E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #61
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Supersetting incline bench BB with incline DB means I won't be lifting heavy. So reduce the weights and increase reps? I'll go heavy on the flat bench.
I know if I superset the same muscle group it would be counter productive. I would half ass both sets in terms of weight because it would be too much.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #62
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Maybe because he is black and he does not know that most people are not naturally as strong as he is. lol

But yes, I agree with you, that's why I said I have to go low weight/high reps if I superset the same muscle group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I know if I superset the same muscle group it would be counter productive. I would half ass both sets in terms of weight because it would be too much.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #63
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
my current chest workout for an intermediate lifter (worksets), may give some ideas

if you hit the max reps for any exercise, you go up in weight, unless you just barely made it (and won't get their next set)

barbell flat bench - 4 sets of 4-6 reps.
dumbbell incline bench - 4 sets of 6-8 reps.
chest flies - 4 sets of 6-8 reps
cable flies - 4 sets of 12-15 reps (slow and concentrated, focusing on keeping shoulders back and chest under tension... this should cause you extreme "pain" on final reps)

i dont know if im on the supersetting board for this guy, think that would be overkill for him?? don't want to overtrain, but he definitely is undertraining right now
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #64
z00

This workout has one extra set per exercise but one less exercise than mine. 4 vs 5 total. How is it any different? At the end, it has one extra set total. Dips is important. I would not do 2 flies exercises. 1 flies and 1 dips.

So in summary, if I keep my current workout, just make it 4 sets instead of 3 it looks like it'll get to high volume m3Inline6 is talking about.

BTW, going heaving is the way to go. High reps on major muscles don't do me any good. So I do DB/BB 5-8 reps, cable at 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
my current chest workout for an intermediate lifter (worksets), may give some ideas

if you hit the max reps for any exercise, you go up in weight, unless you just barely made it (and won't get their next set)

barbell flat bench - 4 sets of 4-6 reps.
dumbbell incline bench - 4 sets of 6-8 reps.
chest flies - 4 sets of 6-8 reps
cable flies - 4 sets of 12-15 reps (slow and concentrated, focusing on keeping shoulders back and chest under tension... this should cause you extreme "pain" on final reps)

i dont know if im on the supersetting board for this guy, think that would be overkill for him?? don't want to overtrain, but he definitely is undertraining right now

Last edited by z00; 01-25-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #65
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Supersetting incline bench BB with incline DB means I won't be lifting heavy. So reduce the weights and increase reps? I'll go heavy on the flat bench.
You don't have to lift heavy; lift moderately. Supersetting doesn't necessitate heavy lifting at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
It was just an example, but if done correctly, it can be extremely beneficial.

Quote:
Maybe because he is black and he does not know that most people are not naturally as strong as he is. lol

But yes, I agree with you, that's why I said I have to go low weight/high reps if I superset the same muscle group.
LOL! Nice try! Jeremy and Greg are far stronger than I am, and neither have any traces of melanin in their skin.

Like I said, you don't need to lift heavy every set (..I only do ONE heavy set per compound exercise), and you don't need to do low weight/high reps all of the time either, but there is a place for it. What you NEED is BALANCE. There are many ways/methods of supersetting. Broaden your horizons. It's these limits that you place on yourself that keep you from making gains. I'm not going to bother preaching endlessly, but I will look back at this in 6 months time......or 1 year's time......when you still look largely the same (..or are lifting similar numbers) and I'm going to tell you that you should have listened.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-25-2013 at 11:52 AM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #66
dabears

I'm probably going to get flamed, but I'm of the belief that a workout should be 60 minutes or less. Anymore, and you are being inefficient. At the end of the day, muscle growth will come from total time under tension. Adding additional sets / reps achieves this, but at the cost of significant TIME. Why not increase your time under tension by focusing on the concentric (contracting), eccentric (relaxing), and isometric (holding steady) portions of the lift. For example on your bench, you lower the weight for 4 seconds (concentric portion), hold it on your chest for 1 second (isometric), and then push it up in 2 seconds (eccentric portion). This comes at a much lower "time" cost.

The end goal is to increase your time under tension, and by being more efficient with your current sets you can achieve this without adding additional volume (time).
Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #67
z00

I do listen, I have made some gains by listening to you guys on this forum. I even switched my gym and it was well worth it.

I'll try the workout you suggested, it's just 5 sets instead of 3 to what I already do in addition to supersetting incline DB with BB. I could take a change of routine.

I was an RA in undergrad and listening is one of my best attributes, that's why babes love me, I listen to their daddy's problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
You don't have to lift heavy; lift moderately. Supersetting doesn't necessitate heavy lifting at all.

It was just an example, but if done correctly, it can be extremely beneficial.

LOL! Nice try! Jeremy and Greg are far stronger than I am, and neither have any traces of melanin in their skin.

Like I said, you don't need to lift heavy every set (..I only do ONE heavy set per compound exercise), and you don't need to do low weight/high reps all of the time either, but there is a place for it. What you NEED is BALANCE. There are many ways/methods of supersetting. Broaden your horizons. It's these limits that you place on yourself that keep you from making gains. I'm not going to bother preaching endlessly, but I will look back at this in 6 months time......or 1 year's time......when you still look largely the same (..or are lifting similar numbers) and I'm going to tell you that you should have listened.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #68
z00

I agree with you, right now my workout is 45-60min depending if I had enough food and rest. With heavy seats 4-6 reps, I need to rest 2-3 min, if I reduce weights I'll just need 1min of rest. I can still finish the sample workout m3inline6 suggested under an hour if I use 10lbs less.

