E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
Bad Clutch?

I was driving my Manual M3 in first gear to about 8000rpm but then I hit trouble. I can't recall what happened 100% but when I went to shift, the car bucked and I couldn't engaged it to second. I pulled over and tried putting it in first with the engine running but it wouldn't go in so I just turned the engine off, put it in first and turned it on and drove home with no clutch. The car was warmed up when this happened. The next morning when the car cooled down, I was able to put the car into gear with it running but the clutch pedal feels really stiff and it has a weird vibration on the pedal. Could this be a slave cylinder issue or damaged clutch disc? Also, my M3 is a EU model and I live in the US so if i do have to replace the clutch, would it have to be from anther EU M3 or can I use a US M3 clutch? This clutch also has 39,000 miles on it if its original.
XKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
///mteknikk

My Ride: 02 E46 M3
when you try accelerating, does the clutch seem to slip? like do the revs go high in the tach and then come down and catch? burnt smell? and as to the EU or US clutch im not sure about that, havent worked on any EU M3s
///mteknikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
The clutches should be identical. The major difference between the EU and NA version of the e46 M3 is that the NA versions have the front catalysts mounted in the exhaust manifold in order to meet stricter warm up cycle requirements, while the EU cars have them mounted aft of the manifold.

A worn clutch plate shouldn't cause the problems that you are experiencing. It sounds like your clutch isn't completely disengaging when you push the pedal down. I would look at the slave cylinder first, and if that's okay, then do a tear down to see what's going on (e.g. a broken return spring).

Last edited by DSilk56; 10-29-2012 at 03:13 PM.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
///mteknikk

My Ride: 02 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk56 View Post
The clutches should be identical. The major difference between the EU and NA version of the e46 M3 is that the NA versions have the front catalysts mounted in the exhaust manifold in order to meet stricter warm up cycle requirements, while the EU cars have them mounted aft of the manifold.

A worn clutch plate shouldn't cause the problems that you are experiencing. It sounds like your clutch isn't completely disengaging when you push the pedal down. I would look at the slave cylinder first, and if that's okay, then do a tear down to see what's going on (e.g. a broken return spring).
there you go XKR and thanks dsilk56 ive added this into my knowledge and stuff, i really didnt know if there was a difference but know i do
///mteknikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mteknikk View Post
when you try accelerating, does the clutch seem to slip? like do the revs go high in the tach and then come down and catch? burnt smell? and as to the EU or US clutch im not sure about that, havent worked on any EU M3s
Not sure, I'll probably check it out after this hurricane passes. And thanks to everyone providing me with useful information and I hope it helps everyone!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
XKR

The clutch does not seem to slip but the pedel feels like the brake pedel after your pumped it a lot while the engine is off. I don't smell any burning but if you push it in really hard while its warm or cold the clutch disengage but it just grinds the gears when it's hot. Also when it's when it's hot, it's impossible to change gear's without causing damage.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
BMWNTHZST

My Ride: '11 E70 X5M & E46 M3
what was the solution?

When I engage my clutch and changes gears (any gear) from a stand still or while rolling I I hear a clunk and it' also hard to get the shifter in a gear. It's real bad when cold but still happens once warmed up. I'm thinking new clutch is require

2011 E70 X5 ///M Black Sapphire Metallic / Black
2008 E93 335i Convertible Black Sapphire Metallic / Saddle Brown
2004 E46 ///M3 Laguna Seca Blue / Black
1997 E31 840CI Jet Black / Black
2011 E92 ///M3 Apline White / Black (gone but no forgotten)
BMWNTHZST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
XKR

I finally had my car towed down to my mechanic and he said the clutch is ruined and it messed up the flywheel somehow so I need to replace the clutch and flywheel. I was recommended the brand Sachs so I ordered the clutch off of amazon for 300 bucks http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 BUT I can't find a flywheel yet because the one I found was 600 dollars and I'm not sure how much they cost so I'm doing more research on it. This is such a headache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNTHZST View Post
what was the solution?

When I engage my clutch and changes gears (any gear) from a stand still or while rolling I I hear a clunk and it' also hard to get the shifter in a gear. It's real bad when cold but still happens once warmed up. I'm thinking new clutch is require
Old 12-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
BMWNTHZST

My Ride: '11 E70 X5M & E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
I finally had my car towed down to my mechanic and he said the clutch is ruined and it messed up the flywheel somehow so I need to replace the clutch and flywheel. I was recommended the brand Sachs so I ordered the clutch off of amazon for 300 bucks http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 BUT I can't find a flywheel yet because the one I found was 600 dollars and I'm not sure how much they cost so I'm doing more research on it. This is such a headache.
Thanks for the update!

I hope you source your parts and get back on the road soon.
BMWNTHZST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Dual mass flywheel stock - they are able to be damaged as there are dampers that make the engagement and disengagement smoother (this is design is to make daily driving softer - more polite/docile). Factory ones are like $1,200 from BMW - the ones I get through my work are $600 (which is the exact same one you'd get from BMW)and are 1 business day out. P/N 21.21.2.229.900

Last edited by scca_ziptie; 12-13-2012 at 05:01 PM.
scca_ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
juju396

My Ride: 02 e46 m3
Op; I just replaced my clutch and flywheel this past summer; you can buy a brand new oem luk flywheel from 3guysautoparts for $270.09 not including shipping. Use the searchcode "DMF050" for the special price. If they say anything, just tell them that I referred you (order #104940, 05/31/12)

http://www.3guysautoparts.com/
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...872&highlight=
juju396 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch