E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljcl View Post
Thank you so much. Yes, I have SOS but I always thought - and believe I was told - that I did not have Bluetooth. I am going to have to read up on it - how to activate and set-up and see whether I have it and it works..... Great! Really great! Thank you again!
Can you tell me how to IM you instead of taking up everybody's space here?
Paul - pauljcl
Paul...just send private message above.
1st you need to know your PIN# for the car. Should be on a card in you owners manual unless that was given to you. If that be the case, you'll need to locate the COP unit in the trunk & it should be on it (4 digit#). The COP is located on drivers side behind the carpet cover, mounted on the back of the back seat. Let me know when you get your pin & we'll go from there. Do you have the phone/bluetooth manual?

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
pauljcl

My Ride: 2005 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
Paul....not sure why you had the problem but here goes (copied n' paste):
I think you have the bluetooth interface; do you have the SOS on your rearview mirror?

you have a E46 CABRIO auto w/M54 330 engine; build date 2004-11-08
SILBERGRAU METALLIC (A08) STANDARDLEDER/GRAU (N6TT)

Type Value
VIN WBABW53455PL49489
Type code BW53
Type 330CI (USA)
E series E46 (CFL)
Series 3
Type CABRIO
Steering LL
Doors 2
Engine M54
Displacement 3.00
Power 170
Drive HECK
Transmission AUT
Colour SILBERGRAU METALLIC (A08)
Upholstery STANDARDLEDER/GRAU (N6TT)
Prod.date 2004-11-08

Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)
S1CAA SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S205A AUTOMATIC GETRIEBE Automatic transmission
S388A VERDECK SCHWARZ Softtop, black
S431A INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S438A EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG Fine wood trim
S441A RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package
S459A SITZVERSTELLUNG, ELEKTR.MIT MEMORY Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
S488A LORDOSENSTUETZE FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Lumbar support, driver and passenger
S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
S521A REGENSENSOR Rain sensor
S522A XENON-LICHT Xenon Light
S524A ADAPTIVES KURVENLICHT Adaptive Headlights
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S639A KOMPLETTVORB. HANDY USA/CDN Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S650A CD-LAUFWERK CD player
Code Description (interface) Description (EPC)
S674A HIFI-SYSTEM HARMAN/KARDON Hi-Fi System Harman Kardon
S692A CD WECHSLER I-BUS VORBEREITUNG Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch
S8SPA COP STEUERUNG Control unit COP
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Transport protection package
S210A DYNAMISCHE STAB. CONTROL (DSC) Dynamic stability control
S249A MULITFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD Multifunction f steering wheel
S251A REIFEN PANNEN ANZEIGE Runflat indicator
S255A SPORT-LEDERLENKRAD Sports leather steering wheel
S354A GRUENKEIL-FRONTSCHEIBE Green windscreen, green shade band
S399A VERDECKBETAETIGUNG VOLLAUTOMATISCH Softtop, electromech. all-autom.
S473A ARMAUFLAGE VORN Armrest front
S520A NEBELSCHEINWERFER Fog lights
S550A BORDCOMPUTER On-board computer
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S661A RADIO BMW BUSINESS Radio BMW Business (C43)
S785A WEISSE BLINKLEUCHTEN White direction indicator lights
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S832A BATTERIE IM KOFFERRAUM Battery in luggage compartment
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic belt warning
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version English
S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
S992A STEUERUNG KENNZEICHENBEFESTIGUNG Control of number-plate attachment

http://www.bmwvin.com/?vin=PL49489
From what I read elsewhwere, "COP" is short for "Coil on Plug" and efers to the control of the coils on the spark plugs (as opposed to in a central box) that BMW uses. (?)
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #23
bimmernut3

Quote:
From what I read elsewhwere, "COP" is short for "Coil on Plug" and efers to the control of the coils on the spark plugs (as opposed to in a central box) that BMW uses. (?)
No, these guys are just guessing and that's the best they could do. ALL BMW's come with the individual coils on the plugs. What idiot would think they (BMW) would put this on an 'option' chart. Your car can't run with out them. :>) just like a starter or alternator or water pump. just plain silly. I'm pretty sure this is an acronym for the telephone control, maybe "communications option package" or something similar. Why would they put "control unit" on a coil? Crazy man. You got to remember too that this package has voice recognition Incorporated into it. You can give commands to call, make memos, enter numbers, etc. I think there's about 8-10 voice commands that this system recognizes. Pretty cool stuff. Some how this is also integrated with the on board nav. system if you have that option as well, which BTW, you don't. It's not on your option list. Find your PIN# & you can pair your phone with this system & every time you get into the car, it will pair & copy your phone book to make calls. My PO had it unplugged at the COP unit to disable it. Once I plugged it back in, I could get it to pair with my Samsung.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
pauljcl

