E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #21
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
hmmm ya I hear what your saying, Building the motor I would be best off to buy ESS's stage 3 but looking from build threads there is much more expense than just the basic TS3 kit... It is worth considering so I see your point..
But at the moment as I want the car back on the road due to my e30 being promoted to daily driver! Im able pick up a reconditioned b30 block for (euro)1000 which is pretty class.. If that blows Ill eat my hat and take your advice!
You want my TS3 pistons and fuel injectors? Then I'd sell my TS3 setup as a TS2+.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #22
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: SG E46, AW F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
i am unable to remove this picture.
Do Not REFER to this for routing

This is the tensioner he referred to.
It attaches to the OFH which is actually a semi hollow part, that the alternator, and PS pump attach to.
It certainly isn't a very robust part being that it is hollow.
go to your user cp, bottom left under Misc, Attachments, see if you can delete it there.

Last edited by cd330; 12-11-2012 at 09:43 PM.
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
go to your user cp, attachments, see if you can delete it there.
Yeah couldn't do it in advanced editing on the message.

I will check the user control panel.

Thanks Chad.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #24
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: SG E46, AW F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
Yeah couldn't do it in advanced editing on the message.

I will check the user control panel.

Thanks Chad.

I know I can do it on my user cp, just don't know if you can
Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #25
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post

I know I can do it on my user cp, just don't know if you can
It worked, thanks again.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #26
AndyN

My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Where did you find the B30 block for €1000 ?
From a Company in the UK, Sorry my bad it works out about 1500 euro its around 1200 pounds sterling.

Some updates:
Contacted ESS on the upgrades needed from the TS2 on the b25 to b30

Elbow: 450USD
Injectors 359USD
Pulley 95USD
Belt 62USD
New software 795USD

I didnt think there was much of a difference between the TS2 on both engines..
1) Why are the injectors need to be upgraded, arent they both large Bosch ones?
2)The pulley I would have thought would be the same size as the b25 as the engines are identical, unless the crank diameter is different, anyone know this?
3)Is this not just that little piece of rubber that attaches the throttle to the air filter? If so 450USD?!!
4) 795 is fair price for software provided they dont mess it up this time and I have to resend it back to them!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
I believe crank and rods are different between the two motors.

Elbow is the metal piece that you mount your throttle body to. From my understanding, B30 has a bigger throttle body than the B25 - thus the reason for the elbow change.

Quote:
From a Company in the UK, Sorry my bad it works out about 1500 euro its around 1200 pounds sterling.

Some updates:
Contacted ESS on the upgrades needed from the TS2 on the b25 to b30

Elbow: 450USD
Injectors 359USD
Pulley 95USD
Belt 62USD
New software 795USD

I didnt think there was much of a difference between the TS2 on both engines..
1) Why are the injectors need to be upgraded, arent they both large Bosch ones?
2)The pulley I would have thought would be the same size as the b25 as the engines are identical, unless the crank diameter is different, anyone know this?
3)Is this not just that little piece of rubber that attaches the throttle to the air filter? If so 450USD?!!
4) 795 is fair price for software provided they dont mess it up this time and I have to resend it back to them!
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
AndyN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighBoostin330 View Post
I believe crank and rods are different between the two motors.

Elbow is the metal piece that you mount your throttle body to. From my understanding, B30 has a bigger throttle body than the B25 - thus the reason for the elbow change.
So I am presuming if the crank is different in order to keep the ratio to 8 psi a different pulley size is needed, Correct?

So its just the elbow that changes or do I need to change the throttle body also? Its all starting to add up I can only image how you felt doing the TS3!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #29
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

My Ride: ESS TS2+ 330Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
Quote:
So I am presuming if the crank is different in order to keep the ratio to 8 psi a different pulley size is needed, Correct?

