E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikerCapitalEnt View Post
I could never figure out how to get my Asus router to work with the FIOS one. Google wasnt much help, either.

Any tips?

BTW, the 75/35 kicks ass. I can Download a 3d Bluray from Usenet in a little over an hour. That's 50GB+!
Hardwire from fios modem to new router. I think the fios ip is 192.168.1.1 go on there and disable wireless then use new router for wireless. Should work like every other router. Make sure all the wires plugged in correctly

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #22
SteveFromNY

My Ride: Audi Q5, 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Hardwire from fios modem to new router. I think the fios ip is 192.168.1.1 go on there and disable wireless then use new router for wireless. Should work like every other router. Make sure all the wires plugged in correctly

I've had trouble accessing the second router when I did that. I would change the second routers IP address to something like 192.168.1.2 or 2.1 and I couldn't access options to setup up wireless and stuff like that.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #23
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post

You obviously know your wireless, so another quick question. My apartment is a traincar, and it's very long. It is also an old building which means the walls are all solid stone.

The FIOS router is at one end and doesn't reach the other end very well. To combat this, I purchased an Apple airport for the other end. The apple airport is hardwired to the fios router (ran a long long CAT 5 wire on the outside of the building) and now have wifi everywhere. I tried to mimic the network but didn't have much success, so I did it the ghetto way. I created a new network on the apple airport, with the same name and the same password as the fios router, and have full service now everywhere, but something tells me that is not the correct way to do it. With the cisco, what would be the proper way to handle this?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #24
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You obviously know your wireless, so another quick question. My apartment is a traincar, and it's very long. It is also an old building which means the walls are all solid stone.

The FIOS router is at one end and doesn't reach the other end very well. To combat this, I purchased an Apple airport for the other end. The apple airport is hardwired to the fios router (ran a long long CAT 5 wire on the outside of the building) and now have wifi everywhere. I tried to mimic the network but didn't have much success, so I did it the ghetto way. I created a new network on the apple airport, with the same name and the same password as the fios router, and have full service now everywhere, but something tells me that is not the correct way to do it. With the cisco, what would be the proper way to handle this?

There are other people on here that know much more about me with setting up the network properly. But my parents had the same problem in there house..old big stone house..signal sucked or didn't reach in some areas. I did theirs similar to what you did. Cable modem from outside then I set up 3 different hard wired routers throughout the house(1 in the basement, 1 in their bedroom and 1 in the office) all have different names/passwords, but it's the only thing that worked throughout their house well and gives a strong signal. I have a townhouse and the router is in the basement, and the fios router wouldn't reach upstairs or I would have 1 bar..the cisco router is in the same place but I have 4-5 bars upstairs now..so that might help you too.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #25
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Cant use it. Fios requires their own router because it talks to the cable boxes as well....thats what I was told anyway.
Thats true, but you can sit your own router behind theirs, and disable their WiFi with ease.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #26
yousharenow

Quote:

This is the "correct" way to do this in a non-controller based environment. Setting up an identical SSID with same encryption is the most seamless way to do this. You could get into a Mesh type scenario but this is the best way to do such a simple deployment.

Last edited by yousharenow; 12-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
Tauce says

My Ride: is imola
Yes, disable the wifi on the FIOS box and add your own wireless. Disable DHCP on your wireless box and you're set. I've never had any success with modem/wireless combos. Too much responsibility for one box. They're cheap as hell and overheat.
Tauce says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #28
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikerCapitalEnt View Post
I've had trouble accessing the second router when I did that. I would change the second routers IP address to something like 192.168.1.2 or 2.1 and I couldn't access options to setup up wireless and stuff like that.
Does the first modem assign numbers in the 192.168.x.x range? If so, you'll need to get away from that range entirely otherwise the boxes get confused. You can have it be 192.1.x.x or something like that. I have my parent's house set up that way and it works great.

Quote:

How far through your apartment does the Apple router reach? You did configure it correctly though. Other option would have been to give it a different SSID, WPA2 password and just save that set up in all of your devices. That way, they will seamlessly switch between networks as they please.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #29
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
This is the "correct" way to do this in a non-controller based environment. Setting up an identical SSID with same encryption is the most seamless way to do this. You could get into a Mesh type scenario but this is the best way to do such a simple deployment.
Does the wireless device know when I walk from one end to the other? Will it automatically jump ship to the other router when both routers have the same SSID and password? Do they have to be set to the same channel (both routers are set on auto right now.)

