E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Ruthlessone3k

My Ride: 323i
Anyone up for a troubleshooting challenge? Please...

kinda long but only trying to be as detailed as possible. So as mentioned in my previous thread my 2000 323I with the GM automatic tranny (sport package I believe) has been acting funny. I've only had it for four days now but it is starting to fluster me. I really like the car but it has some issues that leave me a bit uncomfortable driving it very far. It started with some torque converter codes now more have come along. Hopefully these new details may shed light on the problem for some of you who are more BMW savvy than me.

So far it has thrown the following codes

P0740- Torque converter clutch circut

P1770- CAN torque interface

(I believe these two may be from the same cause as P0740 is a generic OBDII code and P1770 is BMW specific)

P0101- MAF Circuit Range/Performance Problem (comes and goes, normally stays as a pending code)

(pending)P0303- cylinder three misfire

(pending)P0305- cylinder five misfire

These misfires cause a rough idle but if I turn the car off and back on it goes away (sometimes)

There was one more code that said something about a collapsed hose detected I believe in the evap system, but I don't recall the exact code. I cleared it and it hasn't came back yet.

I cleared all these codes when I got the car, all but the evap one have come back at some point or another and they seem to go away on their own, only to return again later.

While tinkering with it tonight I had no codes, then I turned it on and let it idle and it was doing the rough idle thing, I scanned it again and it had pending misfire codes on cylinder 3 and 5. I turned it off and then back on 2x and it idled smooth. I let it run for about 5min. and scanned it again, It still had the pending misfire code but it also had the P0740 and P1770 codes referring to the torque converter in some way. I'm not exactly sure what it means though.

Next problem, I decided to check the MAF and in the process managed to tear the rubber on the intake boot around the vacuum line that runs to the brake booster. It may have already been cracked I don't really know for sure, But I guess this may lead to the P0101 code, just an uneducated guess though.

Other details that may be important or make no difference IDK

It has Bavarian Autosports coils on the five cylinders closest to the firewall. The cylinder closest to the radiator has a Bosch coil (stock???) I have the other 5 Bosch coils but don't know how to check them to see if they are even any good

It has a K&N filter

It has Bosch plugs (cant remember what kind) I believe they are copper core though But they look ok for what they are.

It has royal purple gear oil in the diff

It has royal purple atf max in the tranny (Which I have verified is compatible with the A5S 360R and 390R transmissions AKA the GM transmission, as it meets the specifications for BMW 7045E, LA2634, LT71141 and Texaco ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, N402) I plan on checking the level this weekend.

It is also lowered but I don't know what springs were used

the check engine light does not come on (even when starting the car)

the DSC does not seem to work (no light)

When going down a hill it feels like the transmission is holding it back, almost like I have to give it gas to go down hill at what should be a coasting speed.

Sorry it had to be so long But as they say, sometimes the devil is in the details.
Thanks in advance for your assistance. It is truly appreciated>

-Tyler
Ruthlessone3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
I wouldn't use Royal Purple. It has been linked to diff failures in the e36 chassis, which shares the e46 diff. It also has a rep of being second-rate compared to the likes of Redline and Amsoil.
Trans problems are common, you might try another flush flush depending on mileage.
Vacuum leaks sound like a likely culprit. Have a shop run a smoke test. Or...
Quit being cheap and use the correct sparks plugs. Search for the part #.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
OP just got his car, so let's not call him cheap.

Jfoj will be here soon, and you should read the first link(I think) in his sig, not sure because I don't see sigs on bimmerapp.
If not Search his name, and check it out.

You have some vacuum leaks somewhere, it's best to get your misfires taken care of, and work your way up to transmission.

