E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
s_israr

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to s_israr
California M3 survival in Chicago's winter

Hey,

Recently moved to Chicago with my E46 M3. Got my oil change at an indie BMW repair shop. As I was leaving, the owner of the shop recommended me to have the coolant/antifreeze ratio changed because the harsh winter could freeze the coolant I have in the car now. He recommended this because I just moved from California. Does this sound accurate?

I was quoted around $190 for the job, which seems a little high, but it was $100 for the oil change (which is a relatively fair price).

Any tips/recommendations to prepare my car for the snow would be appreciated

Cheers!
s_israr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Depends on what the current ratio of antifreeze is in your car right now. A 50/50 mix is how almost everyone does it, and I'd be surprised if your car didn't have that ratio. 50/50 mix is good 'til -40F, and a 33/67 is good 'til 0F. Chances are it's a good time to replace your coolant anyway. I would just DIY it, it's a very easy process.

Other good tips/ideas:

- Get Blizzaks for your snow tires. Ain't nothin' better. If you don't wanna get different tires, go with Continenal ExtremeContact DWS. They're still great in the snow. Not as good as a snow tire, but hands-down the best all-season out there.
-Edit: Stick with BMW 10w60, it's the oil recommended for your M3. Good to -20F

- Get good windshield wipers. Bosch Icons or BMW's bracketless design are excellent year-round
- Ice scraper
- Textile snow chains for if you get stuck: http://www.ecstuning.com/News/ISSE_T...SnowChains_VW/
- RainX or AquaPel your windows. It will help ice slide off more easily
- Get your battery tested at an auto parts store to make sure it is still in good condition

That's really all there is to it!

Last edited by Zell; 12-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
He has an E46 M3. 5w30 is a horrible idea.

Get snow tires. If you think it'll snow heavily do not buy the DWS. Matter of fact just do not buy the DWS period.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
328ci906

My Ride: 2003 M3
Solid advice except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
- BMW LL-01 5w30 is good
^Stick to 10W-60 for the S54. 5W-30 is fine for non-M's.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
He has an E46 M3. 5w30 is a horrible idea.

Get snow tires. If you think it'll snow heavily do not buy the DWS. Matter of fact just do not buy the DWS period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ci906 View Post
Solid advice except...

^Stick to 10W-60 for the S54. 5W-30 is fine for non-M's.
Sorry, forgot about that.

Disregard the 5w30 You gotta use 10w60 like these guys said
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
I don't know about the adjustments between California and Chicago, but after living there for over four years I would store the M3, buy a DD, cab it or use public transportation.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
jsfbmw

My Ride: 06 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I don't know about the adjustments between California and Chicago, but after living there for over four years I would store the M3, buy a DD, cab it or use public transportation.
+1 great advice
jsfbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
+1

And, welcome to Chicago!
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
T R E

My Ride: 2000 328ci
what year M? storing for winter is good idea. if not, get a winter wheel set.

and another E46 subframe defect victim.
T R E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
+1 on the winter wheels. And I'm not too sure about the coolant because it's difficult to tell what was put into the car. I would guess it's 50/50 if it's as-built from the factory, possibly different if you ever had a shop in California change it. Wouldn't be a bad idea to change it, $190 seems reasonable for a shop, but still steep. DIY..?

Also - for sure, purge your windshield washer fluid and fill with the good stuff. I can almost guarantee what you have in there will freeze and possibly damage the seals, windshield washer tank or solenoid. Don't ask me how I know...

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
//Maxwelljuppercut

My Ride: e46
go to any parts store and buy a hydrometer (antifreeze tester) for like 6 dollars and you will know for sure if your good or not.
//Maxwelljuppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
s_israr

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to s_israr
Hey,

@T R E - She's a 2006 ZCP, Carbon Black

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, looking into all of this! I'm definitely going to be using more public transportation when it starts to snow, just wanted suggestions on how to keep the car from malfunctioning when I do drive it in freezing temperatures. Weather has been relatively moderate so far, thank GOD.

Initially, I was going to sell my car for an AWD (possibly an 335xi)... Later, people on this forum helped bring me to my senses lol

Happy Holidays y'all, cheers!
s_israr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Nothing can survive the Chicago Winters, salt, ice & potholes, not to mention the people that cannot control their car and run into you!!!

Good luck, store it for the Winter.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
the people that cannot control their car and run into you!!!
This is why we have a winter car. Intersections are bad. So are uncleared interstates with drivers who insist on driving as if it is 70F and sunny.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
//Maxwelljuppercut

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
This is why we have a winter car. Intersections are bad. So are uncleared interstates with drivers who insist on driving as if it is 70F and sunny.
whats worse than that is the idiots that are in the fast lane of the expressway going 15 mph when everyone else is going 50. then they get mad when they get rear ended. if you or your car cant handle driving in the snow then dont. of course you have to slow down when theres snow, but there is a point when it becomes dangerous to be going that slowly. i drive the chicago expressways everyday and i can tell you that when the first snow of the year comes dont expect to be anywhere, its not gonna happen. 3 hours to go 20 miles no joke. last year i counted 11 cars in ditches and into dividers on a 30 mile drive home.
//Maxwelljuppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #16
Zell

Last edited by Zell; 12-07-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote