E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Any skeet guys out there?

I'm thinking about picking this up. A few guys at work were talking about it earlier last week and it sounds like fun. I've only punched holes in paper, never shot clays/skeet/trap etc, nor have I ever hunted although that is something else I would like to try in the future.

My question is can anyone recommend a shotgun that could serve as a skeet gun, hunting gun and HD? I was doing some reading up over the weekend and it sounds like the popular choice for skeet would be an o/u shotgun but would there be a better option instead of buying multiple shotguns?

I'm not quite sure on a budget yet since I'm just tossing this idea around right now but if any of you guys have any experience or input, I'd love to hear it.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Remington 870.

Cheap to buy so you can find out if this is something you want to do or not. It's also a good shotgun. Only downside is that it is a pump gun which tends to be a disadvantage for trap/skeet but you get use to it pretty quick.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 12-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
i bought a benelli supernova specifically for 5-stand clays. I love it, no complaints at all.

A shotgun thats good for trap will need a long barrel length, 28"+. This would make it poorly suited for HD duty imo.

rem870 or mossberg 500 will certaihnly be cheaper than my benelli, will serve you just as well for sporting purposes.
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Rent a shotgun or two at your local skeet club when you go. It will likely be a far nicer shotgun than you would buy on your own for a sport you don't even know if you like yet. Skeet, trap, and HD guns all have different characteristics, so I wouldn't recommend buying one to serve all roles. If I were to do so, it would be an autoloader of some sort, maybe a Rem 1187?

In any case, you can rent a lot of skeet / trap guns for what it would cost you to purchase one, plus then you can see if you like shooting skeet enough to purchase a shotgun for that purpose.

Just my opinion.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
28" Rem 870 will go a long way to filling each of those roles. It may not be perfect for any of them, but it's pretty good

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
be wary of people's opinion on barrel length when it comes to skeet/trap. I've been shooting for 10 years and everyone on the block swears by every length on the ruler when in reality it is just what is popular at the time. I agree, go to the range and try a few different lengths and guns... I have a Remington Peerless and at 30" I love it. I don't like repeating guns, and prefer over/under and side-by-side. Like most guns, it's all personal preference baby. I can outgun people with my .410 most days of the week. Good luck!
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster.

Much better than an Express, and can be found for around the same price.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
dan03833

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I gave skeet a try last Spring at a friend's gun club; I loved it instantly, so I bought a 12 guage Mossberg 500 pump action. After about 4 months of using that for skeet at my club, I traded it in for an over/under; I went with a Mossberg Silver Reserve II Sporting in 12 guage. I think that purchasing a pump action is not the right way to go, based on my experience; too slow to cycle to shoot doubles, but fine for singles. If an o/u doesn't seem to suit you for your needs, buy a semi-auto. As far as cost goes, they run the gamut, there are several shooters at my club that use $10k shot guns for Trap... just purchase the best shotgun that suits your budget & sensabilities. I my opinion, anything from a major manufacturer will do fine.
dan03833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Did a little skeet and trap in college. Been eyeing some over and unders to get back in to. If that's the case, I going with a Browning Citori.

Last edited by M3_POWER; 12-12-2012 at 04:06 PM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
That Citori can be rented at my local club for $5 / session. I would have a hard time justifying the cost to own one given how cheap it is to rent and my frequency of shooting skeet / trap

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
That Citori can be rented at my local club for $5 / session. I would have a hard time justifying the cost to own one given how cheap it is to rent and my frequency of shooting skeet / trap
Yeah, well, unfortunately I don't have that opportunity. You can get a good price on a used one.