E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Came up with a new program

I made this up over the last 2 days.

My goal is to get bigger and stronger. I was following CrossFit Football but there's too much conditioning for me. I don't care too much about that right now. I have been increasing my lifts but I think something like this will be better. Keeping it simple and fun.

1x5+ means at least 5 reps but as many over 5 as you can get.

http://doehla.blogspot.com/

Monday
2x5,1x5+ Back Squats + 5lbs per workout
5x3 Pause Front Squats
3x5 Press+Max rep Push Press
3x12 KB Press
3x Max rep Ring Dips

Tuesday
1x5 Deadlift
50 Pull Ups
3x10 Barbell Row
3x12 Dumbbell Curl
400 Yards of 70lb KB Farmer Carries

Wednesday
Off

Thursday
2x5,1x5+ Back Squat +5lbs per workout
5x10 Back Squat
2x5, 1x5+ Push Press
3x Max Rep Handstand Push Ups + max hold on last rep
100 Ring Push Ups

Friday
Clean work. Heavy Singles, triples, complexes. Play it by ear.
3x10 Romanian Deadlift
50 Chin Ups
3x15 KB Rows
400 Yards of 70lb KB Farmer Carries

Saturday
Sled and Sprint work

I plan on eating a lot of food. I will not be super clean since I need a lot of cals. I'm not too concern with being lean but I also don't want to gain too much fat. This plan will go for 3 months minimum. I need to commit to it and put in the effort. If I do this plan and eat right I will gain strength and no longer be embarrassed by my child-like squat.

Current lifts:
Back Squat- 280
Front Squat- 240
Press- 165
Push Press- 195
Deadlift- 405
Clean- 215

#absareoverrated
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
I like this a lot, I may start to double up on my compound lifts after my GORUCK. As of now I'm only doing one compound lift a day.

I am doing abmat sit ups every day now, I just want to strengthen my core.

What weights are you going to start with?

Last edited by bgsmith; 05-22-2014 at 02:32 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
I like this a lot, I may start to double up on my compound lifts after my GORUCK. As of now I'm only doing one compound lift a day.

I am doing abmat sit ups every day now, I just want to strengthen my core.

What weights are you going to start with?
Dropping down a bit. I'm due for 3x5 with 250 but with 10lb increases weekly and the goal of going for 5+ reps I'm dropping to 205.

Front squat will probably be 155

5x10 will start with 155

Press 120
push press 150
dead 305

Think that's most of it.

Lots of volume in this which I need. Not to sound like a douche but CFFB just doesn't seem like enough for me. I feel unfulfilled sometimes.

Last edited by DylloS; 05-22-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post

Lots of volume in this which I need. Not to sound like a douche but CFFB just doesn't seem like enough for me. I feel unfulfilled sometimes.
Not that I am following CFFB, but my workouts are based on that type of programming and I agree, I always find myself looking to do more each day in the gym.

I'm going to continue to up my conditioning and then add more compound stuff in there later on.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Not saying the program is not good or won't work, but why not try a dedicated squat program? There is a few at allthingsgym.com and catalyst athletics, comes with periodization charts, etc. You enter your maxes, and it'll spit out the numbers for you. Or you may just want to adapt those numbers into your program.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Not saying the program is not good or won't work, but why not try a dedicated squat program? There is a few at allthingsgym.com and catalyst athletics, comes with periodization charts, etc. You enter your maxes, and it'll spit out the numbers for you. Or you may just want to adapt those numbers into your program.
Oh I know that but that takes the fun out of it for me. I also want to be a guinea pig. I know all about the other programs out there but don't want to had over the reigns.
This is the description from the blog

So, I need to get stronger. That's all I care about right now. Burpee times, quick metcons, and other conditioning can take the back seat. There are a ton of great programs out there but I like programming and want to do it myself. I'm curious what I'm capable of with my own program. I need to lift more and here's how I plan on doing it.

Last edited by DylloS; 05-22-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Not that I am following CFFB, but my workouts are based on that type of programming and I agree, I always find myself looking to do more each day in the gym.

I'm going to continue to up my conditioning and then add more compound stuff in there later on.
right. This uses the template of CFFB with the squats and press pairing, wednesday and sunday off, and deads on tuesday, cleans on friday.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
crapload of legs, gotta give them time to heal/grow ya know?

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i

I think you'll see good results with this. And I think 3 months is a good cutoff. After that you'll start to feel the effects and overuse injuries of such a high volume program.

