E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
sconner

My Ride: 2009 Passat
Unhappy Electrical is going crazy!

I think I have figured this out by searching the forum, but I would like some confirmation.

I left work to drive home the other day and all of my door locks go crazy. This comes and goes for the next few times I drive the car.
My best guess is GM5 module?
The same evening about the third time I drive the car my flashers start flashing and I can not turn them off. I parked the car went into the store, came out and they were off. Half way home from the store they start flashing again and now will not turn off at all. If I disconnect the battery obviously they quit flashing, when I reconnect the battery the drivers side parking lights come on and stay on until I start the car then the flashing begins.
Possibly the switch, or maybe a crash module??
My car alarm was going off at random times about a month ago, disconnected the hood pin and that has not occurred since.

Oh and since I disconnected the battery for the flashers, my door locks have not gone crazy since, I assume that this is because it reset the GM5 module?

So the question is, am I on the right track with these two problems and if it is the switch to the flashers how do I remove it from the console?

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by sconner; 12-04-2012 at 08:01 AM.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
I have no idea what could be causing this but it sounds like your car needs to be exorcised....

Had a similar problem happen to a pickup I used to own. Had an alarm/remote starter installed and the windows went crazy...they would go up and down by themselves after a car-wash. It was moisture getting onto the contacts...
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
I would think it was the GM5 as well.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
pleiades

My Ride: M52TU
Speaking only from e39 experience, so read with big grain of salt ..... This sort of electrical weirdness can happen when...

- The car battery is not charging as well as it used to. (Test battery voltage and load; test car alternator.)
- The ignition key module is worn out. (Diagnosis confirmed by lowering one of the car sunvisors.)
- The large fuses under the passenger seat carpeting have been exposed to and rusted out by water leaks (leaky door vapor barrier, clogged AC drains, loose or clogged sunroof drains). I don't know if the e46s have those fuse boxes under there like the e39s.... These would usually cause a lot of other issues, like crazy radio.
- The heater blower controller (final stage unit/resistor), which causes unusual blower behavior.
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
sconner

Thanks guys,

After writing this on Tuesday I went out after work and connected the battery, the car has acted fine since then, no more flashers (I am afraid to touch the flasher button) no more door lock issues. I know it is only a matter of time before this ugly monster reappears! I think I will have the battery tested as well as the alternator, to see if either are maybe causing this issue. I will post the results of those tests as I am not sure at what point is considered bad.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
sconner

OK battery and charging system test out good?? It did happen again last night with the flashers. I think it may be the button/switch, because after disconnecting the battery they went out and I can not turn them on from the switch. So it does not work if they are on or if they are off. I guess its time for a new switch.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
The console door lock/flasher button goes bad often. The switch gets stuff spilled in it and the guys blow out the back of the switch.

I would just suggest you replace the console door lock/flasher switch. Check ECS Tuning or an online sponsor.

As for the turn signal being on, make sure you just did not have your turn signal lever down, these cars have a single side parking light option that will turn on just 1/2 of the parking lights once the car is off by activating the turn signal stalk.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
sconner

I pulled the hazard/central lock button, disassembled it cleaned it all up with no flash electrical cleaner and it still does not work. Also my hazards are still on even with the switch unplugged and out of the car? is this normal or is something else driving the hazard lights?