E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #61
e4ortysix

My Ride: 03 325ci vert
the first 500 or so miles 2nd was a little more difacult to engage but now it is smooth in every gear. I just chulked it up to breaking it in. As far as preformance and faster reving it feels pretty close to the stock clutch.
e4ortysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #62
ZHPinthe103

My Ride: 325i Black on beige
Seems like just stick to OEM dual mass clutch
Old 12-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #63
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
You mean like this: http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...t_code/PBC.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxander.foster View Post
But if not I suppose we could machine an adapter for that bearing. I've already got an idea for a simple bolt-on adapter to accept the 6-speed pilot bearing.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #64
alexxander.foster

My Ride: 2000 323i
Haha, yep, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Awesome! And its super cheap too! Very impressive. There ya go 6-speed owners!

Good lookin' out TxZHP04. I might edit the original post and include that link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
alexxander.foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #65
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy_JZ View Post
Any noticeable performance increase? Quicker revving?
There shouldn't be. They're nearly the same weight.

Valeo: 23.6 lbs
OEM: 24.9 lbs

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #66
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Haha, yep, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Awesome! And its super cheap too! Very impressive. There ya go 6-speed owners!

Good lookin' out TxZHP04. I might edit the original post and include that link...
Except... They don't make it any more.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #67
alexxander.foster

Damn! That sucks. Well, at least we know it can be done and is a pretty straight forward part.

If somebody wants it bad enough and is willing to send me parts for measuring I'll draw up this adapter in AutoCAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
Except... They don't make it any more.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #68
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

I thought about this a little after I saw they discontinued it. I think the reason was, a) it wasn't marketed well enough to keep the demand up, and b) the pilot bearing carrier was probably pressed into the same place that the pilot bearing goes in the crankshaft. If that's the case (and it probably is) then you're limited by the number of flyhwheels that would have enough room to clear the outside diameter of the extended pilot bearing carrier and almost no one publishes that stuff.

/// MODS
Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #69
alexxander.foster

sounds reasonable

Quote:
I thought about this a little after I saw they discontinued it. I think the reason was, a) it wasn't marketed well enough to keep the demand up, and b) the pilot bearing carrier was probably pressed into the same place that the pilot bearing goes in the crankshaft. If that's the case (and it probably is) then you're limited by the number of flyhwheels that would have enough room to clear the outside diameter of the extended pilot bearing carrier and almost no one publishes that stuff.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #70
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
huh? We're talking about a torsion spring clutch here. It's not fixed, It's floating on the torsion springs just as the DMF is floating.

No...not at all. A self adjusting pressure plate maintains even clamping force over the life of the clutch, the torsion springs dampen torque. Two entirely unrelated functions.
I don't get it then, if there's no inherent advantage to a DMF, why is it that pretty much every car made in the last 20 years or so came equipped with a dual mass flywheel? And why would a sprung hub clutch + solid flywheel result in a less vague feel than the stock setup if the springs allow for a similar amount of "play" in both cases?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #71
alexxander.foster

Well, there *are* advantages to using a dual mass flywheel as compared to a single mass flywheel + sprung hub clutch. However, those reasons seem to be very subtle. I listed some examples in one of my replies to you. I'm pretty sure increased MPG is the primary motivating factor for using the DMF -even if the increase is tiny. Everybody in auto manufacturing is looking for ways to squeeze more MPG out of their cars and drivetrains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I don't get it then, if there's no inherent advantage to a DMF, why is it that pretty much every car made in the last 20 years or so came equipped with a dual mass flywheel? And why would a sprung hub clutch + solid flywheel result in a less vague feel than the stock setup if the springs allow for a similar amount of "play" in both cases?
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
Old 12-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #72
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Another motivating factor may be supply chain managment. When you wear a clutch and need to replace it, you're already in the job for at least the cost of the clutch. With a single mass flywheel you can turn in down and resurface it, providing it's within tolerance and most will take 1-2 resurfacings. No additional purchase necessary. A dual mass flywheel shouldn't be turned down because you can't hold the surface motionless during the process, besides the internals to the DMF have probably worn to the point of replacement by that time anyway. With a dual mass flywheel, you're in it for the clutch and the flywheel.

