E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
Dwades Progress Thread

whats up everyone? just looking for some advice and tips on my workout/diet.

i have a buddy who is a nutritionist/avid lifter and hes been giving me my workouts. each week he changes the workouts and this is my current weeks workout:

Monday chest
4x10 bench
3x8 reverse grip bench
2 x 5-1ís dumbbell incline
3x12,10,8, 12, standing high cable crossovers

Tuesday back
Lying hyperextensions 3x15 slow
3x10 wide grip pull-downs
2x10 reverse grip pull-downs
3x8 barbell row
3x10,6,10 deadlift

Wednesday legs
4x12,10,6,10 squats
1set of 20 front squat
3x10 superset leg press with db Romanian dl
3x10,8,15 leg extensions

Thursday shoulders
Tri set 3x10 db lateral raise, seated bent over laterals, standing db press
4x8 db shoulder press dropset the last two sets
3x10 shoulder shrugs

Friday arms
Superset 3x10 standing barbell curl, lying skull crusher
2 sets Dumbbell 21ís
superset 3x10 close-grip bench, dumbbell hammer curl

Every Day:
1 mile-walk/run
abs (i have a 20min routine)

My Diet consists mostly of chicken, rice, fish and veggies.

currently im not taking any supplements besides whey protein, but id like to try some other things that may help me with my overall gains.

i weigh (as of this morning) 157. ive dropped about 20ish lbs in the last few months and im not looking to lose anymore.

my goal is to be a lean/cut 175-180.

Any Tips & Advice?

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
How do you like working out 5 days a week? Good that you have a solid friend who can help you.

Sounds like your diet is good, what about beef? What's your fat intake like, and from what sources (besides the fish)

If your diet is in check like you say, don't worry about supplements for now, you will still get great gains without wasting energy/money on them. Just need fish oil supplements, a good sport multivitamin, and whey protein. Since you are from Seattle area, I would suggest a Vitamin D supplement as I doubt you are getting enough from sunlight / food etc.

You are going to have to eat a LOT more than you are currently used to doing. To lose 20 lbs, you were at a deficit, most likely around 500 calories a day. So you now need to cover that 500, plus add 500 more... so an additional 1000 calories a day. About two more meals than you are eating, to make it simple I would just increase the portions in the meal pattern you are currently eating.

Maybe give some more details on your average day meal frequency wise, and what is in each meal, and what time you train etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
How do you like working out 5 days a week? Good that you have a solid friend who can help you.

Sounds like your diet is good, what about beef? What's your fat intake like, and from what sources (besides the fish)

If your diet is in check like you say, don't worry about supplements for now, you will still get great gains without wasting energy/money on them. Just need fish oil supplements, a good sport multivitamin, and whey protein. Since you are from Seattle area, I would suggest a Vitamin D supplement as I doubt you are getting enough from sunlight / food etc.

You are going to have to eat a LOT more than you are currently used to doing. To lose 20 lbs, you were at a deficit, most likely around 500 calories a day. So you now need to cover that 500, plus add 500 more... so an additional 1000 calories a day. About two more meals than you are eating, to make it simple I would just increase the portions in the meal pattern you are currently eating.

Maybe give some more details on your average day meal frequency wise, and what is in each meal, and what time you train etc.

i was excercising 6-7 days when i was overseas since there was nothing to do. thats why i lost so much. but i dont mind working out 5days now that im back home...gives me something to do after work.

the problem im having now is finding places to eat that arent fast food. im rarely at my house to prep meals ahead of time so its either fast food or sit down restaurants and that can get pricey.

yesterday was my first day back to work so i need to figure out a good meal schedule...this is what i did yesterday

breakfast/morning 6am-11pm:
coffee
protein shake

lunch 11am-12pm:
chicken wrap
chicken caesar salad

workout 330-430

dinner 8pm:
2 chicken breast
couscous with spinach
cup of home chili

i was at my buddy (the nutritionist) house so he made me dinner...it was kinda late and i was starving...

i honestly need some kinda snacks or something i can eat in between meals. while i was gone i feel like i sped up my metabolism since i was eating about 5 small meals and 1 big one everyday

