E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
miweber929

My Ride: 02 330xi
H/K head unit replacment need line out converter

On my 02 330xi I want to (and did) replace my head unit with an aftermarket single din. The issue I have is Crutchfield sold me a line out converter and told me without issue the converter, headunit steering wheel control box and wiring harness will fit int he dash behind the headunit.

It doesn't.

First- after breaking my antenna lead, smashing everything any way I could find and cuttting the hell out of the stock stereo mounting bracket I got it all to "fit" but its not right and the stereo will not drop back far enough to seat right because the stock wiring harness connector is simply too large. IF I could ditch the line out converter, I created a chunk of space I could drop it into, but with that huge ass converter in there it is NOT fitting.

Second: with the converter set to the "factory" setting (which Crutchfield said I should leave it at) the stereo isn't all that loud. I was thinking of going back in there to set them higher, but I am not 100% sure I can get it all back together.

So has anyone done this without a line output converter? Does it work?

Thanks!
Mike
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
RJDaly28

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Without the converter it's going to be incredibly loud and it's going to easily distort. You might want to look into hooking up the converter in the trunk ahead of the factory amp instead. There's a little more room there and it would be easier to access.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
miweber929

My Ride: 02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDaly28 View Post
Without the converter it's going to be incredibly loud and it's going to easily distort. You might want to look into hooking up the converter in the trunk ahead of the factory amp instead. There's a little more room there and it would be easier to access.
I've asked before about that exact thing with no response, can't believe I'm the only one to ever replace a headunit in an HK equipped car! Searching brought up nothing so I thought I'd ask as well...

Did you try it and get distortion or is this just knowledge? I don't mean that in a bad way but it seems like no one actually tried it so that's where I'm curious.

Any chance you know where I can find a wiring diagram for the amp? I have seen pictures of people installing them in the trunk but no other info has been found.
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
RJDaly28

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929 View Post
I've asked before about that exact thing with no response, can't believe I'm the only one to ever replace a headunit in an HK equipped car! Searching brought up nothing so I thought I'd ask as well...

Did you try it and get distortion or is this just knowledge? I don't mean that in a bad way but it seems like no one actually tried it so that's where I'm curious.

Any chance you know where I can find a wiring diagram for the amp? I have seen pictures of people installing them in the trunk but no other info has been found.
I had a Dynavin head unit installed with the factory HK system. The Dynavin has the LOC built in. With the built in LOC set to the equivalent of "off", as if there was no converter at all, the sound was incredibly loud and distorted very easily. Not listenable at all. (It is worth noting that with the built in converter turned on the sound was ok but way too quiet, much quieter than stock.)

I discussed an external LOC with my installer that would be trunk mounted as a possible solution, so I know you can put it there. At the end of the day I ultimately decided to replace all of the factory equipment with aftermarket stuff so it became a non-issue for my installation.

There is a link to wiring diagrams in this post:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=926247