/// MODS
Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #73
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Well, there *are* advantages to using a dual mass flywheel as compared to a single mass flywheel + sprung hub clutch. However, those reasons seem to be very subtle. I listed some examples in one of my replies to you. I'm pretty sure increased MPG is the primary motivating factor for using the DMF -even if the increase is tiny. Everybody in auto manufacturing is looking for ways to squeeze more MPG out of their cars and drivetrains.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
Assuming equal weights, where would the mpg improvement come from? Damping can't be the reason either, since as you stated, the springs can be selected such that both perform similarly

Quote:
Another motivating factor may be supply chain managment. When you wear a clutch and need to replace it, you're already in the job for at least the cost of the clutch. With a single mass flywheel you can turn in down and resurface it, providing it's within tolerance and most will take 1-2 resurfacings. No additional purchase necessary. A dual mass flywheel shouldn't be turned down because you can't hold the surface motionless during the process, besides the internals to the DMF have probably worn to the point of replacement by that time anyway. With a dual mass flywheel, you're in it for the clutch and the flywheel.
That is a possibility, but I don't know... manufacturers generally prefer to advertise lower maintenance costs. I have a hard time believing that pretty much every manufacturer across the board would implement something that seemingly has no advantages and costs more. It's especially perplexing to me that they're used in all types of vehicles, from econoboxes to sports cars to luxury cars.

Any engineers here with thoughts on the matter?

Does a sprung-hub clutch interfere with the ability to use a self adjusting pressure plate per chance?

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-23-2012 at 12:46 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #74
Mesa3077Boogie

My Ride: 325i Sport Package 0
As far as I can see, there is no Valoe flywheel for my June 2003 (ET37) 325i. Whats the deal with that? Anyone know why they dont have this flywheel for my model?

"Brakes Stop The Wheels, Tires Stop The Car"
Mesa3077Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #75
e4ortysix

My Ride: 03 325ci vert
mine is an 03 325ci and I have this set up installed. Have you checked with Bravauto.
e4ortysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #76
Mesa3077Boogie

yes and apparently June 03" surpasses the models that valeo makes flywheels for. bogus!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Bimmer App

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #77
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
Most (if not all) of the lightweight flywheels offer replaceable surface inserts, however I'm not sure they really offer that much benefit. They aren't really user servicealbe because they should be rebalanced when replaced. This means you need to send the flywheel away if you're replacing the surface during a clutch replacement, when time may be your worst enemy.
Aluminum flywheels will typically come with replaceable inserts. Steel ones, from what I can tell, don't.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #78
alexxander.foster

What does realoem say about part numbers and such? Are the flywheels different? I took a quick look and I cant really see any difference in part numbers but clearly there must be a distinction.

Another way to see if this would work for your car would be to check if the aftermarket tuners like UUC have two different kits for the 325 or if they offer just one. One kit for all years of the 325 would be suggestive that the flywheel and/or clutch are interchangeable even though they're different part numbers... Just a thought. Though admittedly, Valeo would have probably already looked into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa3077Boogie View Post
yes and apparently June 03" surpasses the models that valeo makes flywheels for. bogus!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Bimmer App
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #79
alexxander.foster

PS, your car is gorgeous Mesa3077Boogie
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #80
Mesa3077Boogie

Quote:
What does realoem say about part numbers and such? Are the flywheels different? I took a quick look and I cant really see any difference in part numbers but clearly there must be a distinction.

Another way to see if this would work for your car would be to check if the aftermarket tuners like UUC have two different kits for the 325 or if they offer just one. One kit for all years of the 325 would be suggestive that the flywheel and/or clutch are interchangeable even though they're different part numbers... Just a thought. Though admittedly, Valeo would have probably already looked into this.
I have not checked the part numbers yet but thats a point I will do that!

And thanks, riding low like I do takes its toll, both on your body and your car..