E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
red battery light;help?

It just so happened that I was driving today and randomly my red battery light came on. It was not a steady red light, it went on and off. It depended on how many rpms the car was at. At a stop, the light would be off. Its on and off.

What would be the solution to my problem? I know this issue has been discussed but I never got a specific answer.

EDIT***
my OBC is playing games with me. I was at 12.3 volts with the car off, when I started it, it struggled for a milisecond to turn on but it started. The voltage went to 11.9-12.2 at idle. I tried this twice with the same symptoms. (low voltage when on, and slight struggle to start. No battery light was on at idle. While making this video, it seemed to go back to normal again. Something is going bad but dont know what it is. My voltage is not constant just like my battery light.
The belts are fine, everything seems to be in tact under the hood.

Last edited by zhenkaaaM3; 11-29-2011 at 10:55 PM.
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
jcns

My Ride: California
likely your alternator on its way out or battery.
get a voltmeter and check the battery volts (at the battery terminals). With the car running, you should see at least 14V, if not, you have a problem
Let the car sit a few hrs and check the voltage on the battery with the car off; you should see about 12V.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
zhenkaaaM3

Well if I'm not seeing 14v, what exactly is my problem? Alternator is bad?

Ill check voltage tomorrow morning. If its 12, then my alternator is fine? And if the battery is below 12, then my battery is bad?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
If it's below ~13.5V while running, most likely your alternator is bad. Battery should be above ~12 when the car is not running.
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
zhenkaaaM3

I checked the car, it was 13.2v while on, and after driven for 30minutes. Going to 1 location, and then back. When I turned the car off, it dropped down to 12.4. The battery light was not on at all when I was already driving back.

How can I check if its definently my alternator? could it just be a bad voltage regulator?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Ok, a good alternator will put out anywhere from 13 to 14 volts and can be measured (and best measured) at the output stud of the alternator (the big, heavy, red cable). If you get a reading lower than 13 volts, even at idle, there are several main things to look at; make sure the cable at the alternator is both clean and tight, make sure that the battery ground and battery positive are also clean and tight, check the belt to make sure that it isn't too loose or ready to come apart. If these things are all good, have your battery load tested, a load test will tell you if there 2 bad cells (cells that are partly or completely shorted out), therefore not holding 12 to 12.5 volts. If the load test is good, then its time to have the alternator tested, common cause of an alternator not working correctly is that the brushes and/or voltage regulator is bad (in most cases, the brushes are worn and not contacting the stator shaft completely if at all) . If its a Bosch alternator, you can get the voltage regulator/brush kit and "rebuild" the alternator in less than 30 minutes (a couple of screws), however, if the bearings of the alternator are worn or making noise, better to opt for a new or re-built unit (generally the bearings are good and it only needs new brushes).
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
aeorozco

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via Yahoo to aeorozco
Not to jack this thread OP, But I have a similiar issue in my 00 323i, My issue is that my battery light (Red) comes on when ever I run my rear defroster, and as soon as I turn it off the battery light goes back off, I have never had it come on any other time then when ever I put my R defrost on.......Ideas?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Need to check the same things, could well be that the alternator isn't putting out 13 or more volts and when you turn the rear defogger on, instead of the alternator suppling the current/voltage, the battery has to help. When the car is running, the alternators job is to power everything and still put voltage back into the battery so that the next time you go to start the car, the starter motor will crank and the computer will fire.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
zhenkaaaM3

bump
Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
dude, it's your alternator. My car did the same thing and I replaced it and wham bam thank you ma'am it was good to go.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #11
zhenkaaaM3

damnit I was really hoping it wasnt. I was hoping for a voltage regulator to do the job.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Weird thing about alternators.. When they go out, the alternator part doesn't actually break. The rectifier is the usual part that burns out, not the windings. Replacement parts for the rectifier are dirt cheap. Its amazing they can cost soo much.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Alternator. Output when car is running should be 13.7V to 14.2V. You can take it out and have it checked at Autozone.

Buy a rebuild Bosch at Autohausaz for $193 with free shipping. Comes with 2 year roadside assistance.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
zhenkaaaM3

Yea, thats true. But a bad voltage regulator could be causing the output not to reach 13.7 to 14.2v as well, no? I see people replacing voltage regulators and saving themselves $100. This might not be my case.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Try removing and cleaning the VR, perhaps it will help. Usually the alternator will fail completely, ie. not provide any voltage/current. It could be on the verge of failure, though.
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Yes, it could be a bad VR. The VR is the electronics part of the alternator. I would spend a little more and just replace the whole alternator. I know from doing some work that you have to go in again and redo it because it breaks again or something else in it breaks. Don't buy aftermarket Precision China made radiators. They do not work and the replacements are even worse. You can spend over $200 for a VR and then replace the Alternator for $193 and not have to worry about the bearings going bad.

Take a look at this thread about VR and Alternator http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=886274

If you have a 2001+ alternator, then your VR will only cost $59.

Please tell us what fixes your problem.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #17
PRDesignsTony

My Ride: 02 330ci
hmmm my battery light is always on lol, it never goes away, its been on ever since i bought the car, I've put thousands on the car since i got it and i've had no issues. Can't be my alt or my battery, i think its a loose wire somewhere :/

Stretch + poke = All show, no go!!!
PRDesignsTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Apparently, the Bosch alternators come with either a round or rectangular plug. Any clue on how to determine which one? I know...just look but its not the easy. I have a bunch of S/C stuff there and it will be a minor PIA to remove just to see the plug.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
ex46static

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeorozco View Post
Not to jack this thread OP, But I have a similiar issue in my 00 323i, My issue is that my battery light (Red) comes on when ever I run my rear defroster, and as soon as I turn it off the battery light goes back off, I have never had it come on any other time then when ever I put my R defrost on.......Ideas?
aeorozco did you resolve this problem? i have the same issue. whenever i turn on rear defrost, my battery light illuminates red.
ex46static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
BMWCaptain

I dont understand all the folks that ask for advise and then never come back to tell us what solved the problem.

It is ashamed that it is not a two way street. Are people that selfish that they only want a solution for themselves, but dont want to contribute?

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 12-17-2012 at 03:30 PM.