E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
Beanchomper

My Ride: 2002 330xi
oem in the winter.
Beanchomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #22
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
Blacked out, NE is brutal on wheels. How do you do it? You have no tire at all. At least throw some 245/40s on them.
Are those beyern wheels? they are probably trashed by now.
I have 235/40s on Beyern 18x8-1/2. Have them 4 yrs, no damage except for one lip that got hung up on a piece of rebar sricking out of a curb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDLXSFx View Post
That looks nice Rickna, by the way, where did you order your European Style License Plate? Always loved those!
I got rid of the euro plate after I got a $117 ticket from a cop that probably didn't get laid the night before, or the entire month for that matter...LOL
Got it here-http://www.autoplates.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanchomper View Post
oem in the winter.
Yup, OEMs for winter.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #23
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Untint the lights and black out the trim. Then would look decent. Maybe buy aftermarket lights that are darker.

Last edited by HBizzo88; 12-03-2012 at 05:30 PM.
HBizzo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #24
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
I got rid of the euro plate after I got a $117 ticket from a cop that probably didn't get laid the night before, or the entire month for that matter...LOL
That's funny, you'd think they'd at least give you a warning ticket first. Stupid Cops. Hate the Black or White, no Grey zone thinkers some of 'em are.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #25
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
That's funny, you'd think they'd at least give you a warning ticket first. Stupid Cops. Hate the Black or White, no Grey zone thinkers some of 'em are.
Yeah, he says "I bet you think that's cute" I felt like saying "not as cute as you hadsome..." Haha. I'm sure he knew I had a Valentine 1, and he just had to get me on something-What a dickhead.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #26
ZemogFC3S

My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Don't listen to anybody. It's your car and it doesn't have to please anyone but you.
Yet he's the one who put it on the internet for peoples opinions.

It looks pretty ghetto now. Great job making a nice car look cheap.
Please lower the thing so it doesn't look like its on its tiptoes.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #27
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZemogFC3S View Post
No kiddin...

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 12-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #28
R3C0NF1GUR3D_GRIM

My Ride: 330xi
Thumbs Up

A guy in my car club got his from Here and he loves it. I haven't goten one from these guys but i have seen them and they dont look half bad.
http://www.europeanplates.com/
R3C0NF1GUR3D_GRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
Quote:
Don't listen to anybody. It's your car and it doesn't have to please anyone but you.
I agree. It's good to see some people are not as closed minded as others..
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
E46er75

Quote:

It looks pretty ghetto now. Great job making a nice car look cheap.
Please lower the thing so it doesn't look like its on its tiptoes.

and you are? It's funny, you tell him it looks cheap and ghetto, then tell him to lower it?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #31
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
To each their own, what appeals to one doesn't appeal to another. My E46 black 325xi has deep tinted windows, blacked out grill, Beyern Mesh Wheels ( black with polished lip), black replacing the blue on all the Roundels and we like it. My silver E46 330xi sport has blacked out grill, black and silver on all the Roundels and deep tinted glass. Both look great as far as I'm concerned and both gets looks from many passers-by. But then, I also use cross-drilled rotors, stainless steel brake lines and paint my calipers, lol. So, their are conservative ones here (though I don't know that lowering an xi is conservative) and there are those that will like what you have done, in the end, its your car and if you like the look, that's ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #32
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyer View Post
To each their own, what appeals to one doesn't appeal to another. My E46 black 325xi has deep tinted windows, blacked out grill, Beyern Mesh Wheels ( black with polished lip), black replacing the blue on all the Roundels and we like it. My silver E46 330xi sport has blacked out grill, black and silver on all the Roundels and deep tinted glass. Both look great as far as I'm concerned and both gets looks from many passers-by. But then, I also use cross-drilled rotors, stainless steel brake lines and paint my calipers, lol. So, their are conservative ones here (though I don't know that lowering an xi is conservative) and there are those that will like what you have done, in the end, its your car and if you like the look, that's ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS.
Well said-I agree.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #33
ZemogFC3S

My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er75 View Post
and you are? It's funny, you tell him it looks cheap and ghetto, then tell him to lower it?
Yes, his aftermarket rims look ridiculous with the xi's higher suspension.