What you said is good advice, I had a personal trainer 2 years ago and he is a big believer of what you said. But I'm inpatient, I would rather lift more than time each rep, it's mentally exhausting. I think it's good to do both.

Good job on explaining eccentric, concentric, and isometric. Not many people can make it this simple.

Quote:
I'm probably going to get flamed, but I'm of the belief that a workout should be 60 minutes or less. Anymore, and you are being inefficient. At the end of the day, muscle growth will come from total time under tension. Adding additional sets / reps achieves this, but at the cost of significant TIME. Why not increase your time under tension by focusing on the concentric (contracting), eccentric (relaxing), and isometric (holding steady) portions of the lift. For example on your bench, you lower the weight for 4 seconds (concentric portion), hold it on your chest for 1 second (isometric), and then push it up in 2 seconds (eccentric portion). This comes at a much lower "time" cost.

The end goal is to increase your time under tension, and by being more efficient with your current sets you can achieve this without adding additional volume (time).
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #69
M3Inline6

Quote:

I think that you're over-simplifying and over-analyzing the duration of the workout. I am always in the gym for more than 60 minutes total time. Between rest periods, foam rolling, getting water, taking a piss, etc....it all adds up. Sometimes I'll get through the identical workout in a shorter period of time, but I don't really care. All I care about is finishing the workout. If it takes 60 minutes...great! If it takes 90 minutes....great! You should always be focusing on the eccentric/concentric/isometric portions of a lift. Don't over-science the workout. Just lift!

You guys should be analysts rather than lifters.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-25-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #70
dabears

Quote:
I think that you're over-simplifying and over-analyzing the duration of the workout. I am always in the gym for more than 60 minutes total time. Between rest periods, foam rolling, getting water, taking a piss, etc....it all adds up. Sometimes I'll get through the identical workout in a shorter period of time, but I don't really care. All I care about is finishing the workout. If it takes 60 minutes...great! If it takes 90 minutes....great! You should always be focusing on the eccentric/concentric/isometric portions of a lift. Don't over-science the workout. Just lift!

You guys should be analysts rather than lifters.
I just meant the workout portion, and me too... I'd say total time is an hour and a half once I'm changed, warmed up etc.

I may do financial analysis for a living, how could you tell
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #71
M3Inline6

Quote:
I may do financial analysis for a living, how could you tell
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #72
dabears

Quote:
I love discussing this detailed stuff for sure, but I never lose focus of the big picture... Eat big and train hard with utmost intensity consistently and you will see positive results.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #73
M3Inline6

Quote:
I love discussing this detailed stuff for sure, but I never lose focus of the big picture... Eat big and train hard with utmost intensity consistently and you will see positive results.
Honestly man, if you didn't do it, nobody else would bother (..except maybe DylloS). LOL! It's just too time consuming and convoluted.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 01-25-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #74
z00

Legs:

Could barely walk to my car from the gym.

Front squats:
1 x 5 145lbs
3 x 7 135lbs

Back squats:
1 x 5 165lbs
2 x 7 165lbs
1 x 8 155lbs

Lounges:
2 x 5 80lbs
1 x 3 80lbs

Superset with

Calves
3 x 10 200lbs

Stiff-legged DL
3 x 10 90lbs
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #75
z00

Had to take 2 days off after legs day. Good shoulders workout today, with warming up and foam rolling, 60 min total time.

Standing Military press
2 x 7 90lbs
1 x 7 95lbs

Standing behind head presses
2 x 7 85lbs
1 x 6 90lbs

front wide raises
3 x 10 20lbs

side delts with palms in
3 x 10 10lbs

BB rows
1 x 10 50lbs
2 x 10 70lbs

inclined bench rear delts
1 x 12 15lbs
2 x 10 30lbs
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #76
z00

Did not sleep nor eat well today but still proud of my numbers.

Back

Deadlifts
1 x 6 225lbs
1 x 6 245lbs
1 x 5 265lbs

pull-ups 1 x 8, 1 x 7 with 30lbs, 1 x 9 body weight
chin-ups 1 x 6 with 30lbs, 1 x 8 body weight

T-bar rows
1 x 4 105bs
2 x 6 100bs

21's
2 x 21 135lbs (7 reps of each: wide grip, close grip palms in, close grip palms out)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #77
z00

Screwed up day. Gym closed at 9 instead of 10. Did half a workout. What a waste of time and gas.

Chest

BB bench press
1 x 1 175lbs
1 x 4 155lbs
1 x 8 135lbs

DB incline press
1 x 6 65lbs each arm
2 x 7 60lbs

DB incline press
1 x 10 95lbs
Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #78
z00

Did the second part of my chest workout and some cardio.

Chest
DB incline
1 x 10 25lbs
2 x 10 30lbs

Dips with 30lbs
1 x 15
1 x 12
1 x 9

Cardio, 4 circuits while wearing 30lbs vest

100 rope jump
10 kicks on kicking bag per foot
40sec planks
5 pushups

Last edited by z00; 02-03-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #79
z00

Legs:

Front squats:
1 x 3 145lbs
1 x 4 145lbs
3 x 6 135lbs

Back squats:
3 x 15 135lbs

BB Lounges:
2 x 5 70lbs

Superset with

Stiff-legged DL
3 x 10 90lbs
Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #80
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Did the second part of my chest workout and some cardio.

Chest
DB incline
1 x 10 25lbs
2 x 10 30lbs

Dips with 30lbs
1 x 15
1 x 12
1 x 9

Cardio, 4 circuits while wearing 30lbs vest

100 rope jump
10 kicks on kicking bag per foot
40sec planks
5 pushups
FYI, if you ever do half a workout, don't finish it the next day. Just skip it until next week or until you cycle to that day again.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote