E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
m111

My Ride: nissan skyline
e46 M3 reliability

first off Hello from Australia im sorry if this is posted in the wrong section or if its been asked before. its a big fkn forum!

anyway

im currently selling my nissan skyline r34 gt-t and looking at upgrading to something European/German. topping my list are the e46 m3 with an SMG transmission or a Audi B6 S4 with the 6 speed manual. i'm currently leaning more towards the M3.

i've been reading a fair bit of negative feedback about the SMG which is a shame coz i'd prefer it over the manual.

my question is, how reliable is the M3/SMG if:

1. is used mostly as a weekender - so about 350 Kilometers per week which consists of urban/highways/freeways and a spirited mountain run once every week or fortnight

2. is serviced every 5000 kilometers or less with the appropriate oils

3. will never be tracked or abused

i'll be doing all the maintenance work myself. i dont trust anyone with my cars.

thanks in advance
m111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
invictus

My Ride: M3, 749R, SV650
My SMG M3 is my daily driver, about 15,000 miles a year including 12 track days (this year alone). Bought car with 40k miles now passing 74k.

I'm running between 3000 and 7500 miles between oil changes, depending on how hard I beat on it.

I've had zero issues other than bending some suspension components.

Do it.

CCW. Dunlop. Ground Control. StopTech. Hawk. Vorschlag. Rogue Engineering. Recaro. TCDesign. RaceTech. VAC. Motul. Vorsteiner.
Find me on track: 10/19-21 Sonoma Speedway // 11/10-11 Thunderhill
The story so far...

Fund my track car:

PM me about my: stock diffuser, stock trunk
WTB 1x Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 265/35/18 (used is okay)
invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
YeA e46

My Ride: Lexus SC300
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
My SMG M3 is my daily driver, about 15,000 miles a year including 12 track days (this year alone). Bought car with 40k miles now passing 74k.

I'm running between 3000 and 7500 miles between oil changes, depending on how hard I beat on it.

I've had zero issues other than bending some suspension components.

Do it.
what year is ur car and do you have mods ? I am in the same boat as the op
YeA e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
why would you prefer the SMG over the 6MT?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
soulchild

My Ride: 00' Civic si (DD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Not this again! lets try and keep the debate out of this thread.

So anyways.... I have 115,000 miles on my 02' SMG w/ no problem.
soulchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
invictus

My Ride: M3, 749R, SV650
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeA e46 View Post
what year is ur car and do you have mods ? I am in the same boat as the op

Umnitza Predator Auroras + remote trigger
Umnitza LED plate lights
ebay JDM tyte yellow fogs
OEM rear LED tails

Dice MediaBridge

Rouge Engineering El Diablo lightweight exhaust, burnt TI tips

GroundControl TrackSchool Coilovers
Eibach springs 525 front 650 rear
Koni Yellow D/A front S/A rear
Vorschlag stud conversion 75mm front 90 mm rear
OEM front strut brace
Bavarian Motorsport strut brace bolts

Stoptech Powerslot rotors (OEM sizing)
Stoptech 309 pads (street)
Hawk HP-10 (track)
Stoptech braided steel lines
Motul RBF-600

Painted front reflectors
ARCH Industries CF defuser

Schroth Ralleye Quickfit Pro 4 point harnesses

Street Wheels:
Hamann HM2 19x8.5 with 12mm spacer, effective ET - 26 (front)
Hamann HM2 19x.10 with 17.5mm spacer, effective ET - 10 (rear)
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 245/35/19 285/30/19

Track Wheels:
Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 ET - 35 (square)
Toyo Proxes RA-1 r-comps

CCW. Dunlop. Ground Control. StopTech. Hawk. Vorschlag. Rogue Engineering. Recaro. TCDesign. RaceTech. VAC. Motul. Vorsteiner.
Find me on track: 10/19-21 Sonoma Speedway // 11/10-11 Thunderhill
The story so far...

Fund my track car:

PM me about my: stock diffuser, stock trunk
WTB 1x Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 265/35/18 (used is okay)
invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
SMG is less reliable than 6 speed. Do a search of the forums for stories of what and how many SMG owners have had issues. If reliability is your priority - SMG has had increasing issues over the years. Yes - the accounts you have read are real. Look at the detailed maintenance records of any car you consider buying. If it isn't on paper - it never happened. Look at the mileage when the important 1,200 mile fluid service was done. That should no more than +- 200 miles. More than that is an indicator how the car was broken in (BMW had an engine break-in procedure).

