E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Quadrant5

My Ride: 2000 323i
MDK issue leads to DME suspicion

Hey guys, I could use your help on this one.

I have a 2000 323i 4 door with manual transmission. A couple of months ago I pulled away from a stop light when the EML and DSC lights came on. The MDK (throttle body) also was put into Emergency Operation 2, which allowed me to limp home at 20 MPH.

I ran the codes to see what was wrong. I donít remember exactly which ones came up, but it pointed to the throttle position sensor, which is located inside the MDK. I replaced the MDK with a used one, which didnít work. I replaced that one with a new one, which didnít work. I replaced that one with another new one, which didnít work. It is of interest that when I use my new MDK, the car is in Emergency Operation 1, and occasionally slips into Emergency Operation 2. When I use my original MDK, it stays in Emergency Operation 1. At least I can get to work at 50 MPH.

I have checked, rechecked and rechecked the wiring and found no issues. That led me to believe that maybe there was a problem with the computer. However, I seem to remember that somewhere I read that you werenít supposed to replace the computer under any circumstances (that is, when trying to fix the MDK). That led me to the stealership.

BMW wanted $1,700 to replace the computer. That led me to try to research how to do it myself. I purchased a used computer online and read on the forums how to replace it. I know the EWS system is a challenge when doing this. So I thought I would try flashing my computer using WinKFP using daten 7526765. I had hoped that maybe the programing was corrupted somehow and that flashing it would help. It didnít.

I know that if I want to use the computer I purchased I will have to buy more stuff to deal with the EWS system, which I would rather not do. This is where I could use your help.

Does anyone have experience with a similar problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might try before getting into reprograming the used computer?

I do have INPA, WinKFP, SSS Progman, NFS, Tool32, NCS Expert and DIS V52 to work with.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, youíre my only hope.

Quadrant5
Quadrant5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Not so fast my friend... I too drive a 00 E46 323i and when I had the same exact codes in my bimmer it turned out that my throttle body was sealed shut by carbon build-up. It was so bad I had to use a hammer and chisel to initially open the flap. So before you go out and purchase a new ECU or re-flash your DME take a little time and clean your throttle and idle control valve while you're in there... Just my two and a half cents worth!
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Quadrant5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
Not so fast my friend... I too drive a 00 E46 323i and when I had the same exact codes in my bimmer it turned out that my throttle body was sealed shut by carbon build-up. It was so bad I had to use a hammer and chisel to initially open the flap. So before you go out and purchase a new ECU or re-flash your DME take a little time and clean your throttle and idle control valve while you're in there... Just my two and a half cents worth!
Yeah, I tried that. No dice.

Quadrant5
Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
Did you follow the reset instruction at the bottom of the link after installing the new MDK? DIS will be the one to use.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/06/04/50
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Quadrant5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslboomer View Post
Did you follow the reset instruction at the bottom of the link after installing the new MDK? DIS will be the one to use.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/06/04/50
Sorry, your link is not valid.

Quadrant5
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
dslboomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrant5 View Post
Sorry, your link is not valid.
Where were you for last 10 days?
Sadly the spaghetticoder.org took down E46 service manual since yesterday.
That's real bummer!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
That's real bummer!
:/ oh no!

Last edited by Gus330vrum; 12-21-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Quadrant5

Quote:
That's real bummer!
Unfortunately I have been out of town and very busy. I do believe that you were encouraging me to reset my adaptations using DIS. If that is so, I assure you that I did do that.

Quadrant5
Old 12-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
dslboomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrant5 View Post
Unfortunately I have been out of town and very busy. I do believe that you were encouraging me to reset my adaptations using DIS. If that is so, I assure you that I did do that.
I think that was it. I didn't read through it though.
If you did that with a new MDK, and you still have problem, I think you should start fresh. What codes do you have?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Quadrant5

Quote:
I think that was it. I didn't read through it though.
If you did that with a new MDK, and you still have problem, I think you should start fresh. What codes do you have?
Sorry, I've been busy, again. I do appreciate your efforts to help. It was a long time ago that I looked at the exact codes. One was, I believe, 169. That just indicates a MDK problem as I recall. The other, I think, was 114. That has to do with a bad signal being sent to the DME from the MDK. Or was it that the redundant potintiometers did not agree with each other? Either way, it seems that the issue is that the MDK is sending the wrong signal (bad MDK), or the signal is not reaching the DME (wiring or connection issue), or that the DME itself is not interpreting the signal right (DME problem).

I don't think it is the MDK, as I have replaced it twice with brand new units and still have my problem.

I don't think it is the wiring because I have checked and double checked and tripple checked it with no problems. Plus there is no evidence of bad connections.

That leaves the DME itself. That also agrees with what the dealership told me when I took it in to them.

Any suggestions?

Quadrant5

Quadrant5

Tags
computer, dme, ews, mdk, throttle body