E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #61
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 897
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
You ****ing traitor.
I know. I hear it from the family on most holidays when I'm drinking my diet coke.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #62
someguy_99
Registered User
 
someguy_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tdot Oh
Posts: 342
My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Angry? Hardly. Just find it funny that some pissant has his panties in a wad when he is presented with information that he doesn't like.
Give me one source, where you got any of those numbers from which i asked for. JUST ONE

And you seemed like you got mad, why so mad bro
__________________

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #63
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 953
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstar View Post
just for clarification forged aluminium is what most custom wheels are made from now correct?
Most aluminum alloy wheels are cast.

Forging in it's many forms generally produces a stronger wheel, but is considerably more expensive. Very few OEM wheels are forged, most are cast. But the OEMs have the technology, design resources and buying power (volume) to build/have built some seriously strong cast wheels. Additionally, an OEM wheel that's 2 lbs lighter but costs 25% more than a cast wheel is unlikely to sell any additional vehicles for the mfg. Car customers that are so fanatical about wheel weights are likely to put aftermarket stuff on their car, anyway. This applies to mass market cars, discussion about niche cars obviously skews the compromises the OEMs are willing to make.

The higher quality aftermarket wheels are generally forged, or at least have a forged center. But from a volume point of view, most aftermarket wheels are cast, as well.




But regardless, at 22.5", you're obviously talking about medium- and heavy-duty trucks and trailers.

I think the first question you should consider is "why isn't anyone doing this already?".

You're being too vague about the vehicle/fleet/application you see an opportunity in for us to get into specifics. But just for giggles, lets say you see a fleet of Freightliner medium duty trucks and want to sell the fleet owner wheels for his trucks. You have to ask why Freightliner and/or the fleet owner haven't contacted Alcoa directly. Is there a technical reason or a financial reason why it doesn't make sense? Or have they just not thought of it, or aren't willing to do the grunt work on it?

It could be that you've discovered an opportunity that no one's tackled yet. But since you lack the technical expertise and the industry experience to evaluate how implementable your idea is, at some point you're going to have to lay all your cards on the table with someone that can crunch the engineering and financial numbers to see if your idea makes sense.

I sold a lot of light truck and car wheels over the years. Medium and heavy trucks were not my segment at all. However, based on my limited knowledge, almost all m/h truck wheels are steel, some are aluminum alloy. I've never heard of a magnesium alloy m/h truck wheel. For that matter, I've never even heard of a light truck magnesium alloy wheel.

It's possible the entire wheel industry is just missing a terrific opportunity to build and sell mag wheels for trucks (light truck on up). But you should seriously consider the possibility that the reason no one is building and selling magnesium alloy wheels is that it's just a really bad material to use in building wheels for heavy vehicles.
__________________
----------------------------------------------
What was the best thing before sliced bread?
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #64
bon3z
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 34
My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post

It's possible the entire wheel industry is just missing a terrific opportunity to build and sell mag wheels for trucks (light truck on up). But you should seriously consider the possibility that the reason no one is building and selling magnesium alloy wheels is that it's just a really bad material to use in building wheels for heavy vehicles.
you quit with your sound and well put logic sir. that's not what this thread is about.
bon3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #65
sea6speed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 1,450
My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Raw aluminum alloy costs about $0.95/lb on the spot market. That doesn't include shipping. You're probably talking at least 25 lbs for a 22" wheel. I don't see how anyone could build you a rim for $45 when the raw material costs about half of that.
He's having bums collect coke cans off the side of the road to keep it in budget.


This is just stupid. Anyone that can't even figure out raw material cost is NOT going to be able to design, fabricate and sell a 25lb 22" wheel that you can actually drive on.

Someone is stoned. "Dude, if I can find a company to fabricate and ship custom wheels for less than the cost of materials, I can make BANK!"
__________________

Last edited by sea6speed; 12-04-2012 at 03:47 PM.
sea6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #66
someguy_99
Registered User
 
someguy_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tdot Oh
Posts: 342
My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Most aluminum alloy wheels are cast.

Forging in it's many forms generally produces a stronger wheel, but is considerably more expensive. Very few OEM wheels are forged, most are cast. But the OEMs have the technology, design resources and buying power (volume) to build/have built some seriously strong cast wheels. Additionally, an OEM wheel that's 2 lbs lighter but costs 25% more than a cast wheel is unlikely to sell any additional vehicles for the mfg. Car customers that are so fanatical about wheel weights are likely to put aftermarket stuff on their car, anyway. This applies to mass market cars, discussion about niche cars obviously skews the compromises the OEMs are willing to make.

The higher quality aftermarket wheels are generally forged, or at least have a forged center. But from a volume point of view, most aftermarket wheels are cast, as well.




But regardless, at 22.5", you're obviously talking about medium- and heavy-duty trucks and trailers.

I think the first question you should consider is "why isn't anyone doing this already?".

You're being too vague about the vehicle/fleet/application you see an opportunity in for us to get into specifics. But just for giggles, lets say you see a fleet of Freightliner medium duty trucks and want to sell the fleet owner wheels for his trucks. You have to ask why Freightliner and/or the fleet owner haven't contacted Alcoa directly. Is there a technical reason or a financial reason why it doesn't make sense? Or have they just not thought of it, or aren't willing to do the grunt work on it?

It could be that you've discovered an opportunity that no one's tackled yet. But since you lack the technical expertise and the industry experience to evaluate how implementable your idea is, at some point you're going to have to lay all your cards on the table with someone that can crunch the engineering and financial numbers to see if your idea makes sense.