Get a PPI and see and drive any car BEFORE buying.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
m111

good to read some positive feedback about them for a change lol

Alan - i'll be making sure to do a proper inspection on the whole car before buying. im not one to skip on little details/imperfections specially when im about to hand over 40-50 grand (australian)

i know it will never be as reliable as my nissan but then again its on a completely different league. look after it and it'll look after you, is this not the case with the SMG? i mean things dont just break for no reason...do they

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
ive always had a thing for sequentials/clutchless manuals. it just suits my driving style better and im bored of manual.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
m111

i should've also mentioned that there will be NO modding (apart from rims/cosmetics)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
bmxpert86

My Ride: e46 TiAg ///M3
It will deffinatly be as reliable as your Nissan, my /// M is the
Most reliable car I have ever owned. Don't get smg, auto mode is like driving with someone that can't shift and the pump can fail making it less reliable. The e46 m3 is hands down the most fun, enjoyable car I have driven, some are ten years old and hold their own against more modern rides, it's truly timeless. Don't get an Audi, won't satisfy you. GL hope you join the game.

Last edited by bmxpert86; 01-11-2011 at 04:02 AM.
bmxpert86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #11
johnm

My Ride: TiAg M3
Don't listen to any of the crap about SMG, especially from the yanks. If you want it go for it. Most of the nonsense written about the unreliability of SMG is as a direct result of ignorance and incompetance. Most SMG faults either aren't- ie a car problem is presented as an SMG problem out of ignorance, or the actual fault bears no resemblance to the diagnosis, through incompetent diagnosis.

Just be aware that it'll probably take a few hours of practice to begin to learn how to drive the SMG smoothly, and you'll find you'll enjoy the process of learning even more as you learn more about it.

Go for it, you'll love it.

Cheers
JM
Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 AM   #12
Boosted_ZHP

My Ride: 88 325
Send a message via AIM to Boosted_ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
Don't listen to any of the crap about SMG, especially from the yanks. If you want it go for it. Most of the nonsense written about the unreliability of SMG is as a direct result of ignorance and incompetance. Most SMG faults either aren't- ie a car problem is presented as an SMG problem out of ignorance, or the actual fault bears no resemblance to the diagnosis, through incompetent diagnosis.

Just be aware that it'll probably take a few hours of practice to begin to learn how to drive the SMG smoothly, and you'll find you'll enjoy the process of learning even more as you learn more about it.

Cheers
JM

If you say so
Old 01-11-2011, 04:16 AM   #13
bmxpert86

My Ride: e46 TiAg ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_ZHP View Post
If you say so
Ditto, all I can say is it's one more bill IF it fails, not saying it will but if it does that's a hefty bill to swallow. I have driven smg many times and it's a cool feature but I'll stick to a third petal that I control. Plus auto mode is horrid, so why not just get a manual if the reason you want smg is the option of auto but auto mode sucks. I was dead set on smg until I used one for a week. I wanted to have a car that my girl could use if absolutely needed, instead had fun teaching my girl to master manual, and now she wants her next car to be stick and begs me to drive the ///M. You see many ///M owners selling their smg for 6MT not the opposite. GL sir and get what you desire, just wanted to throw in my 0.02 cents, the majority would agree, no matter what you choose, you'll have a blast.

Last edited by bmxpert86; 01-11-2011 at 04:20 AM.
bmxpert86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:

Cheers
JM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
"They". Again with this idea that white people are a singular organism with a single will.

Individuals make choices and take actions. Sometimes their race informs their choices and actions, sometimes it does not.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
dbiker207

My Ride: dakar yellow e46 m3
Quote:

Cheers
JM
you sir sound like the ignorant/incompetent one...
dbiker207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
jagLacs

My Ride: M3
Quote:

Cheers
JM
...incompetEnce, make sure you know how to spell the word before its use, especially this one
Old 01-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:

Cheers
JM

So all of the SMG pump failures are caused by ignorance and incompetence? Sure Skippy.

How do you manage to get through doorways with that inflated head?

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #18
SIMPS

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagLacs View Post
...incompetEnce, make sure you know how to spell the word before its use, especially this one

I have a 6MT and love every second I spend driving it

//HPF Stage 2 / HPF Clutch, Sub Frame Reinforcements, Ti Exhaust, RTABs / Stop Tech 15" Front 14" Back Slotted / Bilstein PSS10 / VMR V713 / Bridgestone RE11 / Vorsteiner / Alpine
SIMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #19
Pive2001

My Ride: 04' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxpert86 View Post
Ditto, all I can say is it's one more bill IF it fails, not saying it will but if it does that's a hefty bill to swallow. I have driven smg many times and it's a cool feature but I'll stick to a third petal that I control. Plus auto mode is horrid, so why not just get a manual if the reason you want smg is the option of auto but auto mode sucks. I was dead set on smg until I used one for a week. I wanted to have a car that my girl could use if absolutely needed, instead had fun teaching my girl to master manual, and now she wants her next car to be stick and begs me to drive the ///M. You see many ///M owners selling their smg for 6MT not the opposite. GL sir and get what you desire, just wanted to throw in my 0.02 cents, the majority would agree, no matter what you choose, you'll have a blast.
What a nice guy, my girlfriends walking before she touches the M lol.
Pive2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
ShredM

My Ride: BMW e46 M3
Quote:
What a nice guy, my girlfriends walking before she touches the M lol.
HA! That's the truth.
ShredM is offline   Reply With Quote