E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
lucas_pln

My Ride: 330I '05
Power steering and transmission diy

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to fix my p/s leak and change fluid in transmission.

I have a leak from this return pipe (nr 7 on this diagram).
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...58&hg=32&fg=20

I know that sometimes it is better to replace more stuff while you are there so my question is, do I need pressure hose? How often should that be replaced? I'm asking because of the price of it, of course.

As for the transmission. I have GM tranny and blue sticker on it with part number: 83220024359
I'm only stuck with selection of tranny fluid. It seems that this part number has been superseded by another one and at the end there is nothing I'm confident with besides OEM from the dealer but they don't sell it in small amount I need since they get it in barrels.

Does anyone have the same part number and did transmission fluid? If so, what fluid did you go with?
lucas_pln is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
you have a 05 so I think you can get away just replacing the #7 hose. I have a 2000 and I replaced all the PS system hoses. just make sure you use regular ATF to fill your PS system. No need to buy special power steering fluid like the newer BMW. the manual calls for normal ATF.

as for the GM tranny fluid. GM makes Dexron (newest version is Dexron VI) fluid for thier tranny. BMW sells Dexron VI in a quart (blue bottle) or a gallon (black bottle). Dexron isn't a life time fluid so just make sure you change it regulary (depending on driving conditions 30,000-60,000 miles). Dexron color is bright red.

the thing is that BMW doesn't use Dexron fluid from the factory. They used the lifetime fluid so the color is brownish or greyish. I have a GM tranny on my e46 and E90. I recently did the transmission fluid service and replaced the "lifetime fluid" with the Dexron fluid.

lastly, just make sure when you fill your tranny that the engine is running, tranny oil at right temp and that you cycle through all the gear. if you turn off your engine then you will have an incorrect reading (it will give you a "higher reading" since all the fluid in the torque converter will dump back into the sump and you think you have reached your max fill limit.

I hope this helps.

the 30,000 to 60,000 miles is just an estimate based on what I have read and learned. it is a subjective range. therefore, IB4 anyone decides to sharpshoot the mileage figures

Last edited by flashmeow; 12-24-2012 at 12:00 PM.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
lucas_pln

Thanks. Which brand of Dex VI did you use and how much is required?
I see kits with 8quarts, but then I see some DIY videos advising to switch between gears and then flush again to get old fluid out of torque converter and in order to do that, more fluid is required.

8 quarts = 2 gallon which is 7.4 liters.
Some guides say that 2 or even 3 gallons is needed (around 11 liters) to get complete flush done.

I've watched ECS Tunning video and they just replaced whatever drained out. They also sell transmission kits with 8 quarts of Redline 4.

This is so confusing.

I know that oil for our cars is made by Castrol.
Is this fluid OK for 390R trasmission then?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...zoneAssigned=1

Last edited by lucas_pln; 12-24-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_pln View Post
Thanks. Which brand of Dex VI did you use and how much is required?
I see kits with 8quarts, but then I see some DIY videos advising to switch between gears and then flush again to get old fluid out of torque converter and in order to do that, more fluid is required.

8 quarts = 1 gallon which is 3.7 liters.
Some guides say that 2 or even 3 gallons is needed (around 11 liters) to get complete flush done.

I've watched ECS Tunning video and they just replaced whatever drained out. They also sell transmission kits with 8 quarts of Redline 4.

This is so confusing.

I know that oil for our cars is made by Castrol.
Is this fluid OK for 390R trasmission then?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...zoneAssigned=1
I used the BMW dexron v1. When I get home I can take some pix of the quart and gallon bottles for u.

Honestly...any dexron v1 will do cuz the Gm license their formula. So there isn't any difference with BMW dexron or Mobil1, etc

Go with the recommendation of ecs tuning. U can drain and fill a few times to get rid of those residual fluid in the coolant pipes,
Heat exchanger and TC but it is not really required unless u r anal.

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App

Last edited by flashmeow; 12-24-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
boongsin12

My Ride: none
Quote:

8 quarts = 1 gallon which is 3.7 liters.
4 quarts == 1 gallon!
boongsin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
A pan drop/ filter change and refill will take 6 liters.

I used Liqui moly Top Tech 1200 ATF because it is spec'd as a direct replacement for our Texaco fluid, and because Bavarian auto had it and it was right down the road.

Have you got a price on that PS hose yet? I'm curious because I had to replace hose # 11 (the other quick connect) and it was $72!

Last edited by 7xWDC-MSC; 12-24-2012 at 12:44 PM.
7xWDC-MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
lucas_pln

Quote:
Originally Posted by boongsin12 View Post
4 quarts == 1 gallon!
Correct. My mistake, thanks for pointing it out. I've fixed all number so no one gets confused.

Last edited by lucas_pln; 12-24-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
lucas_pln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xWDC-MSC View Post
A pan drop/ filter change and refill will take 6 liters.

I used Liqui moly Top Tech 1200 ATF because it is spec'd as a direct replacement for our Texaco fluid, and because Bavarian auto had it and it was right down the road.

Have you got a price on that PS hose yet? I'm curious because I had to replace hose # 11 (the other quick connect) and it was $72!
Yeah, they are pricey.
Mine is $67 genuine or replacement for $49.50 from Pelican parts.
I think I'm going to go genuine BMW on these. I don't want to go back to P/S area.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Yeah, they are pricey.
Mine is $67 genuine or replacement for $49.50 from Pelican parts.
I think I'm going to go genuine BMW on these. I don't want to go back to P/S area.
I went genuine, if a $20 bill saves the hassle of doing it again it's worth it. While you're at it, since you will have to drain the PS reservoir to do this, you may as well pick up a new reservoir/ filter if it's original. It was $45 for a Genuine BMW replacement.
7xWDC-MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
lucas_pln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xWDC-MSC View Post
I went genuine, if a $20 bill saves the hassle of doing it again it's worth it. While you're at it, since you will have to drain the PS reservoir to do this, you may as well pick up a new reservoir/ filter if it's original. It was $45 for a Genuine BMW replacement.
Agreed.
I plan on doing hoses 7, 11, 1 and P/S reservoir since filter is placed at the bottom of it.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
flashmeow
Banned User

Lucas...if u r replacing more than several ps hoses then I recommend the following to get the majority of the old fluid out.

Just disconnect any one of the ps hose. With engine OFF turn your wheel from lock to lock and u will be surprise how much more fluid u can empty out from the cooling pipes and steering rack.

The above method is how I do my ps services on my e46 and e90. I don't do the drain and fill method at all

Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
lucas_pln

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
Lucas...if u r replacing more than several ps hoses then I recommend the following to get the majority of the old fluid out.

Just disconnect any one of the ps hose. With engine OFF turn your wheel from lock to lock and u will be surprise how much more fluid u can empty out from the cooling pipes and steering rack.

The above method is how I do my ps services on my e46 and e90. I don't do the drain and fill method at all

Will do, thanks.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
petemo94

My Ride: 2004 325CiC
I just went thru this "transmission fluid" scavenger hunt. I know your feeling on not being 100% sure.

I finally settled on Valvoline Dexron VI Synthetic. Got a case of it from Amazon for $92.

Drained fluid, dropped pan, changed fluid and refilled with only 4 quarts. Then drained a second time. Put in 5.5 qts the second time. This was due to warming the transmission more the 2nd time.

Been 200+ miles with no ill affect from it. Bmw service uses this same ATF fluid and it works well with the GM transmission.

Good luck with it.

PeteMo94
2004 325Cic, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Owned since 12/1/12
///M3 Floor Mats - Power under my feet!

petemo94 is offline   Reply With Quote