E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Complete Cars

Complete Cars
List your BMW or other cars, trucks or vehicles for sale.

Don't forget to search for deals on craigslist and eBay Motors

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
bgawad

My Ride: 325ci
Navigation retrofit help please!!

hey all i really need some help and advice for this DIY.

I bought an 02 e46 about 5 months ago with a missing radio. The car already had the climate control relocation so i ordered a dynavan unit. Im not all that impressed with the sound quality with this unit. When its on the ipod or usb setting it not loud at all, almost ridiculous how low the speakers are working. On FM its much more manageable. So i think i want to sell the dynavan and go with a gps retrofit from the factory. Im not sure what is involved in doing this. I researched and saw i need a harness for the retrofit. But my main question is whats the difference between a retrofit harness and lets say the harness i find from a scraped M3 in the yard. Are both these harnesses identical? Then what do i do with the harness behind the radio currently? how do i get the business radio harness to integrate with the navigation harness? lastly i have the harmon kardon system so would that affect what harness i need? any help would be great im willing to do a write up for future people as long as i can get help to do so.. Thanks again!!!
bgawad is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
bgawad

im located in Edison NJ if anyone was willing to give me some insight.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
tb330

My Ride: 2006 Acura TL
Why did you post this in the FS section? Your probably not going to get very many responses unless you post it in the correct forum.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
bgawad

ill change it right now thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
bgawad

i dont know how to switch threads mods please help move this
Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
jerseyzillest

My Ride: 325 CI
Well you could get the harness from the m3 or a car that had stock navi it won't matter as long as you have all components, the navi, navigation system, the amp, etc.
if you sell the dynavin let me know I'd be interested

^Taken with iPhone^
:rofl:
jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
bgawad

im actually very interested in selling the dynavin so i guess this thread is in the right place. If someone can help me with the retrofit ill give them dibs on the unit for a good price. So theirs no difference in the oem navigation harness that comes in the cars from the factory and the retrofit harness that bmw sells for 350? also how does the harness behind my radio attach to harness?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
jerseyzillest

My Ride: 325 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgawad View Post
im actually very interested in selling the dynavin so i guess this thread is in the right place. If someone can help me with the retrofit ill give them dibs on the unit for a good price. So theirs no difference in the oem navigation harness that comes in the cars from the factory and the retrofit harness that bmw sells for 350? also how does the harness behind my radio attach to harness?
The navi has a double plug and the harness has to basically go through the whole car, seats have to be removed carpet has to be lifted, you might be better off just buying a pioneer double din and just buy the bezel. You'll spend less money and time and have a better system

^Taken with iPhone^
:rofl:
jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
bgawad

yea from the pics i looked at everything has to be removed but i honestly dont mind. I have a pionner avic Z3 (favorite navigation unit of all time) but i feel itll look hideous in our e46 especially with the blue leds instead of orange like the bimmer. Im trying to keep a stock look. All in All besides removing everything the trunk is going to have the brain unit and the tuner. the harness attaches to these no problem now when running the harness to the monitor how do i do that? My biggest problem i have is figuring out where to attach the original e46 harness. How does one harness get attached to another?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
Delmarco wrote up a lot about the retrofit which might help you:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=798849