E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #21
ATU2010

My Ride: Blacked 2004 ZHP
Hmmmm..........
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Pick your short term (6 months or less goal). To add size and mass, or to cut and see your abs. You can try and do both, but I bet you just spin your tires. It takes a very dedicated and educated individual to achieve both in the same period of time (and sometimes that's not even enough).

Make sure you are including deadlifts and squats in your routine. These are crucial to developing a solid core, in my opinion more so than crunches etc.

If you asked me, I would suggest you continue adding strength and eating the way you are. You say you are adding strength each week, so it is working. Continue to monitor progress, and lift heavy and make sure to include the big 3 (bench/deadlift/squat) in your routine.

If you are interested in cutting to a 6 pack (your strength / muscle gains will come to a halt) then just say so. However it will be a much more painful process than if you continue to add size for a few more months then cut down.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
you need to do sit ups and alot of them to get the 6 pack you desire. a few years ago i started with 25 sit ups every morning when i woke up and increased 1 per day and i hit like 115 sit ups every morning and i kept that up for a while 2 or 3 months. let me tell you, that's the way to get cut
This is absolutely horrible advice. Visible abs are made from low body fat in combination of low-moderate carb intake.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
This is absolutely horrible advice. Visible abs are made from low body fat in combination of low-moderate carb intake.

this line "let me tell you, that's the way to get cut" is priceless
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #25
ATU2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Pick your short term (6 months or less goal). To add size and mass, or to cut and see your abs. You can try and do both, but I bet you just spin your tires. It takes a very dedicated and educated individual to achieve both in the same period of time (and sometimes that's not even enough).

Make sure you are including deadlifts and squats in your routine. These are crucial to developing a solid core, in my opinion more so than crunches etc.

If you asked me, I would suggest you continue adding strength and eating the way you are. You say you are adding strength each week, so it is working. Continue to monitor progress, and lift heavy and make sure to include the big 3 (bench/deadlift/squat) in your routine.
Plan is to try and reach 190 by January 1st. So about 2 pounds a week. Prolly unrealistic but rather my goal be too high than too low. After that I plan to just work on cutting until Feb... Too short of a cut period you think?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #26
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATU2010 View Post
Plan is to try and reach 190 by January 1st. So about 2 pounds a week. Prolly unrealistic but rather my goal be too high than too low. After that I plan to just work on cutting until Feb... Too short of a cut period you think?
I think that is way too aggressive of a bulk in my opinion, especially considering you are looking to make your midsection look better. A gain of a lb a week is still "aggressive" in bulk terms, and would come from eating ~500 calories over what you burn in a given day (metabolism + exercise), each day for a week.

Realistically, gaining a lb of muscle in a month is good progress. This would be equivalent to about 3-4 lbs of weight gain (if you are training and eating properly). Hopefully of that 3-4 lbs, 1 lb would be muscle, 1 lb would be fat, and rest due to water weight / fluctuations.

I also wanted a better looking midsection, but I made the choice (when persuaded by guys on here) to continue to increase my strength, when all I wanted to do was cut down. Using compound lifts that tax the core + additional ab work while eating properly, and a lot, will do more for your visual results than cutting will I believe. Build up a more solid foundation, then cut. You'll have more impressive abs, and you'll also be able to cut the weight easier with the additional mass.

The cutting period will be however long it takes to get down to ~10% or lower body fat levels. You should be aiming for 1-2 lbs of fat loss a week, most guys can go from a 15% to 10% in 12-15 weeks, with strict discipline.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
Charlescrs6

My Ride: E46 M3 Convertible
You need to squat and DL. Also agree with dabears about the above.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
ATU2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescrs6 View Post
You need to squat and DL. Also agree with dabears about the above.
I do both of these and/or front squats as well on leg days
Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
Charlescrs6

Quote:
What are your squat/DL #s? I only saw leg press in the OP,
Old 12-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
dabears

Quote:
Please give an example of you rep ranges / weights used
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #31
ATU2010

Half mile run 8mph

Front Squats 135 x 10
Front Squats 185 x 8
Front Squats 225 x 4

Dead Lift 180 x 10
Dead Lift 230 x 6
Dead Lift 270 x 5
Dead Lift 270 x 5
Dead Lift 270 x 5

Seated Calf Raises 180 x 50
Seated Calf Raises 225 x 35
Seated Calf Raises 270 x 35

20 min jog at 5 mph
2 min walk at 2.5 mph

I also do shoulders on my legs day so this isn't exactly back to back. Also alter dead lift for back squats. I fell into the no lower body workout trend after my hernia surgeries a few years ago so just now getting back into legs recently
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #32
ATU2010

Ok anyone else try to hold a tape still while photographing yourself...? Is there a fvcking secret to this?!? Just spent ten minutes on three pic try to keep the tape still. Finally gave up and these were the best. Just to justify my previous post of size

After seeing some of y'all's progress thread I figured it would be more appropriate to post pic of it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354682219.664940.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	480951   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354682256.159251.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	480952   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354682336.358805.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	480953  
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #33
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
choice nips my bro, I am aroused.

Last edited by B_Cyrus; 12-04-2012 at 11:02 PM.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #34
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
you need to do sit ups and alot of them to get the 6 pack you desire. a few years ago i started with 25 sit ups every morning when i woke up and increased 1 per day and i hit like 115 sit ups every morning and i kept that up for a while 2 or 3 months. let me tell you, that's the way to get cut
i hate calling people stupid, but....
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #35
Charlescrs6

Quote:
I fell into the no lower body workout trend after my hernia surgeries a few years ago so just now getting back into legs recently
I'd say that is why. Keep up with the Squats and DLs and you will notice a difference in your core.

Low carbs, too, IMO.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #36
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #37
ATU2010

Ok I use wrist straps quite often. Mainly just to have the strap between my hands and bars (loose around my wrist). Past three or so days my wrist has been hurting like hell. Started while doing front squads. And definitely feeling it during curls. Maybe wrist wraps or athletic tape for a few days? Opinions please...
Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #38
Tiag46

My Ride: e46
Cant believe no one has asked:
What are your macros?
What are your maintenance calories?

If you're consistently eating below maintenance you WILL drop bodyfat, therefore making abs more visible. Thats all there is to it.

Last edited by Tiag46; 12-06-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Tiag46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #39
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Ok I use wrist straps quite often. Mainly just to have the strap between my hands and bars (loose around my wrist). Past three or so days my wrist has been hurting like hell. Started while doing front squads. And definitely feeling it during curls. Maybe wrist wraps or athletic tape for a few days? Opinions please...
Opinions? Stop using them. You probably look like an idiot.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #40
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean320ci View Post
Cant believe no one has asked:
What are your macros?
What are your maintenance calories?

If you're consistently eating below maintenance you WILL drop bodyfat, therefore making abs more visible. Thats all there is to it.
I've already mentioned it, and don't use straps, you need to work on your grip!