E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Strange "thump" coming from the rear...

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Megalocnus 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 323i sedan that makes a weird thump noise just before I come to a complete stop and its coming from the back of the vehicle,maybe the axle?? It doesnt happen all the time but when it does it feels like someone barely nudged me in the rear bumper,very,very lightly, but noticable. Like I said it doesnt happen all the time and when it does its just before I come to a complete stop, never at or after I stop. Anyone ever have this problem or know about this problem?? Any help would be appreciated, thank you guys for taking a look...

#8 · (Edited)
i have something simular but im pretty sure its the differential bushings in my case though it happens when i go from park to reverse and you can kind feel it when the car down shifts on my 328i Auto Tranny. My tranny still feels solid and had my tranny fluid changed at 100K and checked my Subframe Zero cracks. i hear the repair can be costly and hard to DIY with out special tool. if any one has more info please share.

#13 ·
Talked to one of the service techs at Lutz and he said its probably subframe or diff bushings,so we'll see got an appt for next saturday..you guys pretty much hit it on the head,and thanks again for everyones input, this stuff is out of my realm of DIY and I can usually do any DIY,so thanks again and will keep everyone that wants to know posted...

#15 ·
I had a horrible thud noise coming from the rear (of my car) and it turned out it was a broken coil spring. Take a look

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

#18 ·
The "thump" at stop and/or at take off can be caoused by something trivial.
I had an occasional "thump" like that when resuming driving after a moderate or hard braking to a full stop. This continued for ober a year after purchasing the car. Couldn't find the problem myself, a few mechanics at BMW shop drove the car and heard the noise, but also confirmed there's nothing wrong at the rear end. Finally the shop's owner suggested I check my battery. Sure enough, it was loose and moving inside the compartment and able to hit both the front and the rear wall. :facepalm:
However, it was making the sound only when hitting the rear one (upon acceleration).A cable was sitting between the battery and the front wall, thus absorbing the impact (upon deceleration).
Two minutes after discovering this, the problem was solved and the "thump" never came up again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.