E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-19-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
nikookar

My Ride: 320i
How to DIY replace and reprogram locking computer

When you have the crazy door unlocking problem chances are big you need to replace the door locking computer.

This computer is located behind the glovebox compartment. Removing 5 screws will remove the glovebox compartment. In a white tray you will see the top tray is filled with a white box with three cables.

Replace this computer with a used or new computer.

Now reprogramming your new computer:

- Make sure all doors are unlocked.
- Go sit inside your car.
- Close all doors.
- Set ignition key to position 1 (no more then 5 seconds) and switch off (now system is ready for initialisation. Start initialising keys within 10 seconds from here)
--key one-- Keep unlock key pressed while pressing lock key 3 times and let go of the unlock key. (the doors will lock and unlock when succesful otherwise start over)
--key two-- Keep unlock key pressed while pressing lock key 3 times and let go of the unlock key. (the doors will lock and unlock when succesful otherwise start over)
- Set ignition key to position 1 or any other position will end initialisation process.

It worked for me and keys are programmed and my doors are unlocking again and in costs me 30 minutes and 50 euro for the computer.
nikookar is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
HiMiles

My Ride: 99 328i
Locks

Do you happen to have the part # for that? Thanks
M
HiMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
duffsabot

My Ride: (american spec) 325i
is this for the auto lock at about 5mph?
duffsabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
Chriztofor

My Ride: 2000 323i (Auto)
Where do you buy the GM V as in "General Module"? Dealer only part?
Chriztofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
manydubs

My Ride: 2004 325i
Bavarian auto recyclers...
manydubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
nikookar

My Ride: 320i
Sorry for the late response. I didn't check this post in a long time.

Just go to the BMW dealer and ask the correct product number. I got a lock computer from a crashed car. I worked just fine.

This is post will resolve the problem when your car door won't unlock correctly.
nikookar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
PreppyR6

My Ride: shines like justice
how much is the replacement from bavarian auto recyclers
Old 08-02-2007, 03:01 AM   #8
sam

My Ride: E92 SB 335i
This was a great DIY....worked perfectly! This thread should be stickied!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
russmw

My Ride: 2000 318i SE
Just to add to this thread:

I had the same problem with my door locks which would lock 100% reliably but 99% of the time the remote would unalarm the car but not unlock it. By using the key to open the drivers door I could get in but the other doors wouldnt unlock this way or with the button in the centre console.

I removed the module that controls the locking and carefully sliced the top off of the 2 relays. Each realy has 2 sets of contacts (4 over all) and it works by using 2 sets for locking, 1 for unlocking and 1 for deadlocking.

On my car the deadlocking contacts had stopped working 100% so the doors wouldnt have a chance to unlock so I removed the deadlocking contact in the relay and it was a 100% reliable from then on.

I ordered a new relay and replaced the broken one and all has been fine since.
russmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:51 AM   #10
vids_blk323Ci
DFW

My Ride: JB 323Ci SP PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci
I guess there are various ways of doing this eh?

1. replace door lock computer

2. replace door lock actuator

3. repair door lock actuator like in post #9

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
bmw_dna
Modded

My Ride: e60 525 - e46 vert
it happens to be this part?

BASIC MODULE
611-35-6-963-338
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	237795  
bmw_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:39 AM   #12
bmw_dna
Modded

My Ride: e60 525 - e46 vert
bump
bmw_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
dcomb1

My Ride: 330i
I swapped out my original GM 5 for a new one(61 35 6 963 338) today on my 2001 330i sedan. I reprogrammed using the keys and the locks work great. Now only the passenger side window works and other four don't. The new computer must be programmed for a coupe because the windows shut an additional 1-2 mm when the door is shut. Any thoughts???
dcomb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
dcomb1

My Ride: 330i
Just got back from the dealer who spent 2hrs reprogramming my GM 5 and resetting my preferences. Everything works fine now. Total fee was $380 for the GM 5 module and 230 for 2hrs of reprogramming. A small price to pay to not be trapped in your car in an emergency.
dcomb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
vids_blk323Ci
DFW

My Ride: JB 323Ci SP PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci
$610 GOT DANGGGGGGGGG!

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 AM   #16
ilfdlab

My Ride: Not a BMer
Door central locking relays

First of all Hi everybody, great site ! I'm looking for replacement relays for the central locking system of a 323i. I've cleaned the contacts of the old relays & the system is now operating perfect but I would like to buy new relays & replace them. Can anybody help please ? Any links to sites where I can buy new relays ? Thanks in advance.
ilfdlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 PM   #17
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Where to purchase new relays for GM5 (and get it repaired)

You can get GM5 relays from http://www.bmwgm5.com Yes, this module has failed so much that there's a web site. They also will repair it for $100 including return next day shipping.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
You can get GM5 relays from http://www.bmwgm5.com Yes, this module has failed so much that there's a web site. They also will repair it for $100 including return next day shipping.
That web site is amazing and full of info!

Curious if anyone has sent their GM5 to him for repair?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #19
AVR2A

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Thanks to everyone who put this stuff up here. I for one am so sick of the locks that I'm going to send my module off to him and get the thing fixed. I'll post back with the results. My wife won't go near the car 'cause she's afraid of being locked in or have the passengers locked in or out (which ever is more in-convenient). She said she thought she was going to have to break the window to get the kids out, but I told her to just put it down instead.
AVR2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #20
AVR2A

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Thought I'd write the update. I sent my GM5 to Scott at http://www.bmwgm5.com The service was excellent. I mailed my module out priority mail on a Thursday and had it back in the car the following Tuesday. You could probably do it faster if you overnight it both ways, I only did the return trip. So far so good, but the real test comes when it gets hot enough or it rains some.
AVR2A is offline   Reply With Quote