E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
dpk204

My Ride: 04 325i
changing valve cover gasket @42K, should I change plugs too?

I'm getting some white smoke from the passenger side of the engine compartment as well as a burning smell. Car runs fine so I think it is the valve cover gasket going bad.

I just want to know if you recommend I change the plugs while i'm down there? The car has only 42K.

I asked Bavauto and they said it's up to me but they recommend the BMW oem plug and not the NGK platinum.

What do you think?

Also, I'm not going to attempt to change the VANOS seals because the bavauto rep said it was more intensive work.
dpk204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Well, if you consider changing your plugs "being down there" then you might as well just do it and forget about it. It's not really anything of an expense and you'll have some other things out of the way for the VCG. The real question should be why not.

BTW are you losing oil? Can you see oil on the passenger side of the block at all?

Last edited by MacFady; 09-18-2012 at 10:47 AM.
MacFady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
No, don't waste money on changing plugs at such a low mileage. Plugs are rated for at least 100k before changing.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
you can go another 40k with those plugs.

Its up to you really. Id prob spend that extra hundred on an oil change. fuel filter.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control
to be understanding and forgiving. A great man shows his greatness, by the way he treats little men."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Vanos seals are easy. Just go to Beisan Systems and look at their DIY. Again, with such low mileage, I would wait until you have higher mileage or an actual problem.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
BMWCaptain

Spend money on your cooling system. Do preventative changes because your car is 8+ years old.

Thermostat, upper and lower hoses and the water pump.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
dpk204

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
Well, if you consider changing your plugs "being down there" then you might as well just do it and forget about it. It's not really anything of an expense and you'll have some other things out of the way for the VCG. The real question should be why not.

BTW are you losing oil? Can you see oil on the passenger side of the block at all?

No, I can't see any oil but I can see the white smoke and I can smell the burning oil. It was worse a few days ago but not too bad today. I just don't want to take any chances.

I will take your advice and leave the plugs.

Regarding the cooling system, is a coolant flush good enough?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Wait... White smoke? That's typically coolant, not oil.
Where is the smoke coming from exactly? Any coolant loss? Any oil loss?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
you can go another 40k with those plugs.

Its up to you really. Id prob spend that extra hundred on an oil change. fuel filter.
Spark plugs shouldn't be any more than $50 or so
Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
I get iridium plugs about 87$ + tax

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control
to be understanding and forgiving. A great man shows his greatness, by the way he treats little men."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
frk2

My Ride: 2003 e46 330ci
OEM NGK's (I think BQ4EUP or something) work pretty good (4 pronged, laser platinum they call them)
frk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
I get iridium plugs about 87$ + tax
Has anybody actually recorded a difference with these fancy and expensive plugs? I mean, if a plug ignites the fuel reliably and resists fouling, I don't know what else you could ask for. Combustion effciency really has more to do with proper mixing of the air and fuel coming into the cylinder than the spark that starts the chemical reaction.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
frk2

My Ride: 2003 e46 330ci
I'm a technologist and I would go as far as to say that unless you know what the hell you are doing (and know better than dudes who designed the car) stick to OE specs Getting better plugs is like a dumb Systems administrator thinking he knows better about code than I do, throwing more money in to get better hardware which is actually incompatible with the code I wrote
frk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
BKR6EQUP are the ones. and all six should be less than $60..
haurelio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frk2 View Post
I'm a technologist and I would go as far as to say that unless you know what the hell you are doing (and know better than dudes who designed the car) stick to OE specs Getting better plugs is like a dumb Systems administrator thinking he knows better about code than I do, throwing more money in to get better hardware which is actually incompatible with the code I wrote
I agree with this philosophy. When it comes to plugs it just doesn't matter, I think. If the plug works, it works. The sparks start the reaction and that is the end of that as far as I can tell. Maybe some of the quad plugs offer a larger spark or something, but I still can't see how that would help and I have studied engines. That doesm't mean I know everything about them, far from it, but I never even came across the topic of different spark plugs during the time I was studying them.

Last edited by WDE46; 09-18-2012 at 12:16 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
dpk204

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Wait... White smoke? That's typically coolant, not oil.
Where is the smoke coming from exactly? Any coolant loss? Any oil loss?

It's coming from the passenger side. I was told that if it is coming from the driver's side then it is a coolant problem.

Regarding the spark plugs, the oem are $21 and the NGK platinum are $9.

Anybody know why that is?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk204 View Post
It's coming from the passenger side. I was told that if it is coming from the driver's side then it is a coolant problem.

Because of namebrand mark-up.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk204 View Post

Three letters.....

BMW

No difference in the two models.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #19
JAndreF321

My Ride: Jet Black E46 M3
I'm getting this smoke and oil burning smell also on passenger side...i can see some oil just above the headers that appears to be the source. This is the valve cover gasket, right?
JAndreF321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #20
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndreF321 View Post
I'm getting this smoke and oil burning smell also on passenger side...i can see some oil just above the headers that appears to be the source. This is the valve cover gasket, right?
Should be. Yes.

Op: i wouldn't replace them. They're a wear by mileage part. Not a wear by age. You should be good up to around 100k miles on those.