E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
DTen

My Ride: 2000 323i
2000 323i Radiator/Tank Issues

Hey All-

First time posting something, but I'm having a major issue with my 323i radiator tank. A few weeks ago I was driving home and noticed my radiator light come on and my gauge shoot straight to red. I pulled over put some water in it, but the tank had a huge split down the side. So I had my car towed.

I ordered a new tank, but when I replaced it, used the same cap, and I noticed some broken plastic pieces fell out. I'm assuming this was just part of the inside of the old tank. I filled up the new tank, tightened the venting screw, and turned the car on with the heat blasting. Around the time the car gets to normal temperature steam starts shooting out the venting screw and the cap of the tank. I loosen the screw, but I continue to get steam shooting out of it for a few minutes. I then noticed that the tank is heavily leaking fluid out the bottom. I'm assuming that pressure is just building up and forcing the fluid out. Am I right? This even happens when I take the venting screw completely off.

I need some help knowing if I'm doing something wrong or if I need to replace something else.

Thanks!
DTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
First, do Not reuse old plastic parts from failed component(s). Always get a new cap with new expansion tank.
2. Do you have an manual or automatic?
3. What brand of expansion tank did you purchase (or where did you buy it)?

Lastly, did you remember to bleed the cooling system immediately after your exp.tank replacement? This step is critical and must be done properly to prevent random overheating problems.

NOTE:
DO NOT drive your vehicle in this state currently.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
DTen

Thanks for the quick reply!

It's an automatic. The tank is a Behr that I bought from bavauto.com. I'm assuming that I should purchase the Behr cap to start with, huh? Or should I just fork over the extra money and purchase the official BMW tank and cap?

I bled the system by letting the fluid drain from the bottom where the blue screw is located. Is there anything else that I need to do to bleed it?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
I'm a little concerned with the fluid coming out of the bottom of the expansion tank, it leads me to believe that you didn't properly seat the new tank in the housing... Please make sure that the new tank is seated in the housing and that the clip that holds it in place is holding the new tank.
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
it too sounds to me the new expansion tank is not seated to the lower radiator connection fully.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
DTen

I'll double check the seal on the bottom of the tank. I did look at where its leaking though and its coming from where the fluid level sender is located on the bottom. So I'm not sure if there's too much pressure in the tank and that may be a pressure release point? I've heard that if there's too much fluid in the tank that the tank will leak at certain points like that.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
TurnersInOz

My Ride: 2004 325i
Most likely it'll be coming from the connection for the trans thermostat. This is also a common point for leaks when the t-stat is not replaced.

The level sensor does not sit directly in coolant, it is a reed switch with a floating magnet inside the tank.

When you are seating the ET, make sure the spring clip on the bottom of the tank is pulled out before you seat the tank. This is also a bit easier with a small amount of coolant on the o-rings to lubricate them.

When you are bleeding the system, the bleed screw is removed with the heat to maximum, the fan at the lowest setting with the key in the on position and the engine off. Add coolant until it comes out the bleed screw with zero air bubbles. Once you have this, remove the extra coolant from the ET until the level is correct.

The blue screw you refer to is for draining only. This is not used to bleed the system.
TurnersInOz is offline   Reply With Quote