E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Chadcollins

My Ride: 2002 325i sedan
325i suspension question need advise

I've performed many searches and have founds lots of information about suspension upgrades but I can't find any solid information that helps me in my decision. I've got a 2002 325i sedan with 130xxx miles. I'm way over due a suspension refresh. By the way I've replaced LCA, LCAB, sway bar links, tie rod ends, calipers repair, and rotors. I'm wanting to refresh my suspension with new shocks & struts and mounts. My goal is a great ride so I'm not overly concerned with performance. Can anyone recommend a shock/strut that will give me the best ride? All post I've read are geared toward performance that's why I'm asking this.
Chadcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
bmwnick

My Ride: 2002 330i
A-lot is going to depend on how much you're willing to budget. If you want a stock ride, go with OE coil springs (or Suplex; OE ride for a little less $$) and Sachs shocks/struts. If you want a more aggressive look and "sportier" feel, get Eibach or Bavarian Auto Springs with Koni's or Bilsteins. I'm personally not a huge fan of Bilsteins but a-lot of people swear by them. All of this is just my personal opinion.

It's also important to note, make sure all of your bushings (esp rear since you've already taken care of the front) are in good shape.
bmwnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
bmwnick

Oh, and get HD Meyle shock mounts on the rear. MUCH better design than OE as I have found!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Chadcollins

My budget is $600.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
bmwnick

$600 Will get you a nice set of Koni's. This of course is without the installation kits (perch pads, dust boots compression absorbers etc.) That what I would recommend. Great shocks with lifetime warranty and they are on sale at Bavauto.com

Even if you don't want to pull the trigger on the Koni's, shop around the site, they have a-lot of different options and brands...and my favorite part: they guarantee lowest price or will match it if you find it cheaper somewhere else.

Like I said though, whichever you decide, get the Meyle HD shock mounts for the rear. Half the price and a better design.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
bmwnick

Koni Orange Shocks Struts also on sale:

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=5086
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Chadcollins

I went with Sach's and Suplex heavy duty springs. I'm very happy with performance and ride!!