E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
diM3tri

My Ride: 330ci + stg2 Scoobie
Help diagnosing this problem..

So I haven't driven my car for about a week and i get in and my battery is dead.. the battery is about 4-5 years old so its time for a new one. i use my dads car to jump it so i can go get a new battery. theres a place less then a mile down the road. As im driving i hear a sort of creaking noise from the front right of the car.. my first thought was this was because its cold and i haven't driven it in a while. then as pull up i smell a strong burning oil smell. I get out, pop my hood and white smoke was coming out from my valve cover and from around the fog lights. This scared me so I immediately shut off the engine. First thing I did was check my oil. Oil level was good. I did an oil change about 3 weeks ago with Mobil synthetic 1. Next I thought it could be my coolant. My coolant was slightly low so I bought new coolant and topped it off. I do need a new valve cover gasket as mine is on its way out as i noticed but i didnt think the valve cover gasket could make the engine smoke like that.. On the way home, I still smelled it. This really got me worried! If anyone has an idea of what could be wrong that would be greatly appreciated!

Current Cars:
'99 Big Turbo B5 A4 (the red one) ^^^
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi

Last edited by diM3tri; 12-01-2012 at 04:37 PM.
diM3tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
diM3tri

Anyone ??

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
diM3tri

Anyone have some advice please? Is my car safe to drive ? I need to solve this but I have no idea what could be wrong..

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Just a wild guess but it sounds like you VCG is so fubar that it is allowing the oil vapor and smoke in your engine to pass through it without hesitation. Replace your VCG as soon as possible. Just my two and a half cents worth...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
FYI, search the forum here if you plan on replacing the VCG yourself.

I think the consensus is to use the dealer gasket set and not the Victor Reinz gaskets.

Just keep an eye on oil and coolant leaks. Also check your SAP hose from the pump to the diverter valve, could be a possible source of smoke?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
Just a wild guess but it sounds like you VCG is so fubar that it is allowing the oil vapor and smoke in your engine to pass through it without hesitation. Replace your VCG as soon as possible. Just my two and a half cents worth...
Thanks! I hope it the VCG because that is something not too expensive.. Do you think my car is safe to drive at the moment or will I risk any damage to the engine?

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Robaidh

My Ride: e46 318 2.0 coupe
Hi mate i had a simillar problem but didnt have smoke i just had loss of power and a smell of oil. it turned out that their is a breather pipe the goes from where the cams are back into the sump i think might be wrong in saying it. anway this pipe had completly collapsed in on its self, if you take the plastic engine covers off just the right hand one as you look at the engine you should see a short hose their thats the one that collapsed for me. maybe that could be your problem a guy on another fourm said he thought it was my CCV valve or something but then he was dead sure that by battery was done for hense why i had loss of power. turns out theoil that i am smelling is from some valve thats just verry slightly dripping onto the manifold and burning off. This probibly has nothing to do with your problem but it might be so thought i would try and help as best as i could.
Robaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
tepps

My Ride: 2005 325
smoke

You say that you have smoke coming from valve cover area,and fog lights?? This is rather unusual .. I would run engine and make a visual inspection, from a cold start, to watch where smoke is first coming out from..t hen report back.f you are still confused, take car to a professional.
tepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepps View Post
You say that you have smoke coming from valve cover area,and fog lights?? This is rather unusual .. I would run engine and make a visual inspection, from a cold start, to watch where smoke is first coming out from..t hen report back.f you are still confused, take car to a professional.
I'm gonna replace the valve cover gasket and see what happens..

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitriGregorio View Post
I'm gonna replace the valve cover gasket and see what happens..
Don't just go replacing it without doing any investigating. If your VCG is good then you don't want to break the seal unnecessarily. Find where the smoke is coming from first.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
diM3tri

I talked to a mechanic he said its most likely my VCG. Plus when I look at the deal I see oil around the edges. So whether or not this is a seperate issue, my VCG does need to be replaced

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi