E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
College alumni: do you donate back to your school?

Personally, I just don't really grasp the concept of donating money back to my undergrad or grad schools. I'm proud to have gone to those schools, I have good memories from the time I spent there, and I'm glad I went on to a good career, but that's exactly why I chose to pursue higher education and to pay handsomely for it. The way I see it, I paid for my education and I got exactly what I paid for.

My analogy is just about any other good or service that you would pay for. For example, I love my Macbook Air, and I'd be happy to help Apple out by telling people how much I love their product, but if Apple called me up during dinnertime to ask me to donate to Apple for the stellar build quality of their laptops, I'd tell them to fock off.

My friend says that, at least for my undergrad, I should be more inclined to donate because my school was a state school and is therefore a nonprofit institution and they need that money to educate future generations of Mike Larrys. Still, I feel that it doesn't fall on me or any alumnus in general to shoulder the burden of this financial ineptitude, whether it stems from the state, the college, or somewhere in between. I also paid full-price out-of-state tuition, and my school is known to be one of the more expensive public universities in the country, so that doesn't help.

I realize this makes me sound sorta cheap, but I'm actually a pretty generous and charitable guy in other aspects. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Last edited by Mike Larry; 10-07-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1381167076
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Lol, **** no. After working for the school, I know how financially irresponsible they are.

I paid my tuition, and that's all they're getting. I owe them nothing else. Their inability to handle money isn't my problem.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
ThaHooch

My Ride: e46
nope

** Political sig removed **
ThaHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I haven't yet but I've given them my time. Since graduating, I've gone back and spoke to the students several times about my profession. Giving them tips and whatnots for when they graduate. When I look back on my time in college, most of what I received came out of someone's pocket. Some of my professors fed me (for free) and helped me pay for stuff when I couldn't come up with the money. Yeah I had some cool professors. They also gave me the heads up on those a-hole professors I should avoid. I can go on and on about the advice and stuff I got from my University.

As far as paying, I think we should. State schools only get a portion of their funds from the government. The money that collect from alumni goes towards buildings, scholarships... I'm assuming it goes to the alumni too. idk about your school, but mine has a lot of alumni events. Growth of my school was largely based on alumni fundings.

I look at my college as an investment. You want to keep your investment going you have to put money into it. (Growth) Whenever you go for a job interview, the employer checks your credentials. If your school isn't accredited or have some problems you might have a problem getting a job? (maybe) So if you give back, the money you send will help with scholarships, recruiting, school equipment, etc. I know a college in VA who lost their accreditation... Their alumni funds were extremely low too. They actually closed the school this year after 125yr of teaching.

So yeah
Old 10-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Re: College alumni: do you donate back to your school?

No. There is plenty of money there

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!

Last edited by GRIFFIN; 10-05-2013 at 12:03 AM.
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Hell naw I gave them plenty with my tuition

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
I give them some money ($100) this year when I got a new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Lol, **** no. After working for the school, I know how financially irresponsible they are.

I paid my tuition, and that's all they're getting. I owe them nothing else. Their inability to handle money isn't my problem.
this
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Nope.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
They got enough of my money.........And I paid off my wife's loans when we got married. They will never see another dime from me.....Just like Honda
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Why? They already make too much.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I do annually. I'm also an alumni board member so my employer donates money, too.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796

To the school? No. But I do hang around the football locker room and hand out envelopes full of cash to the players who perform well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post

Exactly. I love and rep my school, I'll watch every football and basketball game on tv, fly a flag on my porch but fvck giving them money.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Considering how much tuition rates got jacked up in just the 4 years I went there...not going to anytime soon. My school has a decent amount of millionaires who are donating funds for entire academic and dorm buildings.

Quote:
"I think it's very important to have a feedback loop, where you're constantly thinking about what you've done and how you could be doing it better. I think that's the single best piece of advice: constantly think about how you could be doing things better and questioning yourself."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
trj

My Ride: 325Ci

As I paid out of state tuition for both my graduate degrees, I've given more than what I owed for the education the schools gave me. So NO, not giving a single penny extra.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I wouldn't mind having my name on a tower at the football stadium in the future, or at least on a research building. But right now, no, I'm broke as sh!t and paying tuition.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-05-2013 at 10:18 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
CJPatel

My Ride: E92 335, F430 Spider
yeh I do a few 100 a year

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
2003.5 Mystic Blue M3 6spd :(
2009 E92 335i, MSport, 6spd
CJPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Re: College alumni: do you donate back to your school?

Went to NC State for undergraduate. Will never donate $1. Loved the school but I could see the waste on a daily basis. They had pioneer plasmas for bus routing information.

ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
tks

My Ride: slower than yours

I donate to local and state police enough. I don't want to donate anymore.
tks is offline   Reply With Quote