When I get a chance I will measure the stopping distance. On loose surfaces, ABS gets confused and constantly kicks in. Without it, you can build up snow or dirt in front of the wheels to help you stop quicker.

I'd love to hear your rebuttal on this one unevolved.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"

Last edited by Marshmallow; 12-02-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
AndreBXP

Well the Audi ABS system is as old as the e30. The new systems are much faster, and much improved, due to leaps in processor technology. I'm curious as to how much better it will work for you.

Quote:
Several close calls with trees while off-road with ABS on tell me it doesn't help and in fact hurts. I can stop far shorter with ABS off. I can test this with the same subject by using my Audi in which you can disable the ABS. I am actually curious as to how much it helps now. When I get a chance I will measure the stopping distance. On loose surfaces, ABS gets confused and constantly kicks in. Without it, you can build up snow or dirt in front of the wheels to help you stop quicker.

Last edited by AndreBXP; 12-02-2014 at 10:57 PM.
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Well the Audi ABS system is as old as the e30. The new systems are much faster, and much improved, due to leaps in processor technology.
I know this but the same basic concept is still there, and my E46 would be miles better in the snow without it. If I can find a way to reliably switch it on and off I will report back with data to support this.

And I will do a test with the Audi as soon as I can.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"

Last edited by Marshmallow; 12-02-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
On loose surfaces, ABS gets confused and constantly kicks in. Without it, you can build up snow or dirt in front of the wheels to help you stop quicker.
No sure I am buying into all of this.

Building up snow and dirt in front of the wheels to stop quicker, this is not repeatable or controllable.

ABS gets confused and constantly kicks in? The ABS is not getting confused unless there is a problem with wheel sensors or the controller.

Are you confusing ABS with DSC?

But have fun with your experiment.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
unevolved

Look up sliding vs. static friction.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #13
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
No sure I am buying into all of this.

Building up snow and dirt in front of the wheels to stop quicker, this is not repeatable or controllable.

ABS gets confused and constantly kicks in? The ABS is not getting confused unless there is a problem with wheel sensors or the controller.

Are you confusing ABS with DSC?

But have fun with your experiment.
The ABS thinks that the car is sliding on pavement when it is on loose surfaces and thus gets "confused" per say.

ABS is good for tarmac and sheet ice, light snow.

ABS off is good for dirt and heavy snow.

From NHTSA: "On very soft surfaces, such as gravel or unpacked snow, ABS may actually lengthen stopping distances. "

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/e...4-26-2013.html

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"

Old 12-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #14
unevolved

Quote:
From NHTSA: "On very soft surfaces, such as gravel or unpacked snow, ABS may actually lengthen stopping distances. "

From that same article,

" Do cars with ABS stop more quickly than cars without?
Perhaps, but that's not the main purpose of ABS. It is a system designed to help you maintain control of the vehicle during emergency braking situations, not necessarily make the car stop more quickly."

All of this bickering, but the point is you can't disable ABS on these cars without a serious background in programming.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
From that same article,

" Do cars with ABS stop more quickly than cars without?
Perhaps, but that's not the main purpose of ABS. It is a system designed to help you maintain control of the vehicle during emergency braking situations, not necessarily make the car stop more quickly."

All of this bickering, but the point is you can't disable ABS on these cars without a serious background in programming.
You're really not listening to me at all. I understand the point of ABS and I know what it does. When in a low traction environment, ABS is a hindrance. There is a reason my Audi with a locking differential has a ABS kill switch. It's because the car was designed to be used off-road and in snow. The engineers knew of the shortfalls of ABS and I can tell you that having the kill switch option is extremely helpful.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"

Old 12-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #16
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
The ABS thinks that the car is sliding on pavement when it is on loose surfaces and thus gets "confused" per say.

ABS is good for tarmac and sheet ice, light snow.

ABS off is good for dirt and heavy snow.

Perhaps, but it is always the responsibility of the driver to adjust their speed and driving to the present road/driving conditions.

I would think that it you really found a need to not have ABS active you should slow down, adjust your distance and modify your braking behavior.

The goal of ABS is to not have to actually use it.

One of the first things I always do when snow or ice is on the ground as I start out to drive is to actually stab the brakes to activate the ABS so I can determine exactly how slippery the road conditions are at the time.

Then I modify my distance, steering and braking to adjust to the current road/driving conditions.

Wouldn't you think that if the ABS was such a problem, the manufacturers would include a switch for the driver to disable this similar to traction control?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Perhaps, but it is always the responsibility of the driver to adjust their speed and driving to the present road/driving conditions.

I would think that it you really found a need to not have ABS active you should slow down, adjust your distance and modify your braking behavior.

The goal of ABS is to not have to actually use it.

One of the first things I always do when snow or ice is on the ground as I start out to drive is to actually stab the brakes to activate the ABS so I can determine exactly how slippery the road conditions are at the time.

Then I modify my distance, steering and braking to adjust to the current road/driving conditions.

Wouldn't you think that if the ABS was such a problem, the manufacturers would include a switch for the driver to disable this similar to traction control?
I should add that when I need ABS off, I am in a situation where there are no other vehicles around. The E46 is a street vehicle but the Audis are not. And they did have switches in some cars years ago. I guess it just didn't catch on. But then there are lots of useful features that are no longer put in cars.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"

Old 12-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #18
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Sand and gravel under the tires act like tiny ball bearings when you step on the brakes. As a result there will be very little friction/traction between tires and ground. Therefore all four wheels want to lock up immediately. ABS would keep them from doing so. When you hit the brakes without ABS, the tires will immediately begin to dig in pushing against sand and gravel; this builds little berms in front of each tire. To deal with the negative effects of ABS on dirt, some manufacturers had installed a kill switch for ABS in their full time four wheel drive vehicles (for example early 90's Mercedes-Benz G-Class) but recent changes in the law prevents them from providing this option any longer. As of 2012, all vehicles sold in the US are required to have ABS.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"

Last edited by Marshmallow; 12-02-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #19
AndreBXP

You also can't steer when this happens, and you might end up in a tree. Honestly if you just pull a fuse it should disable the system. Curious to see your findings.

Quote:
Sand and gravel under the tires act like tiny ball bearings when you step on the brakes. As a result there will be very little friction/traction between tires and ground. Therefore all four wheels want to lock up immediately. ABS would keep them from doing so. When you hit the brakes without ABS, the tires will immediately begin to dig in pushing against sand and gravel; this builds little berms in front of each tire. To deal with the negative effects of ABS on dirt, some manufacturers had installed a kill switch for ABS in their full time four wheel drive vehicles (for example early 90's Mercedes-Benz G-Class) but recent changes in the law prevents them from providing this option any longer.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #20
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
You also can't steer when this happens, and you might end up in a tree. Honestly if you just pull a fuse it should disable the system. Curious to see your findings.
I end up in a tree with the system on. (Ask me how I know.) I'm going to pull the speed sensors on the V6 Audi (the 20v has the kill switch) and possibly the E46 as well. Then I will do a test on dirt or snow and bring back the findings. There are turns I can take at certain speeds while on dirt and make it through fine without ABS but I can't make the turn with the system on. Keep in mind I am powering through the corners, not braking or coasting.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"