E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
wateece

My Ride: 318i Touring
Dog Rough after fixing control arm bushes.

Hi Guys

I replaced my control arm bushes today using the info on here, was pleased with how it went until I dropped it off the ramp and went for drive. The handling was much improved but the car perfomance stank.

Basically she has no pull, revs a lot, mpg drops massivley yet mph on creeps up. You can get up to speed but it takes ages.

I honestly cant believe I disturbed anything as there isnt much to disturb, so I plugged it in and I get a p0366 and p0011 fault return, which is the exhaust crankcase position sensor. Spent some time on here and also read that it could be a CVV failure as I have the sypmtoms for that too.

I have mayo on the dipstsick, its beens been burning oil recently but I also switched to 10/ 40 after reading on here that sometimes works.

I really am skint at the mo, so am looking for ideas on what to do next.

It's a 318i Touring 2002 with 110000 miles on the clock

any ideas.

Cheers

Will
wateece is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Ruthlessone3k

My Ride: 323i
By "mayo" on the dipstick I'm assuming you mean there is water in your oil and it looks like a milky sludge on your dipstick. If this is the case you need to find the source and eliminate it. The most common cause I know of is a head gasket leaking. But I'm new to e46's so there could be something else I suppose. In any case the water in your oil in a disaster waiting to happen. This will cause your bearings to fail very quickly, you will end up with bad crank bearings and rod knocking. worst case you could grenade your block. The poor performance sounds like limp mode.

LET ME BE VERY CLEAR, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE WITH WATER IN THE OIL!!!

Last edited by Ruthlessone3k; 12-08-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Ruthlessone3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
wateece

I read that this was often another symptom of a failed cvv. I know it can also be a head gasket, but am praying it isn't. So want to eliminate cheap options first and know if what I've read is accurate. Thanks for the reply much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Based upon what you've written it appears that you had other issues going on before you changed the control arm bushings. With the car inclined on the ramp for a period of time that could have allowed more coolant to get into the oil if you have a head gasket leak. Strange problem indeed but replacement control arm bushings don't cause that behaviour. Check your coolant to see if it has oil in it. Good luck.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Virtually everything you mention as a potential problem can be tested for, and I think you should plan on doing some of these tests. Some can be found on youtube.
Let us know if you need any specifics on how to do these?
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
pleiades

My Ride: M52TU
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...80&hg=11&fg=15

My guess is that your oil separator is clogged and needs to be replaced along with all the hoses. Either that or you need to drive the car for longer stints at higher RPMs and see if that clears out the mayo.

The mayo is more common in the CCV (oil separator) system when the weather is cold. It's an emulsion of spent emission fumes (which includes water) and oil.

Last edited by pleiades; 12-08-2012 at 02:01 PM.
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Ruthlessone3k

My Ride: 323i
Do an oil change and tell us how much "mayo" is in the water. This could help tell the difference between contamination from the CCV and a head gasket. Also check the coolant for signs of oil. Head gaskets often leak both directions oil in water and water in oil.
Ruthlessone3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Stinger9

True, and if the removed oil is recently changed, and comes out looking good, you can put it back in if $ are an issue.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
wateece

So been doing some more reading on testing a failed cvv. Balloon on the dipstick or plastic.bag over the filler cap? Or something else I haven't read or heard.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
pleiades

My Ride: M52TU
You should have slight vacuum, whether at oil cap or DS tube. No vacuum or strong vacuum = dubious CCV.
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wateece View Post
.bag over the filler cap?
This the best
Old 12-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
wateece

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1324504

This is what made me thinks its the cvv.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #13
wateece

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I plan to do the vacuum test this morning and also have a look at the coolant. Is a failed CVV likely to throw up the codes I get or could these also need doing too???
Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #14
wateece

Just remembered another question, would I be able to reach 80mph in limp mode???
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
wateece

Just spotted the time difference, you chaps will be tucked up in bed.

I tried a couple of the tests recommended on here, and have posted the videos below. Apologies for the poor film work but its hard with just one hand. Not knowing what an excessive vacuum is, i would be interested to have your views.

Once again cheers!

Last edited by wateece; 12-09-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Stinger9

It's a rotten video (no offense), but I'd say it's excessive vacuum as far as we can see.
You've also got a vicious rattle there that I'd be concerned about. If I were you I'd get my hands on a stethoscope to listen to each individual component with more precision that you can do without. Here in the states I got a cheapie for $4, so hope you can get something close.
Take a close look (listen) to that DISA for the rattle.

What stuff have you previously replaced?

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
wateece

Hey no offence taken, I know it's poor. Will add it to my lost of worries, and things to check. Should it suck that much? Or is the video just to poor to tell.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
Stinger9

Excessive means too much.

Come back with better vid (like you see at youtube) if you want an upgrade in our diagnosis.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #19
wateece

Well it turns out you were right to be worried about the rattle car broke down today, looks like the cam tensioner has gone and also the guides. Must have been on.it's way so big expense heading my way. Thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
Stinger9

Sorry for that kind of news. Hoped it was just gonna be some part that was falling apart that would be easy to replace.
Keep us posted on what happens.