So its just the elbow that changes or do I need to change the throttle body also? Its all starting to add up I can only image how you felt doing the TS3!!!
Yup, b30 throttle body is bigger.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #30
AndyN

UPDATE:
So it turns out the reconditioned engine that I was supposed to get isnt in stock so could have to wait for a good while to get a reconditioned one.
There is the option of another engine that has 90,000 miles on it for much cheaper. Will this be able handle the TS2?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #31
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
UPDATE:
So it turns out the reconditioned engine that I was supposed to get isnt in stock so could have to wait for a good while to get a reconditioned one.
There is the option of another engine that has 90,000 miles on it for much cheaper. Will this be able handle the TS2?
Why not go for a rebuild ?
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #32
AndyN

I have ordered the 3.0L with 90,000 miles on it and im gonna rebuild the 2.5 while its out but may put that in my e30.
I just wanna get the e46 back up and running again! I miss it!!
Hopefully the new engine will hold up better than the 2.5L
Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #33
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Hopefully the new engine will hold up better than the 2.5L
You really need to tear down the old motor to determine what went wrong before moving forward with any other plans....
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #34
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
You need to tear apart the engine and look at both the pistons and the spark plugs. Until you figure out the cause of the problem, I would not run whatever replacement engine you will have sources. For example, if it was a fuel system related failure, you would still need to address that....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
You really need to tear down the old motor to determine what went wrong before moving forward with any other plans....
Again, this should be the priority.
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #35
AndyN

Quote:
Again, this should be the priority.
Yes I agree guys, the old engine is coming out and before I start up the new one I will strip it down. My mechanic seemed to think (now bear with me on this as I didnt fully understand him!) Something about oil getting into the clyinder and during compression the oil got blown into sump and out through VCG?

Another thing that may be important is that I used to be reading 11psi in 5th gear even though the software I thought limits it to 8psi. When I would put the foot down in 5th sometimes I would get check engine light and car would misfire like a B!tch.
Also it would have terrible cold starts with it stuttering and cutting out etc..

I am presuming the engine was giving up for awhile before this..
Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #36
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Yes I agree guys, the old engine is coming out and before I start up the new one I will strip it down. My mechanic seemed to think (now bear with me on this as I didnt fully understand him!) Something about oil getting into the clyinder and during compression the oil got blown into sump and out through VCG?

Another thing that may be important is that I used to be reading 11psi in 5th gear even though the software I thought limits it to 8psi. When I would put the foot down in 5th sometimes I would get check engine light and car would misfire like a B!tch.
Also it would have terrible cold starts with it stuttering and cutting out etc..

Do you have the OEM exhaust manifolds still on the car? (Headers)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #37
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
Quote:

Sounds like maybe a tuning issue. Or you could've been blowing oil.
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #38
AndyN

Quote:
Do you have the OEM exhaust manifolds still on the car? (Headers)
Yes its RHD so the only ones I can find are by schiedmann in denmark and they have a 75 working day wait!!! You think this may be a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TArse View Post
Sounds like maybe a tuning issue. Or you could've been blowing oil.
Ya I think tuning issue, When I got the ECU back from them it didnt work so had to resend it to them again and then it worked second time but now Im worried about them messing it up again on my new engine!
Any particular gauge I should buy to keep an eye on things, I have boost and oil temp, maybe I could keep an eye on A/F this time??
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #39
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Yes its RHD so the only ones I can find are by schiedmann in denmark and they have a 75 working day wait!!! You think this may be a problem?
It is possible that your engine failure is the result of back-pressure from failed catalytic converters. There are other possible variables, but this is one possibility to consider.

Quote:
Ya I think tuning issue, When I got the ECU back from them it didnt work so had to resend it to them again and then it worked second time but now Im worried about them messing it up again on my new engine!
I don't think the tune is the problem.

You have a mechanical issue that has changed the boost pressure from 8 PSI when you first installed the kit, to 11psi just before the engine blew.

I could be wrong, but this does not point to the software?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #40
AndyN

Quote:
It is possible that your engine failure is the result of back-pressure from failed catalytic converters. There are other possible variables, but this is one possibility to consider.

I don't think the tune is the problem.

You have a mechanical issue that has changed the boost pressure from 8 PSI when you first installed the kit, to 11psi just before the engine blew.

I could be wrong, but this does not point to the software?
I did throw a code every now and again for Pre/post cat sensors?Cant remember which one though.

I was always able to have more boost than 8psi since i installed the kit.
Probably should have done something about that then! haha

Last edited by AndyN; 12-19-2012 at 07:34 AM.
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote