E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #61
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Some people are gifted like Michael Jordan. From birth, I could never be him. Some are gifted like Buffet. Some like zuckenberg. Some like Steve Jobs. Only the weak and the losers in life believe we are created equal. Those that believe they are NOT created equal, those who believe they are at a disadvantage, those who strive to overcome succeed. People with lairs mentality are nothing but failures and never amount to sh!t.
I think what the founding fathers had in mind was more or less akin to, if you are in this society, you will be given the same opportunity as your fellow man for success. The rest, is up to you. I may have a great life right now, but you can be sure that I want a hell of a lot more out of my short time on earth. I won't become complacent. If I have to worry about stupid mundane chores that the average man complains about his entire life, I consider that failure. If I end up living in suburbia with a decent house and kids, I would consider that failure. This motivates me to get the most out of life.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #62
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Agree 100%. People come here from all over the world with nothing (my family included.) They overcame things an American born person can't even comprehend. Personally, I feel that way too. There is no excuse for being poor in this country other than laziness. You can go to school for free. There is plenty of work. Bust your ass, learn, educate, work harder and you will do just fine. Those that don't are just expecting for a pot of gold to drop out of the sky but are in for a big surprise.
There you go. My grandparents came here with an 8th grade education from western Europe after WWII with $200. My grandfather (and father) were both janitors that used to clean up **** in apartments buildings. Now they own the apartment buildings and I never had to worry about school and many other luxuries. I think it's awesome, but I'm not done yet. I plan on taking what my family gives to me and making it into something even better than what they ever dreamed of.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #63
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Look at the greedy capitalist thug who's calling me a "failure".

You couldn't hold my jock, you POS.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #64
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
There you go. My grandparents came here with an 8th grade education from western Europe after WWII with $200. My grandfather (and father) were both janitors that used to clean up **** in apartments buildings. Now they own the apartment buildings and I never had to worry about school and many other luxuries. I think it's awesome, but I'm not done yet. I plan on taking what my family gives to me and making it into something even better than what they ever dreamed of.
Great American success story.

How many people did they fvck up the ass to get there? Are they threatening to sell out and hide all their cash in the Caymans?

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #65
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
You're so shortsighted. It's about what it took to amass that wealth.
And what kind of person you are after you amass that wealth. That's a true test of character. Are you going to remain the same decent, humble person you were when you were broke, or are you going to turn into a vicious, greedy POS who thinks everyone else is beneath you now that you've made money?

You know, like the POS that nfrs2000 is.

Quote:
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 12-08-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #66
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Great American success story.

How many people did they fvck up the ass to get there?
None, but we sure have been ****ed over by others.

Quote:
And what kind of person you are after you amass that wealth. That's a true test of character. Are you going to remain the same decent, humble person you were when you were broke, or are you going to turn into a vicious, greedy POS who thinks everyone else is beneath you now that you've made money?

Money is the barometer of success in our society. I don't care what person you become after you become wealthy. That is your prerogative.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #67
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Look at the greedy capitalist thug who's calling me a "failure".

You couldn't hold my jock, you POS.
Why so mad yo?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #68
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

I never said anyone is beneath me. What I said was the lazy get no help or pity from me.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #69
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Money is the barometer of success in our society.
I think I see your problem.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #70
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
I think I see your problem.
Enlighten me.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #71
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Enlighten me.
I somewhat agree with him (Lair making a rational point?? A broken clock is right twice a day, I guess).....money may be some peoples measure of success, but it's only a part of the picture. If you are rich as fock and a terrible person, I don't view that as being successful.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #72
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I somewhat agree with him (Lair making a rational point?? A broken clock is right twice a day, I guess).....money may be some peoples measure of success, but it's only a part of the picture. If you are rich as fock and a terrible person, I don't view that as being successful.
Perhaps I should expand.

Honestly earned money is the barometer of success.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #73
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Perhaps I should expand.