Quote:
No, these guys are just guessing and that's the best they could do. ALL BMW's come with the individual coils on the plugs. What idiot would think they (BMW) would put this on an 'option' chart. Your car can't run with out them. :>) just like a starter or alternator or water pump. just plain silly. I'm pretty sure this is an acronym for the telephone control, maybe "communications option package" or something similar. Why would they put "control unit" on a coil? Crazy man. You got to remember too that this package has voice recognition Incorporated into it. You can give commands to call, make memos, enter numbers, etc. I think there's about 8-10 voice commands that this system recognizes. Pretty cool stuff. Some how this is also integrated with the on board nav. system if you have that option as well, which BTW, you don't. It's not on your option list. Find your PIN# & you can pair your phone with this system & every time you get into the car, it will pair & copy your phone book to make calls. My PO had it unplugged at the COP unit to disable it. Once I plugged it back in, I could get it to pair with my Samsung.
This is getting to be very exciting for me. I put my iPhone in 'search' mode and pressed on the R/T button on the steering wheel, and it 'found' the BMW 49489 (my last 5 digits of the VIN). But I did not know the PIN. I tried 0000, then 1234, then the last four digits of the VIN and none worked. Do you know of a simple way to find it out? [It's not in the documentation I had received - did not mention Bluetooth] Do all the same model BMWs have the same PIN?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #25
bimmernut3

Quote:
This is getting to be very exciting for me. I put my iPhone in 'search' mode and pressed on the R/T button on the steering wheel, and it 'found' the BMW 49489 (my last 5 digits of the VIN). But I did not know the PIN. I tried 0000, then 1234, then the last four digits of the VIN and none worked. Do you know of a simple way to find it out? [It's not in the documentation I had received - did not mention Bluetooth] Do all the same model BMWs have the same PIN?
See Paul, it's like finding a missing treasure! The pin# is specific to your car. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, it should be on the COP unit in the truck: "you'll need to locate the COP unit in the trunk & it should be on it (4 digit#). The COP is located on drivers side behind the carpet cover, mounted on the back of the back seat." I had to actually crawl into the truck to get close enough to plug the COP unit in. I think you'll find the key (PIN#) to your new treasure chest there.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
pauljcl

Quote:
See Paul, it's like finding a missing treasure! The pin# is specific to your car. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, it should be on the COP unit in the truck: "you'll need to locate the COP unit in the trunk & it should be on it (4 digit#). The COP is located on drivers side behind the carpet cover, mounted on the back of the back seat." I had to actually crawl into the truck to get close enough to plug the COP unit in. I think you'll find the key (PIN#) to your new treasure chest there.
Yes, I cannot find out how to remove the carpet... the 'box' that contains the folded top seems to hold it in place securely, and I cannot find 'pins' to pull out, so that the carpet is free. So close, yet so far..... Maybe I'll just cut into the carpet around the 'lump' (I assume the 'lump' is where the COP unit is) and see if I can reach it that way.... then re-glue the carpet..... It sucks but may work....
Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #27
bimmernut3

Quote:
Yes, I cannot find out how to remove the carpet... the 'box' that contains the folded top seems to hold it in place securely, and I cannot find 'pins' to pull out, so that the carpet is free. So close, yet so far..... Maybe I'll just cut into the carpet around the 'lump' (I assume the 'lump' is where the COP unit is) and see if I can reach it that way.... then re-glue the carpet..... It sucks but may work....
Do not cut the carpet! Try this:
1. Remove spare tire cover.
2. Remove drivers side black plastic storage tray
3. Remove DS rear tail light cover
4. Remove 2-3 plastic pins holding the DS side carpet in place & remove the side carpet from the trunk.
5. You should be able to pull the DS carpet that is up against the rear seat & bend it out of the way to expose COP unit. If you need to, replace the spare tire cover so you can get into the rear & see the info on the COP unit. Hopefully, the PIN# is on it. I'm pretty sure it is.
Here's a video to show you MOST of the work. Once this far, (side carpet removed), it allowed me to pull the pins holding the rear seat cover carpet & peel the carpet back enough to get access to the COP

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #28
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
I have that same option listd for my car, but I don't seem to have Bluetooth phone function. I also have NAV

http://www.bmwvin.com/?vin=PJ94988
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #29
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
I have that same option listd for my car, but I don't seem to have Bluetooth phone function. I also have NAV

http://www.bmwvin.com/?vin=PJ94988
@Poncho...do you have the SOS in your rear view mirror? I don't see the "Interior mirror with automatic-dip" option called out, Your car has an earlier build date (10-03) and the option is different; "Control unit CO2" not COP. I don't know the difference between these 2 different options. Does your NAV unit allow voice commands?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #30
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
If call BMW with your vin they might be able to give you the Bluetooth pin
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #31
Poncho@home

I don't have the SOS in the rear view mirror...actually I don't know what that is.

