E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
thecarguy

My Ride: ZHP Sedan
Lightbulb New Clutch Switch "MOD"?...

So I have searched and read endlessly for my issue...

Car will start sometimes no problem first try, other times I have to stomp the clutch to the floor and then it will start. I thought maybe my clutch switch was going out, and I was dreading the possibility of the starter. I thought it couldn't be the started though as stomping the clutch to the floor made it so I could always start car.

The previous owner did do the clutch stop mod, and I have since adjusted it so that it is out as far as possible to be able to start the car. Well obviously sometimes a bit too far.

So I thought instead of the disabling mod to be able to start car without pushing clutch in, I thought maybe go a bit less dramatic and simply move the magnetic clutch switch device up a tad further "tricking" it so it is able to "switch" everytime so I can start the car with a normal pressing of the clutch.

Well, this worked! I tested with the clutch switch installed normal and pressed clutch in normal a few times in a row to try to start - would not start. Cheated it up with zip ties and did a number of starts in a row with just pressing the clutch in nice and soft.

Should this be ok to keep it like this? Any potential issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121201_104804.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	480362  
thecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
thecarguy

thoughts?

car drives great.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
thecarguy

can anyone answer if there would be any problems with this. Is my logic sound?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
auto180sx

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 330Ci
As long as you warn anyone else who drives your car to make sure its out of gear before the start it should be fine. Its mostly a safety measure so the car doesn't plow into something else since its already in gear... Mostly the same reason some shops wont put remote starts on cars with a manual transmission.

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186
auto180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
thecarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto180sx View Post
As long as you warn anyone else who drives your car to make sure its out of gear before the start it should be fine. Its mostly a safety measure so the car doesn't plow into something else since its already in gear... Mostly the same reason some shops wont put remote starts on cars with a manual transmission.
I still need to push the clutch in to start as I did not do the disable mod. So no wires touched or clipped. I simply moved it up a tad to cheat it's position so it engages a tad sooner allowing me to have the clutch stop set right at the sweet spot.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Kmoy2002

My Ride: 2002tii, 540i, 330i
Zip ties look pretty ghetto. Scroll down to the EWS section. I covered how to disable to clutch switch here. Currently, I have it disabled (set to manual transmission)

To DISABLE the clutch switch:
-select "Coding data"
-select "Settings and manufacture settings"
-select Manual transmission
note* only for manuals
note** this allows you to start the car without having to depress the clutch

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=935613

Last edited by Kmoy2002; 12-02-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Kmoy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
thecarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmoy2002 View Post
Zip ties look pretty ghetto. Scroll down to the EWS section. I covered how to disable to clutch switch here. Currently, I have it disabled (set to manual transmission)

-select "Coding data"
note* only for manuals

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=935613
Oh I'll be the first to admit it looks ghetto, but unless the panel is off and you are contorted under the dash...you can't see it.

I really just want to know if I could be causing any issues by cheating it up. I figured if some people like yourself are disabling it entirely, I am guessing I wouldn't be causing any harm to the car by doing this.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
thecarguy

I feel the need to post again since this is not getting much traction.

I want to update that my car is driving much better after doing this. The clutch engagement between gears (especially 1 to 2) is now smooth and not jerky like these are stock. It just feels much better.

Can anyone explain how this is and again I really just want to know if this will cause any issues. While it does drive much better I do not want it to be at the expense of the car.

Before anyone asks - I deleated the CDV way back.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
thecarguy

No thoughts?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #10
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
how did you do this?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
VERY NICE mod just did this myself.

keeps the clutch in to start car function- safety feature. but lets you start car if you put a little clutch in.

NICE. should keep summertime clutch start woes away
i had to slam my clutch in multiple times before.

should be fine.

that switch is the safety switch. only for startups

ur clutch pedal is actually doing the clutch work. so driving it shouldnt really matter whether or not the magnet is moved up or down.

altenatively if you want a no clutch start you can ziptie or electrical tape a magnetic next to there. but thats dangerous. i prefer this.

Last edited by omhl; 12-26-2012 at 04:54 AM.
omhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
smorris_12

My Ride: 320d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by omhl View Post
altenatively if you want a no clutch start you can ziptie or electrical tape a magnetic next to there. but thats dangerous.
Yep. On this side of the pond we don't get clutch switches and I'm forever being towed out of the side of buildings I'd parked next to.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
smorris_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Kmoy2002

My Ride: 2002tii, 540i, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarguy View Post
Oh I'll be the first to admit it looks ghetto, but unless the panel is off and you are contorted under the dash...you can't see it.

I really just want to know if I could be causing any issues by cheating it up. I figured if some people like yourself are disabling it entirely, I am guessing I wouldn't be causing any harm to the car by doing this.
Does no harm by disabling the switch. It's more a safety feature for the us market to prevent the car from lurching forwards when starting in the event the driver is unaware they are in gear. Seeing as how you're disabling, why not disable it the proper way? I used PA Soft

-select "Coding data"
note* only for manuals
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
seriously, do you guys not read? he did not disable the switch. he simply moved it forward (toward the driver) so that he wouldn't have to press so far down to start the car. he says pressing down normally, so i guess it's still going the full distance to not engage the clutch, just not more than you have to to start the car. but if he moved it up farther than that, then i would agree with everyone else. it's basically the same as disabling it.

but OP, that switch has nothing to do with driving itself. however, because you adjusted the clutch stop, that's probably what's helping you. i never push the clutch all the way down to the clutch stop except to turn on the car.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote