E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
S54 Block + ESS Twinscrew

I keep having ideas of mating an S54 long block and an ESS twinscrew. Not sure if others have thought of this. As you know the twinscrew normally connects to the M52TU/M54. My thought is build an adapter plate sort of like this, but in reverse. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422245

So the thought is to use the M54 dme and ESS system with the S54 long block. Most of the engine electronic are on these pieces and the oil filter housing which could be moved over to the S54 block.
The vanos control is different but the Seattle Circuit controller could be used as the go between.

Also the S54 would need a set of low compression pistons since twinscrews don't like high compression. Probably some S54 supercharger cams would be good as well.

I realize that eliminating the individual throttle bodies from the S54 would be a negative for some but my car has a M54b25 (MS45.1 DME) and a TS2 and was thinking about how I can add an S54 to the mix in the future, when I need a new engine.

Obviously tuning this would be an issue.

Thoughts?
John

DIY BMW Performance Style Extra Air Intake
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6523&highlight
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
This just seems way too complicated.
If you are going to touch the bottom end you might as well build your b25 with b30 crank and low compression pistons. Get the ESS TS3 tune and you are done. It would be better to downgrade your DME to MS43 but ESS did an MS45 tune for stage3.

But back to your crazy idea.
What does the S54 have that M54 doesn't? Stronger internals - not really that important since you will be upgrading them anyway. Different valvetrain to allow it to rev higher (this is really where the extra power comes from). ITBs - you would be losing that advantage.

So, if you could find the way to make the M54 rev to 8k it would be as good as the S54.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
It doesn't seem that complicated to me. Maybe I am crazy. To me the S54 seems to have alot of advantages:
Iron Block, Better for boost, (better head studs)
Head flows better than M54
More Displacement

My thoughts.

DIY BMW Performance Style Extra Air Intake
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6523&highlight
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
sell your engine and SC, buy a full s54 and the MaxPSI turbo kit?

or do a s62 swap
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
a pair of GT22 turbos will make much more boost and torque compared to a twin screw system.

I have a S50 B32 with twin GT22s and the low end torque / response is amazing.
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntrhodes81 View Post
I keep having ideas of mating an S54 long block and an ESS twinscrew. Not sure if others have thought of this. As you know the twinscrew normally connects to the M52TU/M54. My thought is build an adapter plate sort of like this, but in reverse. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422245

So the thought is to use the M54 dme and ESS system with the S54 long block. Most of the engine electronic are on these pieces and the oil filter housing which could be moved over to the S54 block.
The vanos control is different but the Seattle Circuit controller could be used as the go between.

Also the S54 would need a set of low compression pistons since twinscrews don't like high compression. Probably some S54 supercharger cams would be good as well.

I realize that eliminating the individual throttle bodies from the S54 would be a negative for some but my car has a M54b25 (MS45.1 DME) and a TS2 and was thinking about how I can add an S54 to the mix in the future, when I need a new engine.

Obviously tuning this would be an issue.

Thoughts?
John
Unless you are sitting on a really big pile of cash, and have a lot of time to either do this yourself, or coach an experienced fabricator through the process, this is a bad idea.

ESS tuning has already tried to do a TS kit for the S54..and ran into problems....

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 02-21-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361461354
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntrhodes81 View Post
It doesn't seem that complicated to me. Maybe I am crazy. To me the S54 seems to have alot of advantages:
Iron Block, Better for boost, (better head studs)
Head flows better than M54
More Displacement

My thoughts.
Iron block - unless you are going for >500whp it's just more weight
Head studs - you'll have the head off, head studs is an easy upgrade
Better flow - maybe, I think most of it comes from the ITBs
Displacement - it's mainly bore (weaker walls, compensated by iron block)

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you, it would be a cool project but as PEI330 said it would be crazy expensive.
And it looks to me like you are trying to save money by holding onto your TS2. Saving money and doing something that has never been done doesn't mix.

You can have >400whp wagon by buying b30 crank, TS3 internals and FI cams. That's about $8K.
You could sell your SC (3-4K maybe?) and put the money towards a good turbo setup. But to make more power than TS3 you will need to upgrade the internals as well so the total cost would be likely even more.