I sold a lot of light truck and car wheels over the years. Medium and heavy trucks were not my segment at all. However, based on my limited knowledge, almost all m/h truck wheels are steel, some are aluminum alloy. I've never heard of a magnesium alloy m/h truck wheel. For that matter, I've never even heard of a light truck magnesium alloy wheel.

It's possible the entire wheel industry is just missing a terrific opportunity to build and sell mag wheels for trucks (light truck on up). But you should seriously consider the possibility that the reason no one is building and selling magnesium alloy wheels is that it's just a really bad material to use in building wheels for heavy vehicles.

THIS. sir a thousands thanks wouldnt be enough. Well put my good sir. This is what i was looking for when i started this thread, People like this to come out and post something.
__________________

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #67
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
He's having bums collect coke cans off the side of the road to keep it in budget.


This is just stupid. Anyone that can't even figure out raw material cost is NOT going to be able to design, fabricate and sell a 25lb 22" wheel that you can actually drive on.

Someone is stoned. "Dude, if I can find a company to fabricate and ship custom wheels for less than the cost of materials, I can make BANK!"
I did not expect anything less from OP
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #68
someguy_99
Registered User
 
someguy_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tdot Oh
Posts: 342
My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
I did not expect anything less from OP
I love how that one number just destroyed peoples ability to think. Even while typing it out I thought * hey this is E46F be careful $45 is a really really really stupid number to post* next time ill trust my gut.

Well was this thread a fail, sort of but anything that could positive influence, but lol NFR wow 22"inch is the standard just made want to block your non-sense for good

/End thread.
__________________

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #69
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,302
My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
Also, im pretty sure if im driving along and my wheel falls apart some asshole will be liable. I know you can go out and buy a replica wheel for dirt cheap but if they are a LEGIT company there going to use industry standards. Or they might get sued up the ass for making a inferior or even dangerous product.
No they won't, that's why 99% of aftermarket say for offroad use only... we are not liable... blah blah blah.

And some wheels are approved by certain regulatory bodies like the TUV, but a vast majority of wheels are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
You ****ing traitor.
What is your general line of work? Clearly you know a thing or two about automotive regulations, so this is a srs question. I'm curious.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
here today, gone tomm

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #70
brew
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 339
My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
Well was this thread a fail, sort of but anything that could positive influence, but lol NFR wow 22"inch is the standard just made want to block your non-sense for good

/End thread.
Are you on drugs?
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #71
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
I love how that one number just destroyed peoples ability to think. Even while typing it out I thought * hey this is E46F be careful $45 is a really really really stupid number to post* next time ill trust my gut.

Well was this thread a fail, sort of but anything that could positive influence, but lol NFR wow 22"inch is the standard just made want to block your non-sense for good

/End thread.
Not surprised OP is defending OP
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #72
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 897
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
I love how that one number just destroyed peoples ability to think. Even while typing it out I thought * hey this is E46F be careful $45 is a really really really stupid number to post* next time ill trust my gut.

Well was this thread a fail, sort of but anything that could positive influence, but lol NFR wow 22"inch is the standard just made want to block your non-sense for good

/End thread.
I said the standard was a 22.5" rim, not a 22" rim.

Quote:
the standard for a truck wheel is 22.5", not 22.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-04-2012 at 05:53 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #73
someguy_99
Registered User
 
someguy_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tdot Oh
Posts: 342
My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I said the standard was a 22.5" rim, not a 22" rim.
Whats your point , why did you edit this
__________________

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #74
someguy_99
Registered User
 
someguy_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tdot Oh
Posts: 342
My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Oh last thing, I found a supplier...not at $45 lol but puts me in business. So NFR you can run a restraurant while I can sit back and make what you make in year in two days.

I think the opening of this song is appropriate

Yellow model chick
Yellow bottle sippin
Yellow Lamborghini
Yellow top missin
Yeah yeah
That **** look like a toupee

I get what you get in 10 years, in two days.
__________________

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #75
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 897
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
Oh last thing, I found a supplier...not at $45 lol but puts me in business. So NFR you can run a restraurant while I can sit back and make what you make in year in two days.

I think the opening of this song is appropriate

Yellow model chick
Yellow bottle sippin
Yellow Lamborghini
Yellow top missin
Yeah yeah
That **** look like a toupee

I get what you get in 10 years, in two days.
You're a funny kid. Go ahead and make yo papah booboo.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #76
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 850
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
Oh last thing, I found a supplier...not at $45 lol but puts me in business. So NFR you can run a restraurant while I can sit back and make what you make in year in two days.


I get what you get in 10 years, in two days.
This thread delivers the lulz.
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #77
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,060
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
Oh last thing, I found a supplier...not at $45 lol but puts me in business. So NFR you can run a restraurant while I can sit back and make what you make in year in two days.

I think the opening of this song is appropriate

Yellow model chick
Yellow bottle sippin
Yellow Lamborghini
Yellow top missin
Yeah yeah
That **** look like a toupee

I get what you get in 10 years, in two days.

your e-penis must have just grown by x10 for this.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #78
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
your e-penis must have just grown by x10 for this.
Any number multiplied by zero is still zero.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #79
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,060
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Any number multiplied by zero is still zero.
zing!
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #80
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,519
My Ride: reclining rear seats
I'll believe the business succeeded when I see the OP asking about high end cars that I can't afford and posting pics to prove his purchase.

Until then it is just a plan on a piece of paper, if he even has that done. Best of luck.

BTW, what was the price you were quoted per mag wheel? If it wasn't $45, I'm curious to know what it was.
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use