E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
castafly

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Driver's side window doesn't always seal properly

I have noticed that sometimes when I close the driver's side door on my 2002 235Ci convertible, the window doesn't always align properly with the rubber seal, leaving a gap. If I open the door and close it again, it willy typically align properly and seal. The window will slightly move up upon closing like it's supposed to. It's not an issue with the gap at the very top of the window, the gap is on the side of the window just below the top. I have no idea what could be causing this. Does anyone else have this issue, and is there a simple cure for it? Any help or insight would be appreciated!
castafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
I have this exact same issue. Sometimes the window doesn't lower enough so it gets caught on the outside of the seal. I either have to open and close the door again, or wind down the window and wind it back up.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
I had this issue intermittently too after I had gotten into my accident and had my car pulled apart for respray. Ended up being that my door wasn't aligned properly and was just adjusted slightly at the hinges in the door jam. The problem is that I had my doors off for the respray whereas I'm assuming yours have always remained on the car. What you could try to compensate for it snagging is to adjust the actual locking hinge (its late and I can't think of the word for it) thats in the door jam. Remove the plastic shroud thats around the loop and you'll see 2 torx screws and alignment hashes on the body of the car. Try loosening the two screws and tuck it in SLIGHTLY. Make sure if you do go through with this you torque it down to the proper specs so that closing the door over a long period of time doesn't shake it loose.

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
^ actually, i had my drivers side door off for a repair so maybe i need to make the same adjustments.

is there and adjuster at the hinges or was it more manual than that?
Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
There is an adjustment you can do, either moving it higher or lower (accessible by two covered holes under the door) or there is a harder adjustment- remove the door panel and raise or lower the window until you see the rear window mount. Remove the screw from the mount and you will see an extremely large allen hole- this adjusts the "wedge" that will bring the window toward or away from the roof of the car. I thought my car had a window regulator going bad, but found loose hardware and found that previous repair put the wedge in wrong. I have it back together, but need to adjust it to seal at the roof more. Take note for a rubber band or oring- it needs to be there to hold the wedge assembly together while the bolt is out.. mine wasn't there.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty vert View Post
There is an adjustment you can do, either moving it higher or lower (accessible by two covered holes under the door) or there is a harder adjustment- remove the door panel and raise or lower the window until you see the rear window mount. Remove the screw from the mount and you will see an extremely large allen hole- this adjusts the "wedge" that will bring the window toward or away from the roof of the car. I thought my car had a window regulator going bad, but found loose hardware and found that previous repair put the wedge in wrong. I have it back together, but need to adjust it to seal at the roof more. Take note for a rubber band or oring- it needs to be there to hold the wedge assembly together while the bolt is out.. mine wasn't there.
Dirty Vert - A follow up question on this. The adjustments that you mentioned are possible by accessing the holes on the bottom of the door....will tighten the windows towards the roof of the car? I think that is what you are saying...but thought I would verify with you. Also, any trick to do the adjustments?

Thanks

Bob

2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
dirty vert

The adjustments through the bottom of the door will make the window go "up or down"(vertical plane) more. You will have to remove the door panel for the adjuster that will make the top of the window (with window all the way up) go toward the roof (horizontal plane)(where the window meets the top) or away. So, let's say you hear whistling and can see the window is partly pulled away from the roof - the adjuster behind the door panel. If your window isn't closing (when you run the switch up)- this is done from the bottom of the door. Hope I cleared it up like mud... I only know about these because I was in there and found them.."surprise" ...and when the wedge fellout, I thought I messed up. I studied the way it was together thankfully, although that wasn't the way it was meant to be put together. Just make sure yours has a RUBBER O-RING or a band on bottom of the wedge assembly (this keeps it together when you are trying to adjust)

Last edited by dirty vert; 12-26-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
dirty vert

Oh, and I like your vert!!! Mine is identical-it was what I was looking for specifically when I bought mine (and three pedal too).
Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
BobSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty vert View Post
Oh, and I like your vert!!! Mine is identical-it was what I was looking for specifically when I bought mine (and three pedal too).
Thanks! And thanks for the further explanation on the window adjustments...I appreciate it.

Here is a link to a post of mine from last year with pics of the car. I had done a two tone project at the time. Post some pics of your car so we can take a look.

Bob

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...725&highlight=

2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li
Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
dirty vert

here are two of my car, most of my pics are on my phone- and it won't just upload from there.
I beleive my car has a bit more wear and tear on the interior than your does, and my paint has a few issues (I think there was an egg that was on the hood for too long- I tried to buff it out, but I don't want to go too deep and mess up the clearcoat)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW interior shot.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	484233   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 11-3-12.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	484234  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
BobSC

That is a good looking vert! I had those same wheels prior to my current set....Style 68 if I recall properly, I really like them. Nice job.....

2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li