I got away with deadlifting heavy 3x a week and squatting heavy 2x a week for 16 weeks. Then I was a train wreck... Haha

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Leezy321; 05-22-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
crapload of legs, gotta give them time to heal/grow ya know?

I think I'll be ok. Today was rough but I lived. Parts of my legs were working that I've never felt. There are plenty of programs that have two heavy leg days.

Back squat
205lbs
2x5
1x5+ (as many reps over 5 as possible)
I got 13

Then
5x10 squats with 155
The burn

3x5 push press

3x12 KB Press 35lbs

100 ring push ups

This new program is going to kick my ass. I think this is what I need to get over the plateaus.

Last edited by DylloS; 05-22-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
DylloS

http://doehla.blogspot.com/2014/05/f...52314.html?m=1

Old 05-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
3 to 6 weeks... That's all I'm giving you before you decide to switch things up

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:39 AM   #13
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
3 to 6 weeks... That's all I'm giving you before you decide to switch things up

Nah son! Drunk

Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
DylloS

Really loving this new program. The workouts are long but I think this is what I need.

Back Squats
2x5 210lbs
1x10 210lbs

Very happy with this. I didn't think I could get 10reps

Front Squat
5x3 3 sec pause
Pretty easy

Press
2x5 115lbs
1x10 115lbs

KB Press
3x12 35lbs

3 sets if Ring Dip

Last edited by DylloS; 05-27-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
bimmerchop

The Back Squat is one of those lifts where you almost always surprise yourself... Working past what you think your threshold is.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #16
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
The Back Squat is one of those lifts where you almost always surprise yourself... Working past what you think your threshold is.
So awesome man. I love the wendler style + sets.

Saturday I played with my sled a lot. Did 5 50m sprints with +70lbs. Kicked the sh1t out of me. I need to get my work capacity up for this thing.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #17
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
thoughts on these articles?

http://erinsimmonsfitness.me/2014/04...t-do-crossfit/

http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/b...njuries-140212
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
DylloS

typical bullsh1t we see over and over. You see what I do, you can see how I program my classes. If anything looks unsafe you let me know.

Power lifters, and runners get more injuries but why don't we hear about all that? Because CF is "extreme" and popular.

Anything can get you injured. Sh1t happens. The local CF here recently had a kid break his wrist on a clean. Now, I'd say "Weightlifting" injured him but because he was in a CF gym CF is dangerous.

It's exhausting to constantly defend what I do to people that have never experienced it.
What I tell people is what's more dangerous, sitting on the couch the rest of your life or coming to workout.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/crossfit-apology

The comments about the weekend cert are true but why don't we talk about the 16 other certs that all you have to do is read a book and take a test. You literally get no hands on training. I was trained by some of the best in the world. What's better, getting taught baseball by Jeter or reading a book about playing it?

The second article is just dumb.

This girl said this...

My history with back problems probably didn't help, but I believe there were multiple causes for my injury -- and many of them have to do with the culture of CrossFit itself.

Ok so you had back problems...

Then she said this.

Meanwhile, the trainers encourage you to add more and more weight, to finish the exercises more and more quickly -- but they can't supervise you closely.

No, good trainers don't. And I've yet to meet or hear about a CF trainer doing things unsafe. I will never rush someone or ask them to add more and more weight.

And here's what I wrote on the tnation page when they linked the article...

Thank you for this. It gets exhausting defending what it is we do when most people have never tried it and only see some bonehead in a youtube video doing something dumb. The truth is, in the world of fitness most people will never be elite so lets stop talking about the average CF body. Lets take a stroll through any commercial gym and see what we find. You want to talk form, go to Golds and find me more than a handful of people squatting below parallel How about that kid that's learning to deadlift with no instruction looking like a camel. I don't allow that. CrossFit gets people working out that typically don't have a lot of motivation to swipe into Planet Fitness by themselves. Half my members admit to me time after time that they'd probably be doing nothing if it weren't for CF. Some of these people are doing better than I am and I love to see it. The competitive spirit in me pushes me even harder. We do things smart and safe with form being #1 at all times. The day starts with strength work with linear progression planned weekly and then low skill wods relating to strength work. Every time I see a post about CF it's filled with ignorant posts. Lets all just shut the hell up and respect the fact that people are getting in shape. CrossFit isn't a bad thing. A bad coach is a bad thing.

Last edited by DylloS; 05-27-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
DylloS

Also a little funny. She doesn't do CF...

She just does exactly what a CF box would program and doesn't use the name.

Last edited by DylloS; 05-27-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #20
bimmerchop

BTW... I don't think I mentioned this to you yet, but I just started coaching at a crossfit gym

euro.techniks