R.I.P

Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
i was excercising 6-7 days when i was overseas since there was nothing to do. thats why i lost so much. but i dont mind working out 5days now that im back home...gives me something to do after work.

the problem im having now is finding places to eat that arent fast food. im rarely at my house to prep meals ahead of time so its either fast food or sit down restaurants and that can get pricey.

yesterday was my first day back to work so i need to figure out a good meal schedule...this is what i did yesterday

breakfast/morning 6am-11pm:
coffee
protein shake

lunch 11am-12pm:
chicken wrap
chicken caesar salad

workout 330-430

dinner 8pm:
2 chicken breast
couscous with spinach
cup of home chili

i was at my buddy (the nutritionist) house so he made me dinner...it was kinda late and i was starving...

i honestly need some kinda snacks or something i can eat in between meals. while i was gone i feel like i sped up my metabolism since i was eating about 5 small meals and 1 big one everyday
It seems like the biggest hurdle for you to have sustainable change will be learning to manage your time to allow for home cooked meals 80% minimum of the time. If you don't eat 80% of your meals made in your kitchen, I can pretty much guarantee you will either stagnate weight wise best case, or balloon back to where you were.

The good news is forget about "stoking the metabolic fire" bs. A cool technique called interminent fasting has pretty much disproven the "6 meals a day" recommendation. Cliffs of this technique (works wonders for fat loss) is you eat all your meals in an 8 hour window, could be two huge meals, three big meals, 4 medium meals etc... doesnt matter as long as its in or around an 8 hour window... meaning you don't have any food for 16 hours. A practical example would be you eat at noon until 8 pm... so after dinner / snack at 8 you wouldn't eat until lunch (no breakfast) the next day.

This technique doesn't allow much time for overeating, and it makes sense from a scientific standpoint too. If your body is healthy and full of nutrients, and doesn't have any immediate food source... it goes to its backup (Fat stores). When you are constantly snacking and feeding yourself, the body A) learns to depend on a constant food source and B) is constantly focusing on burning dietary food instead of fat stores

Wanted to get your head away from the eating often technique recommended by most people (and most likely your nutritionist buddy).

This is good news, because instead of worrying about eating all the time, you can focus on what works for YOU. I'm not saying to do interminent fasting, but you should focus on cooking yourself breakfast (eggs/bacon, not cereal) and dinner. I am very busy myself, but I plan my cooking for me and my live-in GF every night... I cook foods that make great leftovers, so my dinner is cooked every night and I make 4 servings... two for our dinner, and two for our lunch the next day.

Sometimes you have to go out and eat lunch, which is where you should focus on going to places that have food in its most natural state... ie sit down restaurants, and being smart with food choices.

Before I get even more carried away, just list some restaurants you were thinking of I can try and help you make better decisions. And list the barriers you have to cooking your own food the majority of the time... its just so critical to success you need to find a way to get it done.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Yea man that amount of food is way way too little. Get the myfitnesspal app and keep track. I think you'll be surprised how little it is.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
OrisuE46

i work at 6am so getting up 2hours before work is not ideal for me. dinner isnt a problem im just not home. im usually only at my house to sleep during the weekdays. i never have been big on breakfast anyways. but when i do its always eggs bacon rice. we have the normal restaurants here so if im pressed for time at lunch ill just get a salad with chicken breast at bk or the mexican place on base. i think i should hit the grocery store now that im back home and stock up on some foods. my buddy is a big guy so he eats a lot. i just have been doing what works for me (to lose fat) but now i wanna bulk a bit but not gain a lot of fat in the process. i think today im gonna get some chicken rice and salad for lunch.

R.I.P

Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
DylloS

Yea dude just count the cals. Drink some milk and add some olive oil or coconut oil to your meals
Old 10-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
dabears

I think you'll find that losing fat is easy compared to bulking (the right way). Counting calories at first and learning what nutrients/calories are in a typical serving of whatever will set you up to be able to eyeball for the rest of your life.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
You're off to a good start man, you just need to eat more. I snack on almonds and carrots like crazy between meals. You are REALLY going to look like LL at a lean 175-180
Old 10-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Agreed with some of what's been said. Overall not bad, but definitely some things I would change not only with diet but your workout as well. For example, squats the day after deads would be a big no for me. However, you did say changes it each weekly, so it is what it is. However, keep in mind that although variation is good, constantly changing your workout all the time isn't great either. You need something solid to gauge your performance and progress on. On the other hand, lol @ hitting your abs everyday.

