E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
silyb0y

My Ride: E46 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
If Lemforder is OEM, then everyone complains about Lemforder. They are destroyed after less than 50,000 miles.
Well - then I guess either american roads are much worse than german roads or the parts on export cars have a lower quality than those used on cars for the german market. Of course - you can also be wrong or you have simply exaggerated.

I changed mine at 100.000 km (about 62.000 miles) and they were not destroyed nor leaking at the time - just a bit soft. I know a whole bunch of poeple who have 150.000 km (about 93.000 miles) on the speedo and they still run the original hydrobearings that came from the factory - not destroyed nor leaking.

Say those bearing make it to 60.000 miles -> thats the cars halftime. I usually change all my shock absorbers and bushings and stuff (hydrobearings) after 60.000 miles. After all - those are wearing parts. How long do you expect them to last?

Go to e46fanatics.de (german site) and people will tell you that Meyle Parts arent just cheap but also really really bad (they ought to know). IMHO - Meyle is not even a manufacturer...

BMW engineers designed the hydrobearing as such for good reason. Without the "hydro" (like on Meyle HD parts) those bearings dont work the way they are supposed to. On e46fanatics.de there are lots of people who have complained about those Meyle parts. They dont just make the ride stiffer - they can also cause the steering to vibrate and so on. In my opinion there is no better BMW parts manufacturer than Lemförder. Go to any german BMW forum and thats what people will tell you.

Lets be honest - people only use PU bushings and Meyle parts because these parts are cheaper. Anyway - there is a reason why PU bushings and Meyle parts are mainly sold on ebay...

Quote:
I think most people complaining about the Meyle HD ones do not install them properly. They must be slid on the control arm a certain distance. If you put them on too far, they will get ripped out. You also have to wait for your lube to dry up (used to slide them on) before driving.
How about all the complains from people who buy the whole thing (Meyle control arms with hydrobearings already installed)?

Quote:
Poly bushings are pretty much fool proof. I have Powerflex and they have been great so far after several thousand miles.
Been there - made my own eperiences - dont believe in PU bushings anymore. Ive seen Powerflex bushings fail after a few thousand miles -> deformation due to overheating -> yes Im serious.
silyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
This is how they currently look, is it risky to drive on it. I'm waiting on the power flex ones to arrive in mail. Sorry for the blurry photos

OP i have the #6 CA , is that the 60mm or 66mm??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354855404.120940.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	481234   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354855421.371379.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	481235  

00 E46 323I current
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD

Last edited by Bimmer_Addict; 12-07-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #23
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silyb0y View Post
Well - then I guess either american roads are much worse than german roads or the parts on export cars have a lower quality than those used on cars for the german market. Of course - you can also be wrong or you have simply exaggerated.

Our roads may be worse. I know our highways are much rougher than your Autobahn. With a 70 mph speed limit, there can be bumps and some potholes in the road without killing anyone. I also doubt the quality is different. They are identical parts between exports and cars that stay in Germany

I changed mine at 100.000 km (about 62.000 miles) and they were not destroyed nor leaking at the time - just a bit soft. I know a whole bunch of poeple who have 150.000 km (about 93.000 miles) on the speedo and they still run the original hydrobearings that came from the factory - not destroyed nor leaking.

That's honestly not believable. I bet their cars drive horribly and they don't even know it. I had 65K on my car and it needed RTABs, FCABs, and a steering flex disk desperately. I put on new control arms too.

Say those bearing make it to 60.000 miles -> thats the cars halftime. I usually change all my shock absorbers and bushings and stuff (hydrobearings) after 60.000 miles. After all - those are wearing parts. How long do you expect them to last?

Longer than that. My father has a Lexus GS300 with almost 150K on it. It still drives very tight and he hasn't done any extra maintenance to it. The E46 suffers from accelerated bushing wear. There is absolutely no denying that. Most car's shocks last 100K miles and that's what is expected.

Go to e46fanatics.de (german site) and people will tell you that Meyle Parts arent just cheap but also really really bad (they ought to know). IMHO - Meyle is not even a manufacturer...

This makes no sense. Why would a German know more about these cars than us? Also, Meyle is a manufacturer. That isn't a matter of opinion. Some of their other parts are suspect, but their bushings have a good record.

BMW engineers designed the hydrobearing as such for good reason. Without the "hydro" (like on Meyle HD parts) those bearings dont work the way they are supposed to. On e46fanatics.de there are lots of people who have complained about those Meyle parts. They dont just make the ride stiffer - they can also cause the steering to vibrate and so on. In my opinion there is no better BMW parts manufacturer than Lemförder. Go to any german BMW forum and thats what people will tell you.

BMW engineers designed the oil filled bushing (it is not a bearing) to absorb vibration to reduce road noise and feel in the cabin. Meyle's and PU bushings simply stiffen it up at the cost of noise and vibration. It's not like this is hurting the chassis.

Lets be honest - people only use PU bushings and Meyle parts because these parts are cheaper. Anyway - there is a reason why PU bushings and Meyle parts are mainly sold on ebay...

PU bushings and Meyle bushings are sold on almost every single parts site on the internet, not just Ebay. I would also be willing to bet 90% of people on this forum do not buy theirs from Ebay.

How about all the complains from people who buy the whole thing (Meyle control arms with hydrobearings already installed)?

I don't know. Show me some of those complaints. There aren't any recent ones on this forum at all.

Been there - made my own eperiences - dont believe in PU bushings anymore. Ive seen Powerflex bushings fail after a few thousand miles -> deformation due to overheating -> yes Im serious.

Whoever had theirs deform did not properly grease the bushings then. I drive on some of the roughest interstate roads in the nation and I have no problems with Powerflex FCABs or RTABs. My car is louder, but I don't care.
bolded

Last edited by WDE46; 12-07-2012 at 07:32 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
i have the #6 control arm, is that 60 or 66 mm?

00 E46 323I current
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote