E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #141
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
After 2 weeks of doing high reps back squats today my numbers jumped 10lbs with heavy weights.

Using Olympic grip instead of cross over grip on front squat felt so much better I got 1 more rep than last time.

Legs

Front squats
1 x 5 155lbs
2 x 4 155lbs

Back squats
2 x 8 185lbs
2 x 4 205lbs
1 x 5 205lbs

Lounges
2 x 10 30lbs DBs (per leg)

Lying leg curls
1 x 10 110lbs
2 x 9 120lbs

Romanian deadlift (only 1 set as my lower back was hurting, so I stopped, pain went away after foam rolling)
1 x 10 60lbs

I still think that your volume is too low, but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't achieve growth on so few reps.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-20-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361405078
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #142
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Are you referring to F/B squats volume? Would 5 sets of each be better? I have been alternating between heavy weights and high reps for back squats with 5 sets. Front squats I do 3 heavy sets as there is no point in doing high reps (at least that's the gist I got from my coaches and online).

As always, I'm happy to hear how would you change my workout volume? With details as you did for back plz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I still think that your volume is too low, but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't achieve growth on so few reps.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #143
M3Inline6

Quote:
Are you referring to F/B squats volume? Would 5 sets of each be better? I have been alternating between heavy weights and high reps for back squats with 5 sets. Front squats I do 3 heavy sets as there is no point in doing high reps (at least that's the gist I got from my coaches and online).

As always, I'm happy to hear how would you change my workout volume? With details as you did for back plz.

Yes, I'm referring to your F/B squat volume. Maybe 4 to 5 sets of each, or a prescribed number of reps. It just depends on how you want to craft your workout. I don't personally front squat the same day that I back squat, but it's because of the volume/number of actual reps (..and varying weights) that I perform.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #144
z00

I know you go for 50 reps. But I cannot do 50 for front squats and 50 back squats especially if I go heavy.

I like to do legs with f/b squats all in one day. I have 43 total reps of f/b squats on heavy days. On high rep days I have 65 reps.

What range of reps should I aim for for heavy and high reps days?

Quote:
Yes, I'm referring to your F/B squat volume. Maybe 4 to 5 sets of each, or a prescribed number of reps. It just depends on how you want to craft your workout. I don't personally front squat the same day that I back squat, but it's because of the volume/number of actual reps (..and varying weights) that I perform.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #145
M3Inline6

Quote:
I know you go for 50 reps. But I cannot do 50 for front squats and 50 back squats especially if I go heavy.

What range of reps should I aim for for heavy and high reps days?
Lighten the weight! Rest a lil' longer between sets. There are lots of ways to get in your 50 (..if that's what you want to do).

As far as the rep range, that's up to you. I do 50+ reps regardless of whether it's a heavy or high rep day, I just adjust weight/rest time/rep amount/etc. There are plenty of ways to keep things interesting.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #146
z00

So you're saying I should be getting 100 reps total for f/b squats whether heavy or light weights?

Quote:
Lighten the weight! Rest a lil' longer between sets. There are lots of ways to get in your 50 (..if that's what you want to do).

As far as the rep range, that's up to you. I do 50+ reps regardless of whether it's a heavy or high rep day, I just adjust weight/rest time/rep amount/etc. There are plenty of ways to keep things interesting.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #147
M3Inline6

Quote:
So you're saying I should be getting 100 reps total for f/b squats whether heavy or light weights?
I'm not saying you "should" do anything. I'm just merely saying that you need more volume.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #148
z00

I know, but I'm trying to get a specific number for volume that you think would be right for my goals and body size.

Quote:
I'm not saying you "should" do anything. I'm just merely saying that you need more volume.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #149
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
I know, but I'm trying to get a specific number for volume that you think would be right for my goals and body size.
Stop over thinking things. Lift heavy and eat a lot. It will come.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #150
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Stop over thinking things. Lift heavy and eat a lot. It will come.
^^^This!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #151
DylloS

Quote:
^^^This!
lol people will drive themselves nuts trying to figure out the perfect routine. I'm assuming he's listening to you a lot because of your look and strength but he's forgetting not everyone is the same. If you're not growing or getting stronger but still lifting heavy and often, and sleeping right you need to eat more. It's pretty simple. Since I started stuffing my face I've gained a nice amount of weight. When I go out to eat with friends I usually alway order a big app and big meal for myself. I eat to the point of not wanting to move for an hour lol.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #152
M3Inline6

Quote:
lol people will drive themselves nuts trying to figure out the perfect routine. I'm assuming he's listening to you a lot because of your look and strength but he's forgetting not everyone is the same. If you're not growing or getting stronger but still lifting heavy and often, and sleeping right you need to eat more. It's pretty simple. Since I started stuffing my face I've gained a nice amount of weight. When I go out to eat with friends I usually alway order a big app and big meal for myself. I eat to the point of not wanting to move for an hour lol.