No my nav does not accept voice commands, as far as I can tell.

My car is pre-wired bluetooth according to the label in the trunk.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
I don't have the SOS in the rear view mirror...actually I don't know what that is.

No my nav does not accept voice commands, as far as I can tell.

My car is pre-wired bluetooth according to the label in the trunk.
@Poncho...I'll try to explain it the best I can. The SOS is the telephone transmitter for BMW Road Service or accident notification (sort of like OnStar for GM) that is mounted in the rear view mirror of convertibles and other models that was a $750 option called "BMW Assist & Bluetooth system". I think this is part of the COP package or requires the COP package in order to make phone calls from the car without using an actual hand held phone. This mirror has a "SOS" labeled on the RH side of the mirror with a pull down cover that when opened had a push button call system to call for assistance from BMW. Here's a video link to show you what I'm talking about. Without this option, you probably don't have the bluetooth capability unless you add an aftermarket

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #33
Poncho@home

I don't have tah option.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #34
pauljcl

Quote:
Do not cut the carpet! Try this:
1. Remove spare tire cover.
2. Remove drivers side black plastic storage tray
3. Remove DS rear tail light cover
4. Remove 2-3 plastic pins holding the DS side carpet in place & remove the side carpet from the trunk.
5. You should be able to pull the DS carpet that is up against the rear seat & bend it out of the way to expose COP unit. If you need to, replace the spare tire cover so you can get into the rear & see the info on the COP unit. Hopefully, the PIN# is on it. I'm pretty sure it is.
Here's a video to show you MOST of the work. Once this far, (side carpet removed), it allowed me to pull the pins holding the rear seat cover carpet & peel the carpet back enough to get access to the COP
I did not see the video (missing?), but I will do what you recommend and see where that leads me. Thank you for your patience!! Is the PIN easily visible or is that another BMW thing - in the least accessible place?

Last edited by pauljcl; 12-09-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #35
bimmernut3

Quote:
I did not see the video (missing?), but I will do what you recommend and see where that leads me. Thank you for your patience!! Is the PIN easily visible or is that another BMW thing - in the least accessible place?
sorry about that. See if this helps

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
bimmernut3

Quote:
sorry about that. See if this helps
Paul, I think this is what the unit you're looking for looks like. Zoom in on this unit & see the PK#?; that's the PASSKEY Number you're looking for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-Blue...sories&vxp=mtr

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by bimmernut3; 12-11-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #37
pauljcl

Quote:
Paul, I think this is what the unit you're looking for looks like. Zoom in on this unit & see the PK#?; that's the PASSKEY Number you're looking for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-Blue...sories&vxp=mtr
Thank you much. It appears to be on the underside of the unit, and I will have to unbolt the unit to turn it over and view the bottom. I'll try "3138" first, though !
I'll let you know. Time is in short supply for me now.....
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #38
bimmernut3

Quote:
Thank you much. It appears to be on the underside of the unit, and I will have to unbolt the unit to turn it over and view the bottom. I'll try "3138" first, though !
Nope, the information tag will be facing you; or at least it was on mine. BTW, ALL have different PASSKEY #'S, doubt if that will work. Good luck

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #39
bimmernut3

Quote:
Paul, did some searching and found a couple videos on youtube that are interesting pertaining to this thread. The first one is locating the PassKey# on a Z4 I think. The unit is not located in the same place as the E46 convertible but it shows you what to look for.....

The 2nd video is for a 2011 M3. I know it's not the E46 put kinda shows the process better than I can explain. Funny, he used 0000 as his PK #. This may be for the newer model or the "I" system.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #40
ICEMANBU

My Ride: 330Cic
Quote:
You're going to be even more excited when you finally get it to pair up, use it for a few months, then it starts not working every now and then, then dies completely, then drains your battery because it didn't power down properly, then you take it to the shop and find out it'll be about $900 parts and labor to replace the TCU......

As convenient as the integrated BT was, a $25 Motorola BT speaker was a much smarter move for me.

TCU failure is pretty common, and apparently there's a list of "approved" phones to use with the BMW BT link so ya know....sorry to rain on the parade, but be prepared.

Last edited by ICEMANBU; 12-12-2012 at 07:50 PM.
ICEMANBU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2001, 325ci, convertible, retract antenna