If you're serious about hitting your goals though, then get need to get serious about your diet as well. Not having time to prep or plan out your meals is just an excuse... Make time. Have to eat out? Make better food choices while at restaurants and practice portion control. Meal frequency? Whatever works for you... Whether you prefer smaller meals spread out throughout the day or a couple larger meals, either will do fine as long as you focus on eating for your goals. That's what's important.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS

Last edited by bimmerchop; 10-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Agreed with some of what's been said. Overall not bad, but definitely some things I would change not only with diet but your workout as well. For example, squats the day after deads would be a big no for me. However, you did say changes it each weekly, so it is what it is. However, keep in mind that although variation is good, constantly changing your workout all the time isn't great either. You need something solid to gauge your performance and progress on. On the other hand, lol @ hitting your abs everyday.

If you're serious about hitting your goals though, then get need to get serious about your diet as well. Not having time to prep or plan out your meals is just an excuse... Make time. Have to eat out? Make better food choices while at restaurants and practice portion control. Meal frequency? Whatever works for you... Whether you prefer smaller meals spread out throughout the day or a couple larger meals, either will do fine as long as you focus on eating for your goals. That's what's important.
I'm agree here....especially the areas in bold.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
OrisuE46

lol i didnt mean everyday. i meant every workout day. as for the work out changes. not every lift is changed, i still ALWAYS do squats, deadlifts and bench press and others. i never said i didnt have time to prep or plan out my meals i said waking up at 4am to prep meals or 10pm when i get home is not ideal for me right now...im switching schedules to nights in 2 weeks so i will have more time in the morning to prep and workout before work.

R.I.P

Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
lol i didnt mean everyday. i meant every workout day. as for the work out changes. not every lift is changed, i still ALWAYS do squats, deadlifts and bench press and others. i never said i didnt have time to prep or plan out my meals i said waking up at 4am to prep meals or 10pm when i get home is not ideal for me right now...im switching schedules to nights in 2 weeks so i will have more time in the morning to prep and workout before work.
Even THAT is too much ab work.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-23-2012 at 04:56 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Even THAT is too much ab work.
why is that? im at the point where its part of my pre-workout. should i change that? im not doing anything crazy for my routine and ive been seeing results.

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
why is that? im at the point where its part of my pre-workout. should i change that? im not doing anything crazy for my routine and ive been seeing results.
Well when you start to get heavy into the weight, doing abs as a pre will use up ATP and energy your body will need for those big lifts, ie deads and squats. Also squats and dead's a day after each other is a big no no for when you get heavy, so you might as well start out now and get accustomed to it. Try switching back and chest days and try that...otherwise looking good.

Oh, and eat some damn breakfast!!
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Well when you start to get heavy into the weight, doing abs as a pre will use up ATP and energy your body will need for those big lifts, ie deads and squats. Also squats and dead's a day after each other is a big no no for when you get heavy, so you might as well start out now and get accustomed to it. Try switching back and chest days and try that...otherwise looking good.

Oh, and eat some damn breakfast!!
so today i have squats should i not do abs then? or just wait till after my workout?

and i ate some breakfast today

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
DylloS

Quote:
so today i have squats should i not do abs then? or just wait till after my workout?

and i ate some breakfast today
do it after. Always do the harder lifts first.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Pics of you shirtless!
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
OrisuE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
do it after. Always do the harder lifts first.
ok. im still gonna run/walk a mile before.

i also have front squats...which ive never done before...what is the best technique for positioning the bar in front? i seen a few ways online but im not sure what im comfortable with yet

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
DylloS

Quote:
ok. im still gonna run/walk a mile before.

i also have front squats...which ive never done before...what is the best technique for positioning the bar in front? i seen a few ways online but im not sure what im comfortable with yet
hold it on the shoulders in the clean position.