E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
330Spartans

My Ride: BMW 330ci M-Sport
Knocking sound

So on my 330ci I started hearing this knocking sound when ever I turn up to a driveway or sometimes when I just turn normaly but mostly when I go up to a driveway and the car leans to one side. So I took the car the my mechanic he said just need to lubricate like bushings and what ever.. It went away for like a month than it came back second time u went back they said we should change the bushings... So they did that... 2-3days latter noise is back.. So I went to a diffrent mechanic they look at the car lifted it looked under.. Said evrything is ok he doesn't see what it could be (at this point he didn't hear the noise yet) so he took it for a test drive and than he heard it too... He said he can't tell me for sure what it is so I would have to start my chances.. Start with h the cheaper things like swaybar etc etc and hopefully find what it is cuz he said it's an weird noise and he wouldnt be able to tell me exactly what it is.. Anyone can help? I'm so pissed I was thinking to make a video see if u guys can hear the noise and come up with some ideas.
330Spartans is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
330Spartans

Here is a video i made today. If you guys can please watch it and let me know what you guys think. Would be a huge help if i could figure out what it is , instead of just starting to replace unnecessary parts. Thankx
Old 04-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
330Spartans

Anyone?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
Evnmopwr

My Ride: 2002 E46 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Spartans View Post
Anyone?
hi... mine did the same... right side only ... first thawt it was worn shock absorber but Turned out to be a Worn out bush on control arm...
what mine did aswell, while driving and on a curved bend doing about 100km/h it will vibrate and shake like mad...

I jacked the car up.. hands at top and bottom of the wheel and moved it about.
Was clicking like mad.. Removed the Wheel and saw the play in the Bush

The Culprit

I replaced both control arms and ALL bushes on it ..

Last edited by Evnmopwr; 04-20-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Evnmopwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
330Spartans

But that's in the front isn't it? Mine is making the noise in the back.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
rsyed07

My Ride: 330i
Lot's of possibilities. You could have worn trailing arm bushing(s) causing slight shifts during turns or shift in direction, your rear diff bushings could be worn out, your rear shocks could be blown, a rear spring could be broken, and less likely but rear subframe could have a tear but that's more audible under load/acceleration. Need some background info to any suspension work done to the rear first.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
Evnmopwr

My Ride: 2002 E46 320i
Quote:
But that's in the front isn't it? Mine is making the noise in the back.
Yup thats in front... OOPSS>. sorry... Skim reading...

Some advice, Dont do as the mechanic says... throwing money at the problem wont fix it..
Get it in the air and have a look for yourself... I bet you will find it

Last edited by Evnmopwr; 04-20-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Evnmopwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
330Spartans

Subframe is good, they also changed the Swaybar bushings. When I go over bigger bumps I can't hear it it's only when thr car is turning specialy when it gets unbalanced. When I turn on a drive way and the front of the car raises as I turn right it makes the sound. Yeah I'll do that too lift it and try find myself
Old 04-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
jazzbass

My Ride: 99 328i; 06 330i
Does it happen when you're not turning? Is it speed dependent? Does it happen on braking or acceleration, of just turning?
1985 Porsche 911
jazzbass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
330Spartans

No it only happens when I'm turning. Very very rare to hear I when I'm going straight it has to be a realy uneven bumpy road for it to happen when I go straight and even then can bearly hear it. It has nothing to do with accelerating or braking. I only hear it as soon as the front right /left of my car raises when I turn up on the driveway.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #11
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Dude, you need to take it to someone who can diagnose it for you, or get under there and do it. Running around with cameras looking at the ground, and replacing random parts is going to drive you and your wallet crazy.

Use a pry bar, go to every joint, bushing, and moving part, and apply a little pressure to it. You can easily tell exactly what is broken, or moving out of place this way.

A lot of private alignment shops will do an alignment and check suspension at the same time for the same price. This giving you a list of everything wrong in the suspension, as they have to know whats broken to do an alignment. Ask, because this is what all of my friends shops do, and then will redo the alignment (sometimes for free). Giving you a chance to fix everything.
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #12
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR zhp coupe
OP, do you have poly rtabs? If so it might be they are too tight and rubbing without enough lube.

Another possibility is shocks or shock mounts. You can remove the sway bar and endlinks to eliminate that as a possibility.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #13
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: '03 325Ci + '05 ZHP
Check the rear upper shock mounts -- I bet one's starting to go (poly ones will run you about $120 to replace).
Old 04-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #14
330Spartans

For that I need to take out the carpet in the trunk right?
Old 04-20-2016, 10:43 PM   #15
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: '03 325Ci + '05 ZHP
Quote:
For that I need to take out the carpet in the trunk right?
No, you need to lift it a bit (if anything to get the wheel out of the way) and then look up to where the shock meets the body. By the time mine started clunking, almost the entire right side rubber was detached, although yours may not show as much damage.