Lowering an xi does not make it cheap or ghetto. We get an almost stock sport suspension height when we lower. You are loco good sir.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #34
E46er75

Quote:
Yes, his aftermarket rims look ridiculous with the xi's higher suspension.

Lowering an xi does not make it cheap or ghetto. We get an almost stock sport suspension height when we lower. You are loco good sir.
If you had a clue you would be dangerous... Thankfully you don't.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #35
Beanchomper

My Ride: 2002 330xi
I was thinkin about droppin it about an inch or so in the spring cause it does sit high with these wheels. Suggestions on springs?
Beanchomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #36
xDLXSFx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
I was thinkin about droppin it about an inch or so in the spring cause it does sit high with these wheels. Suggestions on springs?
Not to troll the thread, but glad this came up. Ive read a lot of controversy about lowering an Xi; that a modest drop is alright, but slamming it is out of the question. Something about CV boots leaking when you drop it ruining the axle, others blame the 'clamps' on the boots. Some dont even recommend it, especially for longevity. Ive seen a lot of Xi's over the forums though that are lowered; so they either just went for it, have the money to fix, or it is just a myth? (That you cant lower an Xi) I would like to know myself, since I want a nice stance on my Xi, but honestly cant afford anything to go wrong at the same time. To the people that do have em lowered, theres even controversy on springs vs. coilovers that I wont even get into, since I have no idea lol
xDLXSFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #37
Rickna

Quote:
No problem lowering an xi, but I wouldn't slam it. Yes there is contoversy about it, but you don't know about others' driving habbits, etc. I've been on Eibach's for 3 yrs and there are no problems of any kind. It's dropped about 0.8" (I am also on Koni shocks). H & R will drop about 1" but some say the ride is somewhat harsh. The Eibach's give a smoother ride-very important since I have a spinal condition.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #38
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Not to troll the thread, but glad this came up. Ive read a lot of controversy about lowering an Xi...
Controversy indeed. But remember, stiffer shocks and struts transfer more energy - applied physics or force.

One popular option is to add reinforcement items like strut mounting rings and new rear shock mounts including aftermarket plates. Seems the stock strut towers can mushroom or the rear shock mounts can tear body metal due to the additional stress your new components transfer. Of course this is subjective to how the car is driven, the wheel diameter, etc.

The biggest deal is camber. If you go low, you need to compensate rear camber with aftermarket parts or they eat tires. Add all the proper parts to pull this off including a 4-wheel alignment and budget to do it right. Half-baked attempts are sad.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #39
xDLXSFx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
No problem lowering an xi, but I wouldn't slam it. Yes there is contoversy about it, but you don't know about others' driving habbits, etc. I've been on Eibach's for 3 yrs and there are no problems of any kind. It's dropped about 0.8" (I am also on Koni shocks). H & R will drop about 1" but some say the ride is somewhat harsh. The Eibach's give a smoother ride-very important since I have a spinal condition.

So you are on springs and shocks? What made you decide to go with that over coil-overs, or even bags? I would love to lower my Xi eventually, to hug the top of the wheel, and also for the performance aspect, but been through a lot with her already, and dont need another set-back if something were to go wrong.
xDLXSFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #40
Rickna

Quote:
So you are on springs and shocks? What made you decide to go with that over coil-overs, or even bags? I would love to lower my Xi eventually, to hug the top of the wheel, and also for the performance aspect, but been through a lot with her already, and dont need another set-back if something were to go wrong.
Both rear springs were broken. I wanted some drop, but not alot. It's my DD and I didn't want a sled in the winter. I have a very serious spinal condition and a harsh ride would not only be uncomfortable but damaging as well.

My_Mods_&_Stuff

Tags
19, 330xi, black, fresh., sick