In a financial sense, yes. In life, I think it's only a part of the picture.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #74
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I agree. Money isn't the end all be all. I am not near a millionaire but feel rich. I have a great wife, a great daughter, love what I do, and am generally happy. I also know people that are rich but miserable f**ks. Now, some people can live in a cabin in Alaska and be happy. In the big cities, people that are poor are generally very unhappy people. Eeking your way through life for a normal person isn't something to be happy about. My point, generally those with money have a choice about being happy while those without money seldom do.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #75
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
In a financial sense, yes. In life, I think it's only a part of the picture.
What you want out of life and what you judge yourself on is your own decision. Society has chosen money. People equate success to having power and influence. Money can purchase and is also a byproduct of these two things.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #76
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Perhaps I should expand.

You and I agree on 99% of stuff as you can see and I agree with the core of your statement, that in our society as a whole money is the barometer. However, personally to me it is only part of it. We all have our personal heroes. To me it is more than money but also your accomplishments in life. Some, including me would be proud of myself if I provided my family with a great life, spent lots of time with my wife and kids, traveled a lot, etc. I would not want to give that up for a fatter bank account (often to get one you need to give up a lot of the other, as the one thing you can make more of us time.) I don't look up to warren buffet whatsoever but I do look up to someone like Ranulph Fiennes (polar explorer.) I do admire a hardworking farmer a lot more than some sleazeball on Wall Street. To me personally, the barometer of success is the situation of the person. A hardworking, proud, happy person is a bigger role model for me than some big time big law partner that works 20 hour days, neglects his wife and kids, and drinks a bottle of scotch over the course of the work day. On the societal whole though, you are right, we have no other way to measure success other than wealth.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #77
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
What you want out of life and what you judge yourself on is your own decision. Society has chosen money. People equate success to having power and influence. Money can purchase and is also a byproduct of these two things.
YOUR society may have chosen money, but mine hasn't. Money does not make you anything other than rich.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #78
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
YOUR society may have chosen money, but mine hasn't. Money does not make you anything other than rich.
You are so thick sometimes. You just proved his point. You equate "rich" with money, and that is his point. On a personal level, some people equate rich with having a loving family. Some equate it with having lots of cats. Some with money. Some with accomplishments. Some with education. Your statement only proves his point that in America, the societal barometer for "rich" is money.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #79
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Fvck the rich.
Hypocrite.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #80
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
You and I agree on 99% of stuff as you can see and I agree with the core of your statement, that in our society as a whole money is the barometer. However, personally to me it is only part of it. We all have our personal heroes. To me it is more than money but also your accomplishments in life. Some, including me would be proud of myself if I provided my family with a great life, spent lots of time with my wife and kids, traveled a lot, etc. I would not want to give that up for a fatter bank account (often to get one you need to give up a lot of the other, as the one thing you can make more of us time.) I don't look up to warren buffet whatsoever but I do look up to someone like Ranulph Fiennes (polar explorer.) I do admire a hardworking farmer a lot more than some sleazeball on Wall Street. To me personally, the barometer of success is the situation of the person. A hardworking, proud, happy person is a bigger role model for me than some big time big law partner that works 20 hour days, neglects his wife and kids, and drinks a bottle of scotch over the course of the work day. On the societal whole though, you are right, we have no other way to measure success other than wealth.

Right, that's the point I was trying to make. On an individual level, people can be wealthy in many ways. Our society as a whole has chosen monetary wealth. There isn't much better choice, given that you an directly exchange your productive worth for money which has equal intrinsic value.

I admire Steve Jobs, not because of his wealth, but because of his impact on the world, the philosophy he promoted and because of his personality. Money has almost nothing to do with it, other than the fact that we would know nothing of Jobs without his successful company.

At my current stage of life, I'm not interested in kids or family. In fact, having to fain interest in any single person for too long bores me to death. I like to spend time introverted, with my thoughts. Of course in order to do this, I require several nice pieces of property all with different magnificent views and nice German cars in the garage of each property so I can enjoy my commute as well. To each his own, right?

Quote:
See below:

Quote:
You are so thick sometimes. You just proved his point. You equate "rich" with money, and that is his point. On a personal level, some people equate rich with having a loving family. Some equate it with having lots of cats. Some with money. Some with accomplishments. Some with education. Your statement only proves his point that in America, the societal barometer for "rich" is money.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i