E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Br3tt71

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Angel eyes

These are probably dumb questions but I'm confused. So I just installed my Orion v2 opaque angel eyes and they look great. But I keep on seeing in everyone's photos that they only have the angel eyes on as the day time running lights without the regular bulb behind them. As of right now my car has the angel eyes and the regular day time running lights come on which is not what I want. I want just the angel eyes to be the day time running lights does anyone know how to do that? Also I have regular non xenon headlights and at night when the regular night lights come on the color of that bulb does not match my angel eyes. Can I just go to Walmart or autozone and buy a 6000k bulb and stick it in my headlights to match the color or do I have to do something else??
Br3tt71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
It sounds like your saying you have daytime running lights on all the time. This can be shut off by the dealer or a local BMW mechanic with the proper equipment. If you buy different headlights, get Sylvania SilverStars.

Don't mess around with buying different color temperature lamps, you'll end up being that guy with blue headlights.

BTW, the best light temperature is around 4300k.

Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
e46ornothing

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Or wat most guys do is just take off the DLR bulb lol.. solves the problem..
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly are Angel Eyes?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly are Angel Eyes?
Forget that. I got it. Always wondered why somecars have them and mine doesn't. They easy to fit or what?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
RA733

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
It sounds like your saying you have daytime running lights on all the time. This can be shut off by the dealer or a local BMW mechanic with the proper equipment. If you buy different headlights, get Sylvania SilverStars.

Don't mess around with buying different color temperature lamps, you'll end up being that guy with blue headlights.

I second tht 4300k look b*chin, I love the way they look

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Forget that. I got it. Always wondered why somecars have them and mine doesn't. They easy to fit or what?
Ya bud thy go on like a good par of eye glasses, just do a lil reading, then a lil cuting and splicing, thn BAM u got urslef a great looken par of headlights

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App
RA733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Code the car to have the DRL's turned off and save up $280 for a Morimoto projector retrofit.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Br3tt71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post

So are you saying that for me to change the night time lights I would need to get a whole new headlight assembly? Or just get a new bulb
Old 08-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Just bulbs, but get halogen bulbs and not a HID kit
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
TomTomTuning

My Ride: Black Sapphire ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46ornothing View Post
Or wat most guys do is just take off the DLR bulb lol.. solves the problem..
Aren't the DRL's the same bulb as the high-beams?
So if you remove the bulb, you will no longer have a high beam?

From what I've read the best option is to disable the DRL's via reprogramming the car. The dealer can do this, or you can buy a device your self.

I just purchased this BMW Scanner 1.4.0, which should allow me to enable/disable the cars features.

Photos: Flickr & 500PX
TomTomTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Br3tt71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post

From what I've read the best option is to disable the DRL's via reprogramming the car. The dealer can do this, or you can buy a device your self.

I just purchased this BMW Scanner 1.4.0, which should allow me to enable/disable the cars features.
What computer software do you have? I hear that you can't use the scanner on windows 7 or vista
Old 08-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br3tt71 View Post
What computer software do you have? I hear that you can't use the scanner on windows 7 or vista
If you have windows 7 ultimate it comes with windows XP virtual machine (32 bit). Just upgrade your windows to that
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post

On Xenon cars, when you flash your brights, the inner two bulbs light up at full discharge. The DRLs are the high beams, but they're only using like 20-40% power so they're dim enough to just be DRLs. (not 100% sure on those numbers obviously).

When you push the stalk forward to have your brights on indefinitely, it refocuses the regular xenon headlight beam further up to illuminate more of the road (autoleveling stops).

OP has halogens, so I think his high beams are the inner lights for flashing and for indefinite use.

The best option is to find someone who will code the car for a good price/free.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

Last edited by tock172; 08-18-2012 at 01:16 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
have drl turned off at dealer, get bulbs to match your angle eyes or damn close from jlevi

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Br3tt71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
have drl turned off at dealer, get bulbs to match your angle eyes or damn close from jlevi
Can you send me a link to a bulb that would match my angel eyes 6000k. I only have regular headlight bulbs nothing special I don't no if they are halogen but I definitely no that they aren't xenon.

Last edited by Br3tt71; 08-18-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
MercForHire

My Ride: Estoril Blue 228i
too much bling for a 323 srsly
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
On Xenon cars, when you flash your brights, the inner two bulbs light up at full discharge. The DRLs are the high beams, but they're only using like 20-40% power so they're dim enough to just be DRLs. (not 100% sure on those numbers obviously).
When you push the stalk forward to have your brights on indefinitely, it refocuses the regular xenon headlight beam further up to illuminate more of the road (autoleveling stops).
Yep correct.
You can't take out the USA DRL bulb unless you intend to remove the only bulb in the hosuing.
All correct for bi-xenon. But for the early xenons the headlamp bulb does not refocus the bulb in the housing, it stays the same. only bi-xenon refocus' the bulb with the highbeams

Quote:
Can you send me a link to a bulb that would match my angel eyes 6000k. I only have regular headlight bulbs nothing special I don't no if they are halogen but I definitely no that they aren't xenon.
best to contact the vendor/company of these Orions you ordered and ask which bulbs they sell to match the color. they will know best.
personally i like the contrast and best lighting of the 4300K.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Yep correct.
You can't take out the USA DRL bulb unless you intend to remove the only bulb in the hosuing.
All correct for bi-xenon. But for the early xenons the headlamp bulb does not refocus the bulb in the housing, it stays the same. only bi-xenon refocus' the bulb with the highbeams
So what happens when you want your brights on indefinitely for an early xenon car? Does it use the inner halogen bulbs?

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
To turn DRL off...

Goto dealer for them to code it to turn off

or...

Buy OBD 2 to USB cable from ebay, install download DiS/Gt1 or NCS Expert (bmwcoding.com for more info] if you're a techy kinda guy. Plus you can change other things to (One touch up/down windows with remote, door open/close sound, etc) as well as do your own diagnostics.
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-323...Bulbs/ES11129/

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote