E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Well the lens arrived and here are 2 of the first shots from it. I wanted to see what kind of DOF I could achieve at 1.4, and it looks pretty damn good. The bokeh is nice, and at 24mm it just has a different look to it..I'm happy so far!

Bailey at 1.4 by bloung, on Flickr

24L bokeh by bloung, on Flickr
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
Breezy

And is it just me or is e46fanatics, making my pics look a little soft? On my flickr the Bailey pic looks significantly sharper...I'm just using the embedded code so it doesn't make sense to me why it would..hmm
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #23
malina

My Ride: stock ZHP
That's the way Flickr handles image files. Congratz on the new lens!
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #24
B8888KC

My Ride: Old fart E46 sedan
Incredible lens. Well it better be, for the price lol. Both your lenses are pretty wide. Ever consider 85mm? I love my 85mm f1.8 to death. That said, i prefer zoom. It's too tiresome to keep changing lenses if i wanna use different focal lengths.
B8888KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #25
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B8888KC View Post
Incredible lens. Well it better be, for the price lol. Both your lenses are pretty wide. Ever consider 85mm? I love my 85mm f1.8 to death. That said, i prefer zoom. It's too tiresome to keep changing lenses if i wanna use different focal lengths.
Yeah I actually owned the 85 and for me its too close. My 35mm is my perfect FF for portraits.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
328iGuy
SensFan

My Ride: 2012 Audi Q7 S-Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
Yeah I actually owned the 85 and for me its too close. My 35mm is my perfect FF for portraits.
35mm for perfect for FF portraits? Never heard a photog say that wayyyy too wide IMHO unless they are environmental portraits.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #27
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iGuy View Post
35mm for perfect for FF portraits? Never heard a photog say that wayyyy too wide IMHO unless they are environmental portraits.
Well relatively speaking. For me, I don't shoot professionally, so yes I'd need a 70-200 or 85mm for that ideal portrait. I'm more of a walk around, take shots, kinda guy, so I lean more towards wider lenses for the environment. But when I've done paid gigs I've used mid and long teles.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #28
triton3k

My Ride: 2007 Acura TL Type-S
Send a message via AIM to triton3k Send a message via Yahoo to triton3k
I pretty much went all prime awhile ago and was fine with it until I got called for more events and realized that primes were good but times I wished I were able to zoom. So I picked up a 70-200L 2.8 and plan on adding a 24-70L as well.
But as far as primes I just picked up a 24L and love that lens. I went with a 35L before and found it to not be wide enough for landscape. So I picked up a 50L to replace the 35L, and when I sold the 35L I picked up an 85L for an amazing price and just last week was finally able to get the 24L.

If your doing portraits and setup shots then primes are great but if your gonna do events then its good to have zooms as well.
I'm more partial to primes but for the money and pay give me a zoom.
triton3k is offline   Reply With Quote