For your SES light:
Try unlocking the OBC hidden functions menu 19

Then do a cluster test menu 21 to see if you SES light actually works.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 12-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Ruthlessone3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
I wouldn't use Royal Purple. It has been linked to diff failures in the e36 chassis, which shares the e46 diff. It also has a rep of being second-rate compared to the likes of Redline and Amsoil.
Trans problems are common, you might try another flush flush depending on mileage.
Vacuum leaks sound like a likely culprit. Have a shop run a smoke test. Or...
Quit being cheap and use the correct sparks plugs. Search for the part #.
Well, like I said I've only had it four days, the plugs came with it. I only found out they were the wrong plugs about 2 hours ago. I'm going to try to flush the trans again but I need to wait for my filter to come in and I am having trouble finding a dealer with anything other than liquid molly or royal purple brand fluid. I know there are dealers that have redline but they are all 1.5+hrs away(at least the ones listed by redline). I just haven't had time or to get to them. Germany is not a very friendly country for the home mechanic. Not a lot of car part stores here and the ones that are around carry a limited stock. Most of the stuff is from German brands I know nothing about. Unfortunately the only thing my base car care center (more like wiper blade and air freshener center) carries as far as ATF, is royal purple (and it's $12.68 a quart!!!)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Ruthlessone3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
OP just got his car, so let's not call him cheap.

Jfoj will be here soon, and you should read the first link(I think) in his sig, not sure because I don't see sigs on bimmerapp.
If not Search his name, and check it out.

You have some vacuum leaks somewhere, it's best to get your misfires taken care of, and work your way up to transmission.

For your SES light:
Try unlocking the OBC hidden functions menu 19

Then do a cluster test menu 21 to see if you SES light actually works.
Hey, thanks a lot. I've heard of this OBC hidden functions menu, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll give it a shot in the morning. it's getting on towards midnight over here and I'm headed to bed, I'll check back first thing in the morning and start working on getting this thing back on the road. Thanks again
Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
///MPR77

No problem, good luck.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
Ruthlessone3k

Well, let me just put my flame suit on and prepare for ridicule! Kind of embarrassing but I feel the need to share.

WOW way to early to be working on cars! I guess I need to get my first cup of coffee down before I start. I just went to try the "hidden OBC function check" I got nothing. Then I remembered that the car came with a bunch of parts and one was an old cluster that has seen better days. I thought what the hell I'll swap it out and see what happens. It lit up like a Christmas tree! I still had no access to the OBC functions though. At this point I thought to myself, "maybe the car needs to be running" (this made sense to my coffee deprived fresh out of bed brain). So I started the car, It ran incredibly rough and the SES light was on along with the trans light with the cog with an exclamation point in it. I turned the car off after about 5-15 seconds and decided to come inside and do a little research on this trans warning light. After searching around I found a thread that mentioned that the MAF can sometimes cause this light to come on (this is the second reference I have seen saying that the MAF can effect the trans, seems weird to me, but one was from a BMW mechanic on fixya) at this point I started thinking "well I do get that MAF code from time to time" and it was shortly after this I thought to myself "Hey stupid, remember that pile of stuff you stepped over getting into the car? Yeah, the one that has your MAF, your airbox, your upper intake elbow, and two of you coils in it? thats probably part of your problem!"
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
Ruthlessone3k

Ok another article pointing to my MAF as the problem! and it makes sense this time!

"This discovery also seemed related to information in Chevrolet Service Bulletin # 04-07-30- 013A, Titled: Automatic Transmission - Shift/Driveability Concerns/SES light on. In this service bulletin, GM states that use of an oil saturated aftermarket air filter can cause this condition. How? Too much oil applied to the air filter causes oil residue to transfer to the MAF sensor's sampling wire causing incorrect readings to the vehicle's computer. These incorrect readings are interpreted by the computer as actual data and the vehicle's computer adjusts transmission line pressure accordingly. With this incorrect information the computer forces the transmission to a constant internal high pressure state which wears out the transmission very prematurely. Technicians can either try to clean the MAF sensor sampling wire or replace the MAF sensor to correct the condition."

Sure it is from a Chevy but I do have similar problems and an oil saturated K&N filter! Hopefully a new filter and a cleaning of the MAF may at least help the situation.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Ruthlessone3k

Well, I cleaned the MAF , replaced the K&N filter with paper one and rigged my upper intake elbow up with fittings and hoses so it doesn't leak till my new one comes in. I fired it up and took it for a short test drive and all seems better now. I scanned the ecu and found no trouble codes were present that my scanner (torque pro) could read, although the check engine light is still on. I'm not sure what the deal is with that, I'll probably have BMW scan it just to be safe. Also the new gauge cluster does not function properly either, the speedo does not work on this one. I'll take it for a longer test drive tomorrow and report back with more conclusive results.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
///MPR77

Great news!

Thanks for the update.