You're probably right! I just want to stress the point to him that he just needs more volume if he wants those muscles to grow. I am completely wrecked today and I can't wait to stuff my face later. I think I did a total of 60 back squats (..heaviest was 405 lbs.), 50 power cleans, 90 chin-ups (..some weighted, some not), and 80-ish cable chest flies yesterday....

...then did 15 back walkovers, 10 back handsprings, held handstands for long periods of time, etc. I am wrecked.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #153
DylloS

Quote:
You're probably right! I just want to stress the point to him that he just needs more volume if he wants those muscles to grow. I am completely wrecked today and I can't wait to stuff my face later. I think I did a total of 60 back squats (..heaviest was 405 lbs.), 50 power cleans, 90 chin-ups (..some weighted, some not), and 80-ish cable chest flies yesterday....

...then did 15 back walkovers, 10 back handsprings, held handstands for long periods of time, etc. I am wrecked.
that is a lot. How long did that take you? What was the Clean weights? God damn I wish my back wasn't hurt. I'm doing arm stuff today. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

Last edited by DylloS; 02-21-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #154
M3Inline6

Quote:
that is a lot. How long did that take you? What was the Clean weights? God damn I wish my back wasn't hurt. I'm doing arm stuff today. It shouldn't be a problem at all.
This was my workout from yesterday:

Squats:
  • 135 lbs. (3 x 10 reps...warm-up)
  • 225 lbs. (1 x 10 reps)
  • 315 lbs. (1 x 4 reps)
  • 405 lbs. (1 x 3 reps)
  • 225 lbs. (4 x 9 reps)

...Total = 83 reps (..including warm-up sets)

Power Cleans:
  • 175 lbs. (10 x 5 reps)

...Total = 50 reps

Chin-ups:
  • 70 lbs. (4 x 6 reps)
  • body weight (1 x 17 reps)
  • body weight (2 x 10 reps)
  • body weight (3 x 7 reps)

...Total = 82 reps

Cable chest flies:
  • 20 lbs. (4 x 12 reps)
  • 30 lbs. (2 x 12 reps)
  • 20 lbs. (2 x 8 reps/negatives)

...Total = 88 reps

I didn't really time the actual workout. I was in the gym for about 3 hours, but that included messing around with the handstands/walkovers/flips, talking to my boys, talking to some chicks, etc.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-21-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361471824
Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #155
z00

I'm the type of person who likes to listen to different opinions, mix them with my own and adjust my decisions. Not just in lifting, but through out my life (career, relationships, etc...) this helps me. Some of my lifting days the volume sometimes does feel lower than it should be. Finding a good balance between lifting heavy and enough reps is tough.

Quote:
I have been growing and getting stronger, but slowly. Actually I'm surprised how strong I'm becoming for my body weight, I see guys much bigger than I'm at the gym and they lift less than I do especially on DLs, squats, and pullups/chinups. I'm happy with my progress but I'm always open to improvements.

I'm going to increase the volume on front squats so it's the same as back squats. I also feel that I need to change my leg exercises more often. I'm always pretty much doing front squats, back squats, lounges, and hamstrings (romanian DLs or leg curls)

-PS I don't include warmup sets in logs I post here as I don't think they count.

Quote:

Last edited by z00; 02-21-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #156
DylloS

looks good man. I never really count my reps. I want to power clean so bad right now lol
Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #157
M3Inline6

Quote:
-PS I don't include warmup sets in logs I post here as I don't think they count.
I don't count them towards my "workouts", but they count. If I'm moving weight, it counts!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #158
z00

M3Inline6, 3 hours that's why. I have a startup company and another full-time job. So with foam rolling and warm up, I finish all of my workouts in under 80 minutes. I talk to no body and I don't even listen to music so I stay focused. If I have the time to spend 3 hours, I could definitely do more volume because I can rest longer.

Last edited by z00; 02-21-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #159
z00

If that's the case then I do 20 reps extra for warmups for squats.

2 x 10 105lbs

Which brings my total reps counts to 83 on high rep days, 63 on heavy days.

Quote:
I don't count them towards my "workouts", but they count. If I'm moving weight, it counts!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #160
M3Inline6

Quote:
M3Inline6, 3 hours that's why. I have a startup company and another full-time job. So with foam rolling and warm up, I finish all of my workouts in under 80 minutes. I talk to no body and I don't even listen to music so I stay focused.
My workout wasn't 3 hours (..more than an hour of that time was spent bullsh|tting with my boys doing cartwheels, handstands, handstand push-ups, headstand push-ups, flips, etc.). My actual workout began at 6:15-ish and was finished before 8pm. When I'm by myself, I finish my workouts in less than 90 minutes. When I train with other people, it takes longer because of switching weight, waiting for them to complete their sets, helping with form, etc. It's for that reason that I do not train with people when I am on a limited time schedule.

P.S. You're not the only one with a full-time job and other obligations. I work 10 or 12 hour patrol shifts, teach Capoeira 3 days a week, train 2 days a week, etc.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-21-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361473518