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-07-2012 at 11:55 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #30
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Does the first modem assign numbers in the 192.168.x.x range? If so, you'll need to get away from that range entirely otherwise the boxes get confused. You can have it be 192.1.x.x or something like that. I have my parent's house set up that way and it works great.

How far through your apartment does the Apple router reach? You did configure it correctly though. Other option would have been to give it a different SSID, WPA2 password and just save that set up in all of your devices. That way, they will seamlessly switch between networks as they please.
Neither router can penetrate the entire apartment. Both will provide only 1 bar (on an iphone) at the other end.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #31
SamDoe1

Quote:
Does the wireless device know when I walk from one end to the other? Will it automatically jump ship to the other router when both routers have the same SSID and password? Do they have to be set to the same channel (both routers are set on auto right now.)
Yes, devices will switch at will even if they don't have the same SSID or password. They don't need to be on the same channel and actually shouldn't be on the same channel to avoid interference at the overlap zone.

Quote:
Neither router can penetrate the entire apartment. Both will provide only 1 bar (on an iphone) at the other end.
What if you put the Airport in the middle of your apartment?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #32
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Anyone have an answer as to why my internet speed is fast yet videos load slow?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #33
yousharenow

Quote:
Channel has nothing to do with it. The device will associate to its nearest Open or pre-configured strongest signal SSID.

So if you have them with the same SSID and WPA key, the client will hop from one to the other depending on who has the stronger signal.

Keep them on separate channels though..set one router on 1 the other on 11 (try to avoid channel 6 -everything in the world from microwaves to baby monitors use that)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #34
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
why not just update the router and get a linksys or netgear?
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #35
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
Anyone have an answer as to why my internet speed is fast yet videos load slow?
it's youtube...
Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #36
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Yes, devices will switch at will even if they don't have the same SSID or password. They don't need to be on the same channel and actually shouldn't be on the same channel to avoid interference at the overlap zone.

What if you put the Airport in the middle of your apartment?
Can't do that. I have no way to run a CAT5 cable to the center of the apartment. I do however, have a fios cable box in the kitchen (roughly the middle of the apartment) and the cable box has an ethernet port on it. I also have a spare fios router (the old one this n one replaced) and wanted to hook it up there to see if that would help, however, I don't know if I can use a cablebox as an access point (might have to call verizon.) If I use both verizon routers, will they not conflict with each other IP wise? The main one that is the N feeding all the boxes is 198.162.1.1. The new one will just assume another identity then?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #37
NFRs2000nyc

I ordered the Cisco router recommended above. In the meantime, I changed by FIOS router to channel 1 and my Airport Extreme to channel 11. The airport is putting out 36/33 and the FIOS is putting out 22/20. I was sitting about 6 feet from the router when testing.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #38
Tauce says

My Ride: is imola
Quote:
I ordered the Cisco router recommended above. In the meantime, I changed by FIOS router to channel 1 and my Airport Extreme to channel 11. The airport is putting out 36/33 and the FIOS is putting out 22/20. I was sitting about 6 feet from the router when testing.
How many networks do you see and what device are you testing from? Need to get on 5 ghz to get away from the noise.
Tauce says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #39
SamDoe1

Quote:
Can't do that. I have no way to run a CAT5 cable to the center of the apartment. I do however, have a fios cable box in the kitchen (roughly the middle of the apartment) and the cable box has an ethernet port on it. I also have a spare fios router (the old one this n one replaced) and wanted to hook it up there to see if that would help, however, I don't know if I can use a cablebox as an access point (might have to call verizon.) If I use both verizon routers, will they not conflict with each other IP wise? The main one that is the N feeding all the boxes is 198.162.1.1. The new one will just assume another identity then?
You will have to ask Verizon that because it will issue multiple IP addresses to your home. The internal IP address of the router (the 192.168.1.1) is irrelevant. That's just the internal IP and what Verizon assigns the router, which is the true IP of your network, will be different for each router external router.

I'm not sure of your level of expertise with networking but each router will create it's own internal network and because of this, you can nest multiple routers inside of each other as long as the internal IP doesn't match the external IP. I've found that having matching IP addresses will confuse the routers.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #40
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauce says View Post
How many networks do you see and what device are you testing from? Need to get on 5 ghz to get away from the noise.
I only see one since they both have the same SSID and password.