E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
TramRam

My Ride: '02 Blk/Imola SMG M3
Better Night Driving Lights?

Driving back to West Palm from Orlando well after midnight this weekend, I had a good chance to see how my and high beams worked and I think I could have used better range! Between the high & low beam seemed to be somewhat of a dead space that I think a pencil beam driving light would fill. Does anyone else have this opinion and what is the fix? On various websites where upgrades are sold, I see projector FOG light replacements available but see no DRIVING light available that I think would do the trick! Anyone?
TramRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Are your headlights properly aimed. I'd check that first.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Are your headlights properly aimed. I'd check that first.
This. Properly aimed, I see just fine, even on halogens.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
This. Properly aimed, I see just fine, even on halogens.
calm down
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
How cloudy are your lenses?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
We need more info

Do you have halogen or oem xenon lights? Are the lights aimed properly? How are the headlight lenses? If you have xenon are the bulbs the same color and what color is that?

Posting pics would help out as well.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
TramRam

In reply to all above messages...I have the OE HIDs. I thought all M3s had them so I didn't mention that. The lenses are totally clear (new lenses), as far as in town and local highways they are great and seem properly aimed if not a bit high on the low beam. I let them balance themselves. The highway surface on I95 from Orlando was usually black so no reflective surfaces except for the paint on the sides. I believe that the bulbs are OE (4800 ??). I've read about the 6000 which is supposed to be a whiter light than the OE 4800's. Is there a replacement DRIVING bulb that uses the current foglight ports?? Is there a better (brighter) high beam bulb that other members are using?? I don't want to add any exterior mounted lights. TIA
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
The absolute best highbeam bulb is the Osram Rallye bulb.
They are basically an H9 bulb, on an H7 burner (socket), therefore output is much better than a standard H7.

Short of HID's in the fog light housing (which would be totally mismatched because they don't have projectors), get some 2500k yellow Nokya bulbs.
6000k will have slightly lower output than a standard 4300k bulb, perceived mostly because human eyes are more sensitive to the warm color spectrum.
Look at the streetlights on the highway in particular, and you'll see this theory in practice.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
TramRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
The absolute best highbeam bulb is the Osram Rallye bulb.
They are basically an H9 bulb, on an H7 burner (socket), therefore output is much better than a standard H7.

Short of HID's in the fog light housing (which would be totally mismatched because they don't have projectors), get some 2500k yellow Nokya bulbs.
6000k will have slightly lower output than a standard 4300k bulb, perceived mostly because human eyes are more sensitive to the warm color spectrum.
Look at the streetlights on the highway in particular, and you'll see this theory in practice.
Big ups! Appreciate the suggestions!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

IF you want the best xenon bulb you can get the Osram CBI bulbs which are 5000k pure white temperature with the most lumen output. Cost is $200 though...

If not, you can get Philips 85122+ bulbs from TRS for $95 shipped.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
No one can tell him that he has burnt bowls maybe. I had this problem on my 330 the xenons were **** b/c the bowl were so badly burned. these are the zkw i believe. On my 03.5 M3 they are much better, not sure of its the later improved ones or b/c its lower mileage and they arent burned yet, but i see alot better.

Last edited by Bemwe_03i; 12-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Bemwe_03i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
DOT.

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan
^^ I believe he mentioned he has a M3....

OP, do what SolidJake suggest (swap your bulbs to CBI or 85122+). If you want to drastically improve your high-beam, you can code your car so that the inner halogen lights and foglight come on when you use your high beam....

DOT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

But before bulbs, check the reflectors in the projectors first. You can use my vid to disassemble your headlights

Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemwe_03i View Post
No one can tell him that he has burnt bowls maybe. I had this problem on my 330 the xenons were **** b/c the bowl were so badly burned. these are the zkw i believe. On my 03.5 M3 they are much better, not sure of its the later improved ones or b/c its lower mileage and they arent burned yet, but i see alot better.
I believe only ZKW headlights had that problem. M3s have AL lighting which does have that burnt bowl problems.
OP, Just replace the Bulbs as Solidjake suggested. Xenon bulbs loose the brightness as they get older.

Tags
hid, lighting upgrade, night driving