E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
doppelganger325

My Ride: '03 325 Ci
Possible fan clutch failure?

Plz help me all!!! after doing a repair when my 325ci locked up an idler bearing, my car keeps overheating...this last time doing the coolant bleed it ran for at least 45 minutes at operating temp with some random holds at 2000 rpms. I was concerned that my electric fan in front of the radiator was bad but this time it came on, but only for short 15 second bursts or so...beginning, it had no hot air coming from the vents inside the car even though it was definitely at operating temp ( 12 o'clock on the temp guage). but it finally warmed up and help for at least another 25 or 35 minutes before overheating. i performed the newspaper fan clutch test numerous times after the car was up to temp and every time it stopped with the paper. Would a bad fan clutch that will not fully engage cause the overheating even if the auxillary fan still tries to engage? I have been checking all relavent posts that i could search for but have not come across anything that told me exactly what is going on, so if this has been addressed before, I apologize sincerely. When the car lost the idler pulley, belts jumped off, lost power steering, and alternator, and my coolant dumped out, I assume, from my reservoir. Trying to diagnose, I replaced a cracked reservoir, was going to replace the water pump, since it seemed that it was the culprit, but OEMBIMMERPARTS sent me the wrong parts. The numbers dont even match up...lol. But I think the pump is working good enough to not overheat at idle. So, my question is, can a failed fan clutch cause my problems? And why does the auxillary not compensate for the failure? Oh, my car is 325ci 2003 m54...and I also found a shattered transmission cooler thermostat, but i hear they are prone to failure. Running without that thermostat would not cause overheating from the engine would it? Well, thanks in advance for your time with this issue.
doppelganger325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Old 12-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
doppelganger325

the car isnt throwing codes...its just getting up past and over operating temp
Old 12-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
afstud

My Ride: 02 & 04 325xi sports
Running without the trans therm will not cause any engine overheating... it only controls the coolant to the transmission, i ran my old e46 without one for a long time and had no problems.... your problem sounds like a bad fan clutch

02' 325i sport/premium pkgs zhp wheels & shift knob, euro clears, painted lip, Eonon Nav unit.

Last edited by afstud; 12-05-2012 at 12:42 AM.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
My fan clutch was toast on my e46 when I bought it and it never overheated. Had no idea it was bad for like the first year I owned it.

Last edited by SpoonerDee; 12-05-2012 at 07:46 AM.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
What parts have you replaced exactly?
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
doppelganger325

I replaced the water pump, tstat(main), tank, and some pulleys..I can't afford to replace the complete system...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App
Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger325 View Post
I replaced the water pump, tstat(main), tank, and some pulleys..I can't afford to replace the complete system...

Sounds like you should sell your car and pick up so cheaper to maintain
Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto, 157k
Try to make your posts shorter and get straight to the point.

Now the general rule of thumb is if you spin the fan by hand and it has no resistance and makes more then half a turn, chances are it's no good. You could be overheating for other reasons as well. Thermostat, water pump, still air in the system. I found it can be quite a bitch to bleed these cars. At least my car is like that.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
doppelganger325

Lol ok will do that was my very first post and I wanted to make sure I covered everything...Thanx all, I'm trying to locate a fan clutch currently...I'll keep you informed