E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #81
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Ok, I was actually thinking whether to skip it or do it the next day. So Skipping is the answer. Any specific reasoning behind that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
FYI, if you ever do half a workout, don't finish it the next day. Just skip it until next week or until you cycle to that day again.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #82
z00

After some healthy pancake 1100 calorie meal, I had an awesome shoulders workout. Need to eat more.

Seated Military press
1 x 8 85lbs
2 x 8 95lbs

Standing behind head presses
3 x 6 90lbs

front wide raises
3 x 8 25lbs

side delts with palms in
3 x 10 15lbs

BB rows rear delts/trap
3 x 10 95lbs

inclined bench DB rear delts
3 x 10 20lbs

Tris/Bis superset

BB curls
3 x 8 80lbs

Close grip presses
2 x 8 105lbs
1 x 8 85lbs
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #83
z00

Back

Deadlifts
1 x 6 225lbs
1 x 4 275lbs
1 x 2 295lbs
1 x 4 275lbs
1 x 8 225lbs

pull-ups 1 x 12 body weight

T-bar rows
1 x 8 100bs
2 x 6 110bs

21's
2 x 21 135lbs (7 reps of each: wide grip, close grip palms in, close grip palms out)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #84
z00

Chest

Incline DB press
2 x 5 65lbs
1 x 6 65lbs

BB bench press
3 x 5 155lbs

Dips with 30lbs
1 x 15
2 x 11

Pushups with 30 lbs
1 x 8
1 x 6

Cable flies
3 x 10 40lbs

Cable presses with palms out
3 x 10 60lbs

Abs with 30lbs:

planks, 2 x 35sec
Bench crunches 2 x 8
Leg ups 2 x 15
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #85
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Chest

Incline DB press
2 x 5 65lbs
1 x 6 65lbs

BB bench press
3 x 5 155lbs

Dips with 30lbs
1 x 15
2 x 11

Pushups with 30 lbs
1 x 8
1 x 6

Cable flies
3 x 10 40lbs

Cable presses with palms out
3 x 10 60lbs

Abs with 30lbs:

planks, 2 x 35sec
Bench crunches 2 x 8
Leg ups 2 x 15
Sounds like a solid past few days! Nice work on the deadlifts, those are some pretty good numbers.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #86
z00

Deadlifts and front squats have been improving fast (adding about 5 lbs every 1-2 weeks) but the rest of exercises are improving about 3x slower. Which kills motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Sounds like a solid past few days! Nice work on the deadlifts, those are some pretty good numbers.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #87
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Deadlifts and front squats have been improving fast (adding about 5 lbs every 1-2 weeks) but the rest of exercises are improving about 3x slower. Which kills motivation.
that's typical. If you could add 5lbs every week you'd be benching and curling 400lbs in a matter of a year.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #88
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
yeah that shouldn't be killing your motivation, you might need to lower expectations. As long as I am making progress in some form week in and week out I am happy and continue to stay motivated.

If I don't make progress, I get pissed off and even more motivated to eat more and lift better.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #89
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
that's typical. If you could add 5lbs every week you'd be benching and curling 400lbs in a matter of a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
yeah that shouldn't be killing your motivation, you might need to lower expectations. As long as I am making progress in some form week in and week out I am happy and continue to stay motivated.

If I don't make progress, I get pissed off and even more motivated to eat more and lift better.

I feel that my chest is my weakest link, With DBs I do 70lbs (each hand) 6 times. On BB total of (with bar) 155lbs 5 times. Compared to my deadlifts, squats, and pull-ups it does not make sense. Maybe because I have long arms but I don't like to make up excuses for not improving. I guess having high expectations does not help either. In last 2 months I see good changes in my body comps, I'll upload some pics after work.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #90
dabears

For comparison sakes (and we have similar body type, long arms etc)

My current 5 rep maxes

Bench : 175 x 5
Squat : 235 x 5
Deadlift: 290 x 5

I've easily spent the most time working out my chest over the years, either from skipping workouts or being dumb etc. Spent the past few months catching up squats & deadlifts, they are at a decent point now.

It usually takes me a couple weeks to move up 5 lbs in barbell bench press where I can at least 5 reps. Where as with deadlifts and squats I'm going up almost every week.

As long as you see progress (# of reps or weight going up) that means you are getting stronger. Numbers are strictly arbitrary.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #91
DylloS

just curious what arm size your guys dress shirts are. Mine are 34/35. Would that be "long". Not like I care. I'm just curious since I'm in the same boat as you guys in terms of bench strength.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #92
z00

Quote:
For comparison sakes (and we have similar body type, long arms etc)

My current 5 rep maxes

Bench : 175 x 5
Squat : 235 x 5
Deadlift: 290 x 5

I've easily spent the most time working out my chest over the years, either from skipping workouts or being dumb etc. Spent the past few months catching up squats & deadlifts, they are at a decent point now.

It usually takes me a couple weeks to move up 5 lbs in barbell bench press where I can at least 5 reps. Where as with deadlifts and squats I'm going up almost every week.

As long as you see progress (# of reps or weight going up) that means you are getting stronger. Numbers are strictly arbitrary.
You weigh 180lbs right? I'm 164lbs, 5'11.5". Our numbers are very close, I'm higher on deadlifts, you're higher on bench, we're the same on squats. This explains it, I just started doing BB bench press, it was all DBs. I feel that my shoulders get worked out more on BB. I prefer DBs, but it's good to do some BB to change up the workouts.

I see progress, but I guess it's slower than what's expected. Having expectations is a bad idea in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
just curious what arm size your guys dress shirts are. Mine are 34/35. Would that be "long". Not like I care. I'm just curious since I'm in the same boat as you guys in terms of bench strength.
It's tricky to base arms reach on dress shirt size. I wear Fitted Express small size, Armani Med, not sure how that compares to 34/35.

