E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
dan19

My Ride: bmw e46
bmw e46 speakers

Only one side of my bmw e46 speakers are working why is this?
dan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Be careful here as some may refer you to a remote trunk amp. All US spec cars have the head unit with the HK or Business CD routed to the amp. Some Euro heads have the amp built in and no remote. We have no clue what the Aussy flavor is like? How many total speakers do you have? That will narrow it down. Thinking two dead channels. Left front & rear for example but that would be odd. Two blown speakers? Maybe but strange.

Tell us more details. Could be a loose connector.

Cheers

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 12-13-2012 at 07:54 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
dan19

ah k thanks mate i installed a sub and amp like a year ago and brought it back to place where i had it installed and they tested the speakers with some tool and said there working and then he said it could be some box in boot that could be stuffed but how can i check ?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
dan19

And i have to parcel shelf speakers and 2 tweeters and 2 speakers in front .
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
White_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan19 View Post
And i have to parcel shelf speakers and 2 tweeters and 2 speakers in front .
Sounds like the Euro spec. head unit with an internal amp. You only added a sub that's powered by one additional amp right? Your cabin speakers are either powered from a factory, boot mounted 4-6 channel amp or the head. You did not have a second aftermarket cabin speaker amp installed correct?

The shop is suggesting a factory amp hidden behind the left panel looking into the boot. Pop out the side fabric panel and you'll see brackets where the amp may be. Should there be one and it's stuffed, usually we just upgrade to an aftermarket flavor that supports speaker level inputs or use a line adapter to step down the inputs to line level. These systems are not conventional car audio. The factory amps are not worthy to repair.

Unfortunately, we Yanks are not familiar with your layout. We have 10 speaker systems with a 10 channel boot mounted amp. I understand you do not have the remote amp but have a look, can't hurt.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
dan19

hey mate yeh i have only added a sub and amp and i didnt have a second aftermarket amp so do you reckon just replace the factory with aftermarket and it should work? and could u please send me a picture what the factory amp looks like in boot ?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
White_Knuckles

The problem is, all heads send 4 channels at speaker (hot) level either directly to the speakers or directly to the boot amp input. There are NO RCA, shielded cables (line-level) ran front to rear like aftermarket stereos use. This means, I can't say if your trunk amp is the problem. Should the head channel outputs be failing, the trunk amp will have no input signal and may be fine. A proper shop should identify the point of failure easily!

Does your head say "Business CD" on it? That head has an amp built in and may route directly to your speakers with no boot amp. The sub amp input is probably connected directly (in parallel) to your rear shelf speakers. The installer should know this or you may trace out the input wires. The sub will make bass with only one input channel present. If the sub inputs are going toward the left cover, they may have used the amp or speaker harness to tap the signals. Pull that boot cover off and all will be revealed. I'd unhook the sub amp to isolate it is not the problem snuffing the dead channel(s). Or the shop hacked the wiring causing the problem.

Check out below link Pic 2. It's an older model but basically is the same as an E46 showing what's hidden behind the left panel. The bracket is huge with a thick wiring harness including multiple connectors for an Amp or CD changer. You may find loose connectors not hooked to anything. That's normal as some are pre-wired for accessories you may not have. The Amp will be a mounted box with connector(s) plugged into it. If there is nothing mounted, you're back to the head-unit. You need to determine where the signal is failing and not assume it's the amp output. This is performed by inserting a test speaker at connector pin points. A schematic diagram is required. You're solving for, is the head sending audio to the amp's inputs? And is the amp sending an output to the speakers? I still believe you will not find an amp with a 6 speaker system.

Good luck mate!!

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e46/ste...tallation.html

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 12-15-2012 at 03:07 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
dan19

I have the nav screen in myn so you reckon if i replace that factory amp it should be fine ?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
White_Knuckles

NAV has a trunk unit separate from the amp. Do not replace the factory amp unless you verify the head unit is sending audio inputs. Your best bet may be to find a proper shop familiar with these systems. Please review post #7 explaining why it may not even be an amp issue.