If you stand straight, put your hands flat on side of your thighs. My fingertips are about 6.2 inches above my kneecap.

Another way is to measure your horizontal width, stand with arms raised shoulder level, measure distance from the middle fingertip on one hand to the other. Compare the result with your height and check the ratio.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #93
dabears

Quote:
You weigh 180lbs right? I'm 164lbs, 5'11.5". Our numbers are very close, I'm higher on deadlifts, you're higher on bench, we're the same on squats. This explains it, I just started doing BB bench press, it was all DBs. I feel that my shoulders get worked out more on BB. I prefer DBs, but it's good to do some BB to change up the workouts.

I see progress, but I guess it's slower than what's expected. Having expectations is a bad idea in life.
Yeah, I just broke 180 last week. I don't think you can say 295 x 2 is higher than 290 x 5 (if that's what you were referring to); haven't seen a squat number from you lately so can't compare that. Have you really moved up from 175 x 4 to 235 x 5 in the past two months? That's impressive

What shoulder work have you been doing?

I'm at roughly 15% bf right now so 153 lbs of lean mass for comparisons sake.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #94
DylloS

Quote:

It's tricky to base arms reach on dress shirt size. I wear Fitted Express small size, Armani Med, not sure how that compares to 34/35.

If you stand straight, put your hands flat on side of your thighs. My fingertips are about 6.2 inches above my kneecap.

Another way is to measure your horizontal width, stand with arms raised shoulder level, measure distance from the middle fingertip on one hand to the other. Compare the result with your height and check the ratio.
just measured mine. 6.5-7" from my knee cap
Old 02-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #95
dabears

I'm 6" just measured as well. luckily I don't look "lanky" but I definitely have long arms and legs. I blame my shoulders being weaker than chest for my less than stellar bench performance moreso than longer ROM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #96
DylloS

Quote:
I'm 6" just measured as well. luckily I don't look "lanky" but I definitely have long arms and legs. I blame my shoulders being weaker than chest for my less than stellar bench performance moreso than longer ROM.
yea I dont blame my arms for anything. If I can't lift it I can't lift it. There is no class for longer armed people lol.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #97
z00

My number was from smith machine squats which cannot be compared to BB squats. So I take that back I have not tried my max 5 on BB squat, I'll be doing 145lbs x 15 on next legs day

My front squats jumped from 95lbs to 135lbs in 2 months. You have 16lbs over me, so you better be lifting more than me

I just took this pic on my rest day and after eating 1lb of chicken + 1lb of veggies, I think I'm down to 13BF. Just guessing as I did not measure it. When my stomach is not full I see 4 top abs lol

My goal is to gain 6 lbs of muscle by end of spring. I don't think I'm eating enough, and my food is too clean.

Quote:
Yeah, I just broke 180 last week. I don't think you can say 295 x 2 is higher than 290 x 5 (if that's what you were referring to); haven't seen a squat number from you lately so can't compare that. Have you really moved up from 175 x 4 to 235 x 5 in the past two months? That's impressive

What shoulder work have you been doing?

I'm at roughly 15% bf right now so 153 lbs of lean mass for comparisons sake.

Last edited by z00; 02-11-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #98
dabears

Yeah that's why I was surprised, since I have more weight.

Stop guessing and start tracking. Its realistically the only way to start understanding just how many calories you are getting. I believe everyone should do this to learn what makes up the foods you eat... it sets you up for a lifetime of success.

What's going to be a bigger waste of time, the 5 minutes a day it takes to track your food or the weeks & months you wasted working out and not eating enough to create growth?

You can make great gains on "clean" food, but you need to eat a LOT of it. Something most people would have difficulty doing.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #99
z00

Quote:
Yeah that's why I was surprised, since I have more weight.

Stop guessing and start tracking. Its realistically the only way to start understanding just how many calories you are getting. I believe everyone should do this to learn what makes up the foods you eat... it sets you up for a lifetime of success.

What's going to be a bigger waste of time, the 5 minutes a day it takes to track your food or the weeks & months you wasted working out and not eating enough to create growth?

You can make great gains on "clean" food, but you need to eat a LOT of it. Something most people would have difficulty doing.
I did track via my phone for a couple of days. Then once I realized how much food I need I stopped tracking and kept following the same calories needs. But I think 3100 on workout days, 2600 on rest days are too low for me. I tried a couple of different calorie calculators and these are numbers I get. I'm afraid if I eat more than that I'll get fat. My stomach is sensitive with IBS so I'm forced to eat clean food. I get 200g of protein a day, 75% of it from natural foods (meat, chicken, seeds/nuts, and fish). Rest of it from protein powder.

Do I have an ectomorph body type?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #100
dabears

Quote:
I did track via my phone for a couple of days. Then once I realized how much food I need I stopped tracking and kept following the same calories needs. But I think 3100 on workout days, 2600 on rest days are too low for me. I tried a couple of different calorie calculators and these are numbers I get. I'm afraid if I eat more than that I'll get fat. My stomach is sensitive with IBS so I'm forced to eat clean food. I get 200g of protein a day, 75% of it from natural foods (meat, chicken, seeds/nuts, and fish). Rest of it from protein powder.

Do I have an ectomorph body type?
Why do you think 3100 calories is too low for you? You are seeing strength gains correct? What is the issue?

No based on your pics there is no way you are an ectomorph. I know several ectomorph's personally and you don't match the bodytype.

It is possible to be a mix of the three body types, but I think you aren't getting the calories you think you are